Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

53 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...back in the day, it was termed in Britain as soccer......the fact that the Americans now use this term I would surmise would be to distinguish from American Football (Gridiron) and Football (soccer).

Don’t let logic stand in the way of xenophobia and arrogance.

Incidentally they call it soccer in Japan, too.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...back in the day, it was termed in Britain as soccer......the fact that the Americans now use this term I would surmise would be to distinguish from American Football (Gridiron) and Football (soccer).

It’s scandalous they call Gridiron ‘ football’ as they hardly ever use their feet.

1 hour ago, 80footgiraffe said:

Gosens, Daka, Soumare and the Hungarian lad + Tielemans deal would be possibly our best ever window. At least the best since we came up

Would be exciting wouldn't it!  I just can't see us getting Gosens or Daka to be honest. I will happily be proved wrong though. 

Guest Bert Fill
13 minutes ago, NYC Fox Fan said:

I hate some of the terminology we Americans use. For example, boot vs trunk. Kills me. 

Never understood how it came to be called a boot. Trunk makes much more sense historically.

6 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Never understood how it came to be called a boot. Trunk makes much more sense historically.

I believe Henry Ford had described it initially as bonnet and boot. My source of English Terminology comes from Clarkson, James May, and Hammond (for what it’s worth).

47 minutes ago, NYC Fox Fan said:

I hate some of the terminology we Americans use. For example, boot vs trunk. Kills me. 

I have lived in the states for 11 years now and I still can’t use the word ‘trash’ it will always be rubbish to me!

1 minute ago, 4everfox said:

The best one I've noticed is the word "gas" being used instead of petrol...which is a liquid.

I actually call it petrol. In New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas. I always tell the gas attendant petrol and they flip out. Another one is pram vs stroller...

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

I also can’t believe they call the backside a Fanny don’t they know Anatomy just laughable when you hear an American says he’s kept his Fanny pack strapped tightly don’t you just want to say ffs it’s a bum bag !!😂

Guest Bert Fill
51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....funnily enough, trunk is a better description of the space!!!

I’ve always assumed it’s from the early cars when you strapped your trunk on the back?