Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fazzyfox

That Mad Minute

(Feel free to merge if it's not deemed worthy of it's own thread)

The minute of huge drama, what did you go through?

The ball comes across, it looks like a very dangerous situation, you worry whenever there's a loose ball in the six yard box and there are bodies about but it's a clearance deflected off another player though at the time I couldn't tell what had happened, you just see the net move, our boys sink, but like every goal nowadays you have a hope something will rule it out, that it's not definite, then the realization Chilwell was involved, then seeing it was Morgan that it had deflected off, the celebration which because of the position of the mics (and the fact they're a cocksure bunch) seemed more in your face than any other, the realization that for extra time we have this defensive formation designed to see out a game for a few minutes and little or no way of making it more attacking, thinking yes we're level but the momentum has swung massively if we have another half hour to play.

Then the first moment they showed a line I went from my yelling at the screen at the Chelsea players (and it wasn't "well done chaps" it was something like "The Queue") to immediately feeling "we're going to be alright". I could see the offside, the only dilemma would be whether it was a scoring part of the body that was offside but I was actually pretty calm. I actually had my own celebration before that huge one came, I was pacing about saying "It's alright, we'll be alright, no goal", confident, sure even that we'd either get the decision or it would be such a huge controversy we'd have the sympathy of the world behind us.

When the ref made the screen signal I thought he was going to point to go over to review but with hindsight VAR had been able to tell him it was clear and that wasn't needed. The second he pointed for the offside ordinarily it would be a split of relief and banter towards the opposition but in this instance for me it was very much 90% joy for us and 10% laughing at Chelsea. 

But how about you? Had anyone stormed out of their house, left the room, damaged something? Kids crying. Non-kids crying? Dogs whimpering? And how was the reaction to the decision, any sofa trampolining, gymnastics or putting your fist through a lampshade? What was your Joy / Banter ratio? At what point did you feel confident it would be over-ruled?

I could have done without it at the time, that minute felt like an age but it has added to the memories and the drama in a big way!

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 1

Absolute devastation, cursing my luck. To annoyance that obviously it had to be chilwell didn't it. Hands firmly placed on head, to concede so late you'd have to fancy Chelsea to win it from there. 

Then I noticed that a few starting to protest with the ref. The ref wasn't walking back up the pitch he was hanging quite deep and hope came back. When he blew his whistle walking back to our area I went as mad as I did for the goal tbh. 

The decision seemed to take an eternity. But in that minute or whatever it was I went from thinking we'd won the cup, to lost it to we won it again. I hate VAR generally, was against it from the off but it gave us another jubilant moment in the final. 

Don't think it was even that close though tbh. Think the lino would be disappointed not to get that himself. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

As soon as he equalised i i was going mental at the TV. Then when they showed the replay of the goal i knew he was offside it was just a case of waiting to see whether they would give it. In the past offsides like that have been overlooked even with VAR available so i was nervous that because of how tight it was and the fact it was the FA cup final they may just let it stand rather than bring VAR into the spotlight.

Called Chilwell every name under the sun in that short space of time and the air turned bluelol

When the ref disallowed it jesus christ i think the neighbours must of thought their had been an earthquake! What a relief! 

Edited by lee7

I don’t think I’ve ever been so gutted in a single moment - head in hands staring at the ground. To me we’d lost it, the team on the pitch weren’t going to score another goal...

Didn't do much when it was disallowed, I immediately started stressing again as soon as we restarted and continued to withstand the previous barrage. It was only at full time that what had happened really sunk in lol 

Guest bss9401

I immediately saw that it was an og and then jumped up and yelled something about Rodgers being a stupid certain lady part for bringing on Morgan. 

Then I celebrated like we'd scored and moments later was yelling that Morgan was a big beautiful certain lady part when he made those clearances. 

PS. Schmeichel is a legend no longer. He is a God.

Guest ttfn
6 minutes ago, shailen said:

I feared the worse not gonna lie. The changes we made, the momentum they would have had, it would have been hard for us to get back in the game.

The bigger moment for me was the Schmeichel save imo, world class isn't even a fitting description for how good that was. Like Kasper or not, he always does it for us in the big games! 

I honestly think we were done if that had counted. To get so close and not see it through would have been awful and our formation would have been an absolute mess for extra time. 

The second that went in it all came flooding back. Never going to win it, always the bridesmaids. Its the story of our relationship with the FA Cup playing out. Despair. Misery. Why, just why? 5 times losers. 

... but then, hold on... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After Kasper’s save from Mount, it just felt wrong. Like an actor had gone off script in a stage play and started ranting at the audience. But then another bloke came onto the stage and whacked him over the head with a giant, inflatable hammer and everyone realised it was a comedy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had a feeling somewhere in the back of my mind that it wasn’t going to count. I didn’t even know why. But I just felt that the stars were aligned and we would win. Having said that, for a split second I was gutted like everyone. 

VAR did it’s job in the end. 

What was worse for me was the fact that as Tilemans shot smashed in to the top corner and I let out a scream of “you ****ing beauty”, my brother said “no wait, wait I think it’s handball, it might not count”. I hadn’t seen a handball and as it turned out, thankfully he was wrong. But that’s what VAR does. It ruins celebrations. However, had we not had VAR we would have been facing ET with all those defensive changes. It’s a bit of a catch 22 this VAR thing. 

VAR is an emotional rollercoaster. On first viewing i thought the Tielemans goal wouldn’t be allowed so didn’t properly celebrate until the cameras cut back and we were playing again. 

And the OG, I thought on first viewing Chilwell was offside so wasn’t too nervous. Until they got the lines out briefly and then carried on playing the goal. I didn’t realise how close it was. But that’s what VAR is for. It wasn’t one of the millimetre calls we’ve seen this season he was clearly offside and the goal was rightly disallowed. End of discussion as far as I’m concerned. Held a good line.

I can see why he brought Morgan on to counter Giroud but you had to wonder was it correct decision.I dont know anyone else thoughts but Evans going off helped us get upfield a bit through Marc  -early on there was a big gap between the pressing group and the back line which Chelsea played into.We got done a couple of times down the sides but classic central defence and a bit of luck did the job

• Like 2

I was already a bag of nerves so quickly ran to the kitchen to get a drink. Whilst in there my son yells that Chelsea have scored so I charged into the living room and he's all smiles going 'nah, only joking'. Huge relief!

2 seconds later, the ball actually goes in... I launched a bean bag across the room by kicking it and was about to go into a rage when I saw the lines appear on the screen. Technically Chelsea scored twice in my head so I went right through the full range of emotions! 

• Haha 1