Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fazzyfox

That Mad Minute

I looked at Castagne’s face on the TV as he looked at the linesman praying for a flag that didn’t come and thought **** this we’re done. Then Sav the fair weather City fan starts saying it’s offside and got my hopes up. 

• Like 1

The thing is all of our eggs had been put into the basket of hanging on in normal time. It wasn't a case of shifting back to 50:50. Chelsea would have been buoyed and probably gone on to win. The swing was huge and they didn't have long enough to correct it. Pure joy.

• Like 3

Is it me or did the VAR flash up and say offside as soon as it came up on the screen? It was then saying checking for possible offside for about a minute but I was certain they’d already made the decision as soon as it came up, was elated as soon as I saw that 

• Like 2

From my angle in the ground there was no indication of there being even a chance of it being offside. Just felt completely heartbroken, particularly because the changes we'd made would have made it close to impossible to go on and win it again. And then when it was Chilwell credited the goal as well that was another huge kick in the teeth. Felt so sick, and then pleading when the check went onto the screen and so ****ing elated when the ref indicated for it.

• Like 1

My immediate thought was 'surely this can't be happening, disallow it already!' - but then straight away I couldn't think of a reason why it would be. It doesn't look offside from the normal angle.

I was with wider family so I didn't want to go into a mad tirade of verbal abuse like I normally would, but I was thinking how stupid it was for us to be so deep for so long and now be level without our top scorer on the pitch. I thought it had gone in off Wes when they cut to him and was thinking what a disastrous sub that was. I was so embarrassed Chilwell was even involved. Nightmare. I did feel we'd have struggled after that.

One of my cousins was very confident it was offside when they showed the replay but I just held my breath waiting for the decision. When he started doing the box signal I celebrated as much as the goal. The started shouting at the telly for them to get out.

The last 15 minutes were the tensest in my football watching life.

• Like 1

At the game, I could see Chillwell's run and the fact Albrighton had lost him in slow motion. The first thing I thought was it was a penalty for Chelsea, then I saw the net bulge and like the OP thought that was it really, we didn't look like scoring another with the team we had on the pitch. Absolutely gutted - 2 minutes from winning the FA Cup. It felt like coming crashing down back to earth.

Because they were walking back so dejected and didn't really appeal I thought it must be a goal. Then - I don't know if this is the case or not - the time between flashing up the VAR review and the offside call seemed so quick. 

When it was disallowed obviously I went totally mental. That told me it was our day. Then I felt physically sick and for 10 seconds I thought I might actually vomit. 

Edited by bovril

15 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Is it me or did the VAR flash up and say offside as soon as it came up on the screen? It was then saying checking for possible offside for about a minute but I was certain they’d already made the decision as soon as it came up, was elated as soon as I saw that 

Yes!! Exactly this. It came on the screen with offside at the bottom and I jumped up and screamed, eyes closed. My mrs was like it only says possible offside as it had disappeared. Man, for a second I knew how Boro fans felt when Emile scored in the last few mins. Thank god that feeling only lasted for a little while.

I'd forgotten all about VAR. I was so busy celebrating our goal I missed their appeals.

I'd still forgotten about VAR when they scored, and was off down the hall kicking things and swearing at inanimate objects. Slumped on the sofa, barely comprehending what was going on until I saw the ref draw the box.

Then I felt a slight tumescent twitch.

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m not really sure what I did.

Think I just had my head in my hands.

People say VAR is bad, players can’t celebrate, etc, I can see where they are coming from but rarely do people look at it from the other view so yesterday the right decision was made and we got the celebrations - it went the other way.

It’s like when Iheanacho scored that last minute goal against Everton, great scenes when it was confirmed because of VAR.

It’s when the stupid decisions where non common sense has been used where I have a problem with VAR.

41 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

That’s not VAR though, that’s the rules and lack of common sense by the people in charge. The interpretation of the rules needs changing but not the use of VAR.

Without VAR we more than likely would be without a cup and saying ‘we were robbed of an FA Cup by poor officials’

Well, for me the answer is to only use VAR for offsides, because they are a matter of fact and not subjective. The referees don't have common sense so it's actually worse giving them a second look for subjective things.

Despite yesterday I would change the offside rule though, so that every part of the players body has to be offside rather than just one bit. A 'daylight' rule, if you will, to encourage more goals.

Given that every one of us died a thousand deaths -- collectively a million deaths? -- I think we held our nerve damned well on the match thread. 

You might have got pages of “we suck, we’ve bottled this” posts, but I don’t recall a single one.

1 hour ago, shailen said:

I feared the worse not gonna lie. The changes we made, the momentum they would have had, it would have been hard for us to get back in the game.

The bigger moment for me was the Schmeichel save imo, world class isn't even a fitting description for how good that was. Like Kasper or not, he always does it for us in the big games! 

Exactly this! Brendan set up to see the game out and went defensive, it may had seen us out for penalties (which I really didn't want never mind extra time) but with the pressure Chelsea put on us for the final few minutes and us not closing down would of killed us with another 30mins left to play. So at the time that feeling that we were a few minutes away from glory to Chilwell out of anyone, it had to be him and the way he smuggly celebrated (his face after 😂) It felt like a loss with the mountain we would of had to climb with a defensive setup. With no more subs left to bring on just threw me into deep depression 😂 but then I think I may have celebrated the VAR decision more than the goal, from feeling rock bottom to absolutely ecstatic within the space of 30 seconds was an amazing feeling. I hate VAR as much as the next fan but the was for the right reason, we deserved it and Top definitely deserved it! UTFF!

I just deflated and kind of accepted the fate, thinking we were so close to the dream. Then the replay and the VAR logo and hope came back. Fine margins went our way, when it mattered the most.

1 hour ago, dynamark said:

I can see why he brought Morgan on to counter Giroud but you had to wonder was it correct decision.I dont know anyone else thoughts but Evans going off helped us get upfield a bit through Marc  -early on there was a big gap between the pressing group and the back line which Chelsea played into.We got done a couple of times down the sides but classic central defence and a bit of luck did the job

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Bringing Morgan & Choudhury on is putting your eggs in one basket. Morgan is ideal for dealing with Giroud and a bombardment into the box. Choudhury is a fantastic midfielder when you're under pressure and trying to see a game out. He's a great athlete, quick and aggressive and ideal for shoring up the middle.

When they "equalised" I did fear that extra time would be one way traffic with us hanging on for penalties with the defensive players we had on the pitch. Overall I have no problem when we're playing a top side and hanging on for a win and BR deciding to make us as solid as possible for the last 10 mins at the expense of being an attacking threat.

i just put my head back and looked at the screen through the bottom of my eyes. it was a familiar feeling as a leicester fan, last minute equaliser. the goal had come about 2 minutes after telling the kids that anything could still happen. and it did, i dont rememebr the full minute, but i shouted like it was a goal and was shocked when the ref disallowed the goal. i knew then the cup was ours. despite have 5 minutes ET to play. what a day

The words ‘that’s so Leicester’ came out. 

Followed by ‘We’re screwed now’ referring to extra time with the defensive line up we had on the pitch.

‘It had to be that pr*ck’ when they announced the scorer on the scoreboard. 

Almost lining up to kick off when it was announced VAR were looking at it ‘Please Please Please Please.......’

Michael Oliver pointed for offside before the scoreboard put anything up ‘Arrrrrrggggghhhhh Hahahahah I love VAR!!’ with more breaking of current government guidelines on social distancing. 

3 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

(Feel free to merge if it's not deemed worthy of it's own thread)

The minute of huge drama, what did you go through?

The ball comes across, it looks like a very dangerous situation, you worry whenever there's a loose ball in the six yard box and there are bodies about but it's a clearance deflected off another player though at the time I couldn't tell what had happened, you just see the net move, our boys sink, but like every goal nowadays you have a hope something will rule it out, that it's not definite, then the realization Chilwell was involved, then seeing it was Morgan that it had deflected off, the celebration which because of the position of the mics (and the fact they're a cocksure bunch) seemed more in your face than any other, the realization that for extra time we have this defensive formation designed to see out a game for a few minutes and little or no way of making it more attacking, thinking yes we're level but the momentum has swung massively if we have another half hour to play.

Then the first moment they showed a line I went from my yelling at the screen at the Chelsea players (and it wasn't "well done chaps" it was something like "The Queue") to immediately feeling "we're going to be alright". I could see the offside, the only dilemma would be whether it was a scoring part of the body that was offside but I was actually pretty calm. I actually had my own celebration before that huge one came, I was pacing about saying "It's alright, we'll be alright, no goal", confident, sure even that we'd either get the decision or it would be such a huge controversy we'd have the sympathy of the world behind us.

When the ref made the screen signal I thought he was going to point to go over to review but with hindsight VAR had been able to tell him it was clear and that wasn't needed. The second he pointed for the offside ordinarily it would be a split of relief and banter towards the opposition but in this instance for me it was very much 90% joy for us and 10% laughing at Chelsea. 

But how about you? Had anyone stormed out of their house, left the room, damaged something? Kids crying. Non-kids crying? Dogs whimpering? And how was the reaction to the decision, any sofa trampolining, gymnastics or putting your fist through a lampshade? What was your Joy / Banter ratio? At what point did you feel confident it would be over-ruled?

I could have done without it at the time, that minute felt like an age but it has added to the memories and the drama in a big way!

Real despair to be honest. The changes we made signified we’d be in for a long long long 30 minutes, and we’d genuinely just be hanging on for penalties. Celebrated the reversal of the decision more than the goal, not going to lie. Threw a few choice words at Chilwell then carried on 😂

• Like 1

Looking back now, I can see how it added to the drama, but at the time I couldn't believe it. Was hard to tell if there was any infringement from where we were standing but I looked at the reaction of the players. Didn't seem like any of the City players were protesting or appealing. No Kasper running up to the ref. We just looked done. 

They even flashed up Chilwell as the scorer on the stadium screen. My thoughts then were that there would be no VAR reprieve this time.

Then when the ref pointed for the free kick. 

Amazing. "Scenes" I believe they call it!

• Like 1