Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group D: England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic

15 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Fair enough (and I'm truly sorry that some ignorant morons have abused you because of your accent in this country), but I think the general point that there is an asymmetry in the way the countries view each other still holds. I want England to beat Scotland on Friday, but I'd very much like it if Scotland beat Croatia and go through to the last 16. Likewise I wish Wales well today, as I would Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland if they were playing (especially the Republic for family reasons). On the other hand, virtually every Scottish, Welsh and Irish friend and acquaintance I've had over the years has absolutely wanted England to fail at international tournaments. I have one Scottish friend - a thoroughly amiable and decent chap - who is consumed by the most passionate desire for England to lose every time we play :D

It's not hard to understand why - it's easier to be magnanimous when you are from the country that has traditionally been dominant rather than from one of the countries that has suffered at your hands. There isn't that history of resentment. But it's silly to pretend there isn't a major disparity between the way that English people generally regard the rest of the UK versus how they regard us.

Let's get this right, there is most CERTAINLY a disparity in how much more we want you to fail than you do us when it comes to sport. There is no denying that in any way shape or form. I myself have spent the last 23 years worth of tournaments picking a team in England's group section to support but like you say, that's purely down to the gulf in levels both teams are at. I would liken it to Forrest or Derby fans probably taking more enjoyment from us getting beat than we do from their failures. 

However, I do want to stress that football is where this disparity ends. I wouldn't say that us Scots dislike the English any more or any less than you dislike us. Similarly to how I've had some comments in England, I know English folk that have had the same in Scotland. I think that alot of English folk feel we dislike you more because of the support for Scottish independence and their inability to understand that being pro Scottish isn't being anti English. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Let's get this right, there is most CERTAINLY a disparity in how much more we want you to fail than you do us when it comes to sport. There is no denying that in any way shape or form. I myself have spent the last 23 years worth of tournaments picking a team in England's group section to support but like you say, that's purely down to the gulf in levels both teams are at. I would liken it to Forrest or Derby fans probably taking more enjoyment from us getting beat than we do from their failures. 

However, I do want to stress that football is where this disparity ends. I wouldn't say that us Scots dislike the English any more or any less than you dislike us. Similarly to how I've had some comments in England, I know English folk that have had the same in Scotland. I think that alot of English folk feel we dislike you more because of the support for Scottish independence and their inability to understand that being pro Scottish isn't being anti English. 

You mean to tell me it’s not all like this:

McGlashan

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Negative test back. Wembley tomorrow then. :cool:

What's the allocation to both countries? 

Will this be the biggest "away" presence in the tournament so far, given obviously it's legally all one sovereign state? 

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What's the allocation to both countries? 

Will this be the biggest "away" presence in the tournament so far, given obviously it's legally all one sovereign state? 

I think Scotland officially got something like 2-3k and the overall allocation is similar to what the Cup final was. Guess the total number of Scots in the crowd could be anything as tickets are quite easily transferrable. Only got mine last week because my mate's old man couldn't make it.

The Scottish part of my socials is full of people complaining about the TV incessantly showing that Gazza goal from 96.

ITV - I'd like a slo' mo' black and white version of the goal footage, set to a slow breathy female vocal of Three Lions (like a bank advert).

At the start and end of each commercial break.

:D

• Haha 2

One of my mates has two spare tickets in a corporate box for the England v Scotland game. He paid £300 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid postponed wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at County Hall, at 2.30pm. The bride's name is Pauline, she's 5'4", about 10 stone, quite pretty, and is a really good cook.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

This is the best apart about a Scotland game. Hours before kick off when there is still excitement and reality kicks in. 

Some outstanding Tartan Army in London content online yesterday. More of the same today please.

• Like 1