Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

England v Croatia match thread

7 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Well I'll be cheering you on, love it if England and Scotland progressed.

Think a win for either us or croatia was better than the draw for them… think Scotland can beat the Czechs they have some good players and playing good football… could sneak second no doubt which would be good to see. 

15 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Think a win for either us or croatia was better than the draw for them… think Scotland can beat the Czechs they have some good players and playing good football… could sneak second no doubt which would be good to see. 

Absolutely. It keeps one of the two in touching distance from the get go. 

13 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Looking at the fact we'd have to play either Germany, Portugal or France in the last 16 if we win the group.....do we really want to? 😅

What’s the point of entering the tournament at all? 

If we want to win we have to beat everyone anyway. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bert said:

What’s the point of entering the tournament at all? 

If we want to win we have to beat everyone anyway. 

You either play them in the last 16 or another round… if you are going for the win maybe playing those teams early could be better. 

5 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

Southgate is as predictable as ever - looks at all his attacking midfield options, then picks 2 DMs, and the only attacking CM is his only permissable choice in any circustances, which is Mason Mount. Grealish is lucky to be in the squad at all, he isn't a Southgate golden boy like Mount, so he will spend his summer watching from the bench as England deliver the attacking threat of a tranquilised sloth. Just like how Maddison couldn't be picked for a squad when he was on form because he didn't have "enough Premiership experience", while Mount was selected while he was playing for Derby.

as England deliver the attacking threat of a tranquilised sloth.  :crylaugh:

just brilliant..

52 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Looking at the fact we'd have to play either Germany, Portugal or France in the last 16 if we win the group.....do we really want to? 😅

Germany are super-beatable right now. Assuming they even progress from their group, I'd probably put them on a par with the Croatia team we just beat fairly comfortably.

Just now, tom27111 said:

Watching ITV for the Netherlands game, I'm amazed at how much they're talking up England.

We were average at best.

Completely disagree with everything Gary Neville said about Southgate.

Does everyone wear rose-tinted goggles or sumat? :P

Good in spells, drab as Southgate in the rest. All ways sort of feel we are in 3rd gear but never want to go any faster for fear of losing control at 50mph.

Credit where it’s due, Phillips was great. I’m sure Leeds fans are already thinking they are winning the league next year’

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Watching ITV for the Netherlands game, I'm amazed at how much they're talking up England.

We were average at best.

Average? I don’t think so, gameplay was executed perfectly today and we looked very comfortable. Good win, and perfect start. Whatever way you look at the game we fully deserved the win.

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We were average at best.

we won, we played well..more players played well than poor...

Some English fans, just cant Take England winning...

They spend their Football lives demeaing every Team they supposedly support....

Worse than most Viruses...!! 

16 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We were average at best.

You would think Southgate was at klopp or guardiola levels listening to these. 

• Like 1

England were decent for the first 20 minutes but it wasn't happening for them after that up until the goal.

They deserved the win but the Croatia performance was very lacklustre. Pickford wont have an easier afternoon in the tournament.

FWIW most team that have won Euros Or World Cups don't set the world alight early on. Spain were shaky enough in 2012 and it was similar in Portugal in 2016. That will give England some encouragement.

A decent manager would give England a chance of winning it but there's too many doubts about Southgate and his selection that it's hard to ignore,

I reckon they'll struggle to get past the quarter final stage.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Average? I don’t think so, gameplay was executed perfectly today and we looked very comfortable. Good win, and perfect start. Whatever way you look at the game we fully deserved the win.

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

we won, we played well..more players played well than poor...

Some English fans, just cant Take England winning...

They spend their Football lives demeaing every Team they supposedly support....

Worse than most Viruses...!! 

The test will be when we go a goal down.

Southgate will chuck Grealish on for the last 15 and expect him to do something.

Then probably never play him again because he hasn't managed to do something in limited time.

Southgate is tactically inept and only fell in to the job by pure luck.

Edited by tom27111

5 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yes average. Croatia were rubbish, we did what was needed today.

would love to see Grealish starting against Scotland 

3 hours ago, Bert said:

So the starting back 4 had 3 title winners from last season in and our 3rd choice centre back who had a good game. 

The two DM’s picked themselves, one of them was man of the match. The 3 behind the forward, two of them have won a league title where one of them won an individual award. The other has won the champions league. The centre forward has won the golden boot and top assist award this season. Not bad for out of form! 

With the hindsight of the win and the performance we can be a little bit less aggro'd at what Southgate has done today with the team but I do think Grealish and Sancho will be lucky to play much this tournament, but if Sterling finally delivers in a tournament then its vindication as he's been Southgates best player post Russia 2018 and if international managers can still evoke a level of performance from a player out of sorts at club level then it shouldn't be be brushed under the carpet.

This is the problem with the Southgate regime though, we are mostly left scratching our heads at the team selection and seldom get a chance to see the players and system that the majority of other managers, pundits and fans would put together. 

Kalvin Phillips is a superb player mind you, I'll hold my hands up and say I've done him a disservice at the desperation of wanting to see a creative midfield but he deserves his spot and he will potentially be our most important player this summer. He's got everything. 

• Like 2

Bizarrely, quite happy with the team selected today.

Italy threw everything they had at Turkey the other day, which is entirely unsustainable over the course of a tournament. Instead of seeing the best XI, we saw 9 decent players plus Tripper and Mings. Plenty of room for England to grow into the tournament.

#SouthgatesAtTheWheel?

1 minute ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Bizarrely, quite happy with the team selected today.

Italy threw everything they had at Turkey the other day, which is entirely unsustainable over the course of a tournament. Instead of seeing the best XI, we saw 9 decent players plus Tripper and Mings. Plenty of room for England to grow into the tournament.

#SouthgatesAtTheWheel?

Sorry but what?  How is throwing everything at teams not sustainable when at most it's 7 games in a 28 day period?  These players are on the pitch  more often than that during a domestic season and with less chance of rotation.  

If we had spanked Croatia 3 nil playing the football Italy did I'd be thinking our prospects of going further in the tournament were better!

18 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

We were decent for first 15 mins then Croatia settled and got hold of the ball. Great ball from Phillips, and run from Sterling, for the goal but I think a draw would have been a fair result tbf.