Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

England v Croatia match thread

Croatia are a quality side and England pretty much snuffed them out completely. Very decent performance.

Thought the midfield 3 did very well considering the quality of Croatia's midfield 3.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ttfn said:

That was pretty much what I was expecting, 1-0 was about right on the balance of play.

Phillips comfortably man of the match for me. Mount and Sterling played pretty well (nowhere near as well as Jenas seems to be suggesting Sterling played) and most others were a 6/10.

Walker was poor on the ball but his pass into Phillips for the goal was one of the few times somebody managed to break the lines.

Kane was awful, he needs to stop thinking he’s a number 10. He’s not, or at least he shouldn’t try to be for England. He’s a very good striker but he spent too much of the game getting in the way in front of his own back 4. The one time he did manage to get in the penalty area he missed a very straightforward chance.

Agree with all of this but think the only thing Croatia did well was to crowd him out and cause him to be ineffective. The onus then is for the rest to make the difference and thankfully Sterling did.

England were much better in defence than I thought they were going to be to fair too. 

Why do people hate on Sterling so much? He’s a quality football player and I’d argue that of all the games played so far, we’ve had the hardest opposition. 

We’ve got the result. They offered nothing. 

Move on to the grudge match against Scotland. That result practically guarantees we’re through. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Lineker just described as “impressive” - really?

It was in parts because we controlled the game for the most part, looked lovely on occasions, without ever really getting out of second gear against opposition that are fairly decent in their own rights.

It’s a base that shows we’re good, but obviously we can get a lot better.

Maybe the better word would have been “encouraging.”

• Like 1

The Moment of the match the Racists Drowned out with a passionate round of English applause 🙏🏻🙏🏻 

the play of the match Philips and Stirling combining for a great Goal, coincidently products of this countries proud history of welcoming people of other races here to live and work in peace 

wonderful stuff ! 

Come on England 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Great to start with a win. Phillips was class and Mings played really well. Very solid. Toughest group game done. Come on! 

Love the positivity! 

my view - boring and predictable. Slightly jammy goal. Nothing on show to see the positivity. 

I havent been a sterling fan as of late but you cant really ask him that Q about justifying his inclusion when he scores the winning goal.

What a daft question to ask.

He has the talent but he isnt on fire and for me others are above him right now. As much as i gave him a hard time we need him to be scoring and hopefully this is what he needs to keep banging them in.

Kane looks off pace and needs a rest. He needs to play for a man city stacked team so he can get more rest. 

• Like 1

Sterling absolutely justified his selection. Kept them honest in behind, put in a shift defensively and scored the winner. Yes, his general play isn't at its best, but in that system his ability to stretch the play is important. Quite a few times in that game the back 4 were pressed, and he made something of the resulting long ball.

Kane will need managing properly and not flogged to death in the group's. He was rubbish today but he is leagues above the next best option.

Hopefully a few changes for the Scots. We can change both full backs, get Grealish in and change up one of the central midfielders at least without weakening the side.

Solid display I thought, especially out of possession. Croatia are past their best, but they've still got a quality side 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Love the positivity! 

my view - boring and predictable. Slightly jammy goal. Nothing on show to see the positivity. 

I guess you’re the kind of person that would win £5m and moan it’s not £6m. 

We controlled the game from start to finish with and without the ball. We limited them to set piece and long range efforts. Let’s not forget these are a good side. Roasting hot sunshine. It’s a fantastic result to start the tournament with. The defending champions of this tournament didn’t win a game in 90 minutes when they won it. It’s always nice to see a scintillating performance but that’s not always going to happen. What matters is the result. Winning breeds confidence regardless of how you play. 

I actually can’t believe people are moaning. Jesus Christ. Hottest day of the year, England have just won and some people wanna find any negative they possibly can. Jokers. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

I actually can’t believe people are moaning. Jesus Christ. Hottest day of the year, England have just won and some people wanna find any negative they possibly can. Jokers. 

It’s the continual & unnecessary England theme of playing players out of position and out of form players and players just there because they happened to have been in the squad before. And it’s happened year after year for 20 odd years… 

And it’s finally worn me down! :nono:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

I guess you’re the kind of person that would win £5m and moan it’s not £6m. 

We controlled the game from start to finish with and without the ball. We limited them to set piece and long range efforts. Let’s not forget these are a good side. Roasting hot sunshine. It’s a fantastic result to start the tournament with. The defending champions of this tournament didn’t win a game in 90 minutes when they won it. It’s always nice to see a scintillating performance but that’s not always going to happen. What matters is the result. Winning breeds confidence regardless of how you play. 

You have a point, but we’ve seen this over and over again with England. Nothing changes. Scrape results at the start hoping it breed confidence, then never really does. Might be different this time, but from what I’ve seen recently, I just don’t see it. 

A better team would have put us to the sword.