Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Southgate stay or go

Southgate Stay or Go?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Southgate stay or go

• Stay
    • Go
    • Not sure
    • Stay... unless Conte wants the job

Maybe a stupid question to some following the tournament we had, be interesting to see if anyone's opinion on Southgate as changed. Are you confident that Gareth is doing a great job and capable of leading us to glory in Qatar or do you think he's been lucky with the squad of players he has and threw the chance of winning our first trophy in 55 years. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

I’m torn on this one. On one side you can’t really grumble with a semi final followed by a final. However on the flip side the way we lost both was solely down to him and was just too negative. We have such a promising attacking young squad it would be a shame to waste it with his tactics.

• Like 4

If you were working at the FA and in a meeting with Southgate to review his time as manager he'd probably the win the argument and he could turn round say "well I taken England to world cup semi final for the first time since 1990, I lead England to a euro's final and remained unbeaten throughout the tournament only conceding two goals, the average age of squad around is still very young. Compared to the last five England manger's I have done a good job"

It would be just so harsh to let someone go with that record.

Just now, Bryn said:

I'd move him upstairs. He definitely, unquestionably needs to be involved in the England set-up but I do wonder if there's a coach out there who gets more out of these players.

He could be assistant to the national manager 

• Haha 4

He has done a fantastic job at picking up the pieces after euro 2016 mess… you can’t argue with his record and how he gets the players playing like a team rather than individuals. 2022 World Cup, he certainly deserves that, and a chance to see what he can do with what will be a more experienced squad. Just needs to allow the handbrake to come off more often and have trust in our more creative players 

Stay because I really don’t know who else to suggest.

I’ve seen the FA give the job to so many who have had varying degrees of success I really don’t know who we can turn to that would get us over the line. 

I don’t like Southgate’s approach to the game but he has the player’s on board. 

• Like 1

Let's look at what we've had before in Hodgson and Capello and you'll see what a good job Southgate has done. Everyone talks about how we've had an easy ride in the last two tournaments but you've still got to win the games and we've seen great teams like France lose to so called easy teams like the Swiss 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, shailen said:

Let's look at what we've had before in Hodgson and Capello and you'll see what a good job Southgate has done. Everyone talks about how we've had an easy ride in the last two tournaments but you've still got to win the games and we've seen great teams like France lose to so called easy teams like the Swiss 

Exactly, we couldn’t beat Iceland or Costa Rica in the tournaments just before Southgate took charge… this tournament he has gone unbeaten, only losing to Italy on penalties who had gone 33 without defeat. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

Stay for two reasons:

1. You can’t say we aren’t going in the right direction. Semi-final, followed by a final is going in the right direction (by definition) and I hope he’s learnt from last night’s errors (which were big)

2. Who else would you get and who else would want the job?

• Like 3

I do think there are managers out there who could do more with this squad but you really can't argue with a world cup semi and a euros final, even if you might argue about how we played and how we went out. 

There's no way he doesn't get the world cup and begrudgingly I have to say I think that is the right option. Ultimately this is a results game, and if someone is getting good results they should be rewarded.

We have all lambasted managers and players in years gone by for failing to show anything near what the squad is capable of, but this bunch are doing well under Southgate. You have to reward that.

• Like 1

I've voted stay.

Southgate seems a very decent bloke. He's had to learn on the job, more than most, and has made the team more likeable again (to many England fans at least), whilst simultaneously winning matches. He's improved on his world cup performance by reaching the final here. He will be hurting today. Mistakes were made in the final and I'd expect him to recognise that when the dust settles, if not already.

I think his conservatism may have cost England last night, who knows. I don't see too many alternatives to him though. We can't throw in a similarly inexperienced English manager and expect them to suddenly progress England from a last four squad to a winning squad whilst they are also learning.

He has absolutely earned the right to take England to the next tournament, if he qualifies, regardless of what any of us see as his failings. I hope he succeeds, more for him than for me. 

I'm at ease with Southgate being the England manager despite some bizarre decisions last night which probably cost us the main prize. Hopefully he will have learnt from this. His record is there for all to see and I would review his position after the World Cup next year.

Closest a manager has got us to the World Cup for 28 years, closest a manager has ever got us to the Euros which we were 2 kicks of a ball away from winning and I’m seeing a few vote to get rid 😂😂😂

He got us to a World Cup semi-final and a Euros final in his first two tournaments. We only conceded two goals and that was in the last two games. We just lost on the last penalty to a team who haven't been beaten for THREE years. 

The idea of sacking him is an absolute insult. He's more than earned the right to be considered one of the best England managers for decades. 

Let him continue to grow with this group of young players and we could genuinely win the World Cup next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

He got us to a World Cup semi-final and a Euros final in his first two tournaments. We only conceded two goals and that was in the last two games. We just lost on the last penalty to a team who haven't been beaten for THREE years. 

The idea of sacking him is an absolute insult. He's more than earned the right to be considered one of the best England managers for decades. 

Let him continue to grow with this group of young players and we could genuinely win the World Cup next year.

Exactly this, Southgate is doing what you want with a young bunch of players and that is show progression. They enjoy playing for him, that is so important, Southgate isn’t perfect but he is learning with this squad. 

Torn. He has been brilliant in moulding a team, he's clearly a thoughtful and intelligent man manager who gets the best out of players. BUT - he is so negative and risk averse, and I think he'll always be a nearly man due to this. He's also had the luck of the draw twice.

I'm leaning towards twist and trying somebody who might be able to get us over the line.

• Like 1

The key thing for Southgate next year half he's got to look giving more game time to likes of Grealish, Bellingham, Saka, Calvert-Lewin, Sancho and Foden. Probably the biggest fault Southgate had going into this tournament was he probably didn't give much prep game time going into the tournament. He's got try avoid when playing friendlies not pick the same xi each game, give Kane a night off here and there as well as Sterling as we know very there England's top players and know they'll be going no doubt. We just need to make sure any newcomers that come in are well settled into team and know what to do.

I think people have been outraged with the team selection all tournament but what Southgate has done is make us difficult to beat and in fact no team beat us in normal/extra time this whole tournament. We've got so much talent in this country atm, but he's not tried to put them all into one side but created a tactical set up he'd like to put out and pick the players suited to that. 

Past managers have picked the players first rather than focus on the tactics and I think that is why we've never been successful and on another day we'd have won yesterday. 

Edited by shailen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

For those saying Go, who would you choose to replace him and why? I'm talking realistic replacements so you cant say someone like Guardiola.

I'm not necessarily 'Go' but I wouldn't mind seeing Eddie Howe given a crack of the whip. Chris Wilder would also do well as an England manager I think

Other Englishmen who would be worth considering although not necessarily an upgrade: Sean Dyche, Chris Hughton, Steve Bruce, Frank Lampard.

If we are talking foreign managers too, then you'd be looking at somebody like Julen Lopetegui, who already managed Spain, trying to tempt Simeone from Atletico, not impossible, or how about Unai Emery?

Feel free to shoot those all down :D