Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

It's Always Sunny in Wrexham

I've been massively impressed with Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney in the way they've dealt with their takeover of Wrexham. No ego, no BS, a genuine willingness to engage with the fans and learn about the club IMO.

Brilliant to see them just rock up at Maidenhead midweek and how they enjoyed the banter. I remember when Wrexham were half decent and especially that cup win over Arsenal in the early 90's. It would be great to see them back in the big time.

Thought we should have a thread to keep track of their progress starting with a 10,000 sell out home to Torquay on Saturday.

10,000 for a non league game - that's bonkers. Good luck to them I say.

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 4

I'm a big of fan of them both and their work, though I do find it a bit sad that one of the few fan-owned clubs in the UK sold out to foreign investors, regardless of who they are.

As you say though, they do seem genuine in their intentions. Neither are guys who takes themselves too seriously, but they do seem to have some sense of understanding about what a football club means to its community over here. I hope they're sincere as the last thing British football needs is more fly-by-night owners who leave the clubs they take over in a worse position than they inherited.

I've got a mate who lives up that way and went to the derby against Chester a few years ago, so I've got a bit of a soft spot for them - even if that wasn't a great day to be ordering a pint in Wrexham Wetherspoon's with an English accent beforehand! They're a club with huge history, as has their ground (they need to open that beautiful terrace up again!), so it'd be great to see them back in the Football League. Just awaiting the announcement about Wolf Cola becoming their new shirt sponsor now...

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They're making a documentary off the back of it so hardly the most honest intentions.

I’d be surprised if they spent £2m on a football club just so they can make a documentary about it. 

51 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've been massively impressed with Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney in the way they've dealt with their takeover of Wrexham. No ego, no BS, a genuine willingness to engage with the fans and learn about the club IMO.

Brilliant to see them just rock up at Maidstone midweek and how they enjoyed the banter. I remember when Wrexham were half decent and especially that cup win over Arsenal in the early 90's. It would be great to see them back in the big time.

Thought we should have a thread to keep track of their progress starting with a 10,000 sell out home to Torquay on Saturday.

Yes and No. Think McElhenney lost some friends when he said they need to **** off out of this league after a poor officiating decision. 

On the whole though, they appear very genuine. Wrexham along with a clutch of other clubs belong in the FL. Wrexham in particular have been unfortunate - I believe its three playoff defeats including a season where they finished behind a Vardy inspired Fleetwood getting 90 odd points. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They're making a documentary off the back of it so hardly the most honest intentions.

Its being made for Netflix and everything they have been paid for it they have / are planning to plough back into Wrexham. Not sure the football team but to help the local area. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’d be surprised if they spent £2m on a football club just so they can make a documentary about it. 

I'm not saying they have dishonest intentions, just that I'm sceptical that they've done it all for the love of Wrexham. 

10 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Its being made for Netflix and everything they have been paid for it they have / are planning to plough back into Wrexham. Not sure the football team but to help the local area. 

Well let's hope so.

This happiness won't last forever for Wrexham I fear. Sadly I do think this all been done so they've got a documentary for Netflix, my guess is if the project is showing little signs of progression in two years they will pull the plug. They do seem nice guys dont get me wrong but I cant see them wanting to be at Wrexham for the long term picture.

Its interesting to see there first game they watch Wrexham happens to be away game near London 🤔 didnt quite fancy making their first game actually at Wrexham itself. Didn't fancy the trip up to the north west.

Edited by Leicesterpool

33 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yes and No. Think McElhenney lost some friends when he said they need to **** off out of this league after a poor officiating decision. 

On the whole though, they appear very genuine. Wrexham along with a clutch of other clubs belong in the FL. Wrexham in particular have been unfortunate - I believe its three playoff defeats including a season where they finished behind a Vardy inspired Fleetwood getting 90 odd points. 

The National League is a bastard to get out of. Once clubs are past that they seem to get going- Luton being a great example. Five years in non-league then five years later in the Championship.

This is the toughest hurdle, for me. Wrexham have the ground and fanbase to give them an advantage in the Football League alongside the wealth of the owners.

17 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

This happiness won't last forever for Wrexham I fear. Sadly I do think this all been done so they've got a documentary for Netflix, my guess is if the project is showing little signs of progression in two years they will pull the plug. They do seem nice guys dont get me wrong but I cant see them wanting to be at Wrexham for the long term picture.

Its interesting to see there first game they watch Wrexham happens to be away game near London 🤔 didnt quite fancy making their first game actually at Wrexham itself. Didn't fancy the trip up to the north west.

They flew into London about an hour before kick off..... 

It's a strange one.  With soccer growing so quickly in the States I'd of thought they could have found a local club for them to invest in.  Granted there's no promotion/relegation in the states.  Guess we'll see how it all turns out.  No question Wrexham have the infrastructure and fan base to progress.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Brilliant to see them just rock up at Maidstone midweek and how they enjoyed the banter. I remember when Wrexham were half decent and especially that cup win over Arsenal in the early 90's. It would be great to see them back in the big time.

10,000 might seem a lot, but both these clubs also  have a Good traditional History in our unique 4 profi-divisions...

Fans from these clubs backend & tother side of the Championship...are Salt of the Earth...

Easy to remember the Top 6, or the Top leagues...Buying your Teams at astronomical & ridiculous prices...

These lads are just as Professional as any of our or other big-club Story makers,probably also more important to their communities...

L'pool,Manutd ..400-500k Leicester 350k and all 3 spreading probably Another 80-100kk around Local-region shires...& Foreign connections/fans.

Torquay, Wrexham, 50k +, and Not so far stretching with a wide cache...

Never like it, when individual entitled dozos, make cracks at their expense...

most of the Bloody Scots, with 20-1000 fans ,with their dogs,Goldfish,Budgy & Not forgetting their Haggis on a lead..I mean wow..:appl:

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

It's a strange one.  With soccer growing so quickly in the States I'd of thought they could have found a local club for them to invest in.  Granted there's no promotion/relegation in the states.  Guess we'll see how it all turns out.  No question Wrexham have the infrastructure and fan base to progress.

Daft as it may sound we could see Wrexham playing a random friendly in america to try and lure fans across the pond on the back of this tv show. Imagine if other hollywood celebs decide to do the same like I dunno Robert Downey Jr buys Grimsby Town and Kim Kardashian buys Boston United.

Edited by Leicesterpool

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

hate to be pedantic but it was Maidenhead they played on Tuesday. I was there as they are my local side and was sat about 10 rows in front of them, both seemed very engaging and humble although need to work on their football vocabulary. At FT they walked right past my 16 yr old stepson who shouted "oi Ryan well played mate" and his response was "Good job guys"!

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I mean this is what every English (and Welsh) Football fan would say.

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

I mean this is what every English (and Welsh) Football fan would say.

I don’t disagree but you don’t really see it from club owners. 

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Daft as it may sound we could see Wrexham playing a random friendly in america to try and lure fans across the pond on the back of this tv show. Imagine if other hollywood celebs decide to do the same like I dunno Robert Downey Jr buys Grimsby Town and Kim Kardashian buys Boston United.

They were due to play in Philly this pre season but it could got understandably called off. 

The reason they largely bought is because one of the writers on one of their shows is a Wrexham fan I believe. Humphrey Ker I believe his name is 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

As others have said, Wrexham are a big fish for the pond they are in and have good infrastructure. If they can get it right on the pitch there's a definate chance of them growing and being worth alot more as a club than they are now. 

Seem to be approaching it in a good way so far, fair play.

• Like 1