Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Jeff Stelling

10 minutes ago, Koke said:

IMO they should have gotten rid of Merson long ago. He's an incoherent idiot, with really bad takes. People like Alex Scott has to be really articulate and well informed but still gets crap from certain section of the public, simply for being a woman. 

If Merson didn't make it as a pro i dread to think what he'd be doing in his life. Stay in school, kids, and get a decent education. I get that some foreign names are hard but christ almighty...... 

I like Alex Scott but she's pretty boring

• Like 2

As well as Warren, the bookies also list David Jones, Jake Humphrey, Jamie Carragher, Gary Neville, Alex Scott, Kirsty Gallagher and Gary Lineker as possible replacements for Stelling.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jeff-stelling-soccer-saturday-everton-22023142

Jake Humphrey would be a decent choice.

Can't see Lineker doing it, considering he's already continuing MOTD and his new game show on ITV coming up.

Mark Pougatch always appears to be doing the job fine on BT's Saturday football coverage show; but not sure if he potentially thinks, should he be approached of course, it'd be worthwhile to move to a different company just to do the same job.

Seem to remember there was talk of Stelling wanting to do I'm a Celeb, well looks like he'll be free next year. Makes you think has he got something big lined up for next year, maybe rival soccer saturday with another network. Random one but with Bradley Walsh stepping down as The Chase host, could you see Stelling step into that role. Be the first time we will actually Stelling presenting without a desk.

13 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Seem to remember there was talk of Stelling wanting to do I'm a Celeb, well looks like he'll be free next year. Makes you think has he got something big lined up for next year, maybe rival soccer saturday with another network. Random one but with Bradley Walsh stepping down as The Chase host, could you see Stelling step into that role. Be the first time we will actually Stelling presenting without a desk.

What about Bradley Walsh on soccer Saturday? I think that would be the best fit

Let's be fair, nobody watched Soccer Saturday for great insight. They should, but they watched it to see the scores come in and see the daft panel having a laugh. Merson, Nicholas, Thompson and Le Tissier were dinosaurs but it was watchable. 

Kris Boyd, Clinton Morrison and Sue Smith certainly haven't improved it. BT Sport's version is probably better now.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Mark Goldbridge would be good. He deserves a go in mainstream media. Same applies to James Allcott. 

James really impresses me. On a recent debate by those clowns on the kickoff he sat them all down and their ‘big club’ bias. 

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

That's the thing with him, he's really articulate and knows his footy, but he can convey his thoughts in a way that people with even the most simplistic views on footy (like the top 6 cheerleaders on the Kick Off - although they are entertaining, just mind-numbingly silly at times) can grasp.

Goldbridge would be funny just for the fact his best part on "The United Stand" is his watchalongs, which is basically what Soccer Saturday is. Dunno if Sky would like some of his lines though, but the geezer is funny and Soccer Saturday should be entertaining first and foremost. As someone else said, you can get the scores from anywhere, but the entertainment factor, not so much. 

Goldbridge doesn't have a clue about the lower leagues. Stelling knew them inside out and his research was outstanding. 

45 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Goldbridge doesn't have a clue about the lower leagues. Stelling knew them inside out and his research was outstanding. 

Exactly. You need somebody with experience and knowledge, you can't wing or blag a show like this.

Mark Chapman, on this basis, is probably the best fit.

• Like 1

I think people under rate how much the show does for lower league fans.

Sky pretty much have a reporter at every single game and their reports are giving a decent amount of time when there is a goal etc. BT by comparison have a couple dotted around and everyone in studio watching the PL games. BBC have that but it’s hidden for most of the show on a red button. 

The steaming of games isn’t readily available at L1 and L2 particularly 

I personally feel the show as run it’s course.  It was brilliant back in the early 2000s as was Soccer AM but the concept as now been copied by other channels and it is now just a decent upgrade on watching Ceefax back in the 90s.  Also in the last few years how many people that watched the show are actually watching a live stream of a game, something we couldn’t do in the past. I basically sit watching a live game on my laptop with the show on in the background, muted, just so I can keep track of scores. Would make no difference how good the banter was to me nowadays. 

On 30/10/2021 at 18:32, Koke said:

Social media is filled with low IQ imbeciles like this fella. I wonder if he considers Paul Merson a "diversity check". How else has he kept his job for years? 

He’s right though!! That’s all they are interested in now, ticking boxers not actually entertainment, it’s bad enough with the other 3 now, but when Stelling leaves I’m pretty sure it will be unwatchable, sky have right ****ed it up by changing it, if it’s not broke don’t fix it 

Guest Harrydc

The show was always those blokes. That was soccer Saturday. Without them, it's not the same show. They had irreplaceable chemistry. It's gone to shit now I'm afraid to say.