Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Christmas Dinner - Scheduled for the 25th December

Just written our shopping list, the main event will be pretty much as I said on the first page of this thread...

Cider roast turkey

Garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, cooked in goose fat

Root veg mash

Brussels with pancetta

Red wine braised red cabbage with walnuts

Cauliflower cheese

Broccoli 

Honey roasted chantenay carrots

Sage and onion sausage meat stuffing

Pigs in blankets

Yorkshire pudding

Cider gravy, made from the turkey juices

Cranberry sauce.

For breakfast, we'll be having bucks fizz, toasted English muffins, topped with fried parma ham and poached eggs.

Still debating over desserts. 

Not bothering with a starter lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Just written our shopping list, the main event will be pretty much as I said on the first page of this thread...

Cider roast turkey

Root veg mash

Brussels with pancetta

Cauliflower cheese

Broccoli 

Pigs in blankets

Yorkshire pudding

Cranberry sauce.

For breakfast, we'll be having bucks fizz, toasted English muffins, topped with fried parma ham and poached eggs.

I'm very similar, you can't leave out roast parsnips, sweet potato, leeks and bread sauce though.

Just now, SexyGammonFox said:

I'm very similar, you can't leave out roast parsnips, sweet potato, leeks and bread sauce though.

I love parsnips, but nobody else does.

That's why I'll sneak them in to the root veg mash with sweet potatoes and swede.

I'm not a fan of bread sauce :huh:

And the turkey will be cooked on a leek trivet, so it'll flavour the gravy.

If I could fit them on the plate, I'd probably have them though lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Cider roast turkey

Root veg mash

Brussels with pancetta

Cauliflower cheese

Broccoli 

Pigs in blankets

Yorkshire pudding

Cranberry sauce.

Always wonder how the eff do you make all that, keep it warm and fresh with one stove/oven. Then to eat all that. Do you have a tea spoonful of each item? Lol

I envision a team of cooks on an assembly line making it happen unless you have 10 arms.

I am likely going to make curry lamb while the wife makes roti's.  Bought a short leg of lamb (2kg). Will enjoy carving that ****er up, takes me like an hour alone lol. If not, roast chicken  dinner, typical veges and thats it. Some tasty bevy's. Left over birthday cake for dessert :)

Don't like going crazy as the 24th is my birthday (so i spoil myself then). 

We have been told by our government in Ontario to not have more than 10 people in the house. That means i can have 6 over but w6oth my two brothers, thier families and dad its more than 6. So, none are coming, sigh.

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Always wonder how the eff do you make all that, keep it warm and fresh with one stove/oven. Then to eat all that. Do you have a tea spoonful of each item? Lol

I envision a team of cooks on an assembly line making it happen unless you have 10 arms.

I am likely going to make curry lamb while the wife makes roti's.  Bought a short leg of lamb (2kg). Will enjoy carving that ****er up, takes me like an hour alone lol. If not, roast chicken  dinner, typical veges and thats it. Some tasty bevy's. Left over birthday cake for dessert :)

Don't like going crazy as the 24th is my birthday (so i spoil myself then). 

We have been told by our government in Ontario to not have more than 10 people in the house. That means i can have 6 over but w6oth my two brothers, thier families and dad its more than 6. So, none are coming, sigh.

Firstly, we are having an exchange trip one Xmas. I want some of that curried lamb!

There's 5 of us in my house, some people like some of it, some don't, but I love cooking and want to please everyone! If there's leftovers, the dog eats like a queen for 3 days (and fart for england)

I cook the turkey and prep the rest of the stuff. When the turkey is done, it rests on the side for at least an hour, covered by foil and a towel to keep the heat in.

As that is happening, I cook everything else.

It is a bit over the top and indulgent, but it's Christmas. We certainly don't waste the meat. The Mrs has promised to make me and the boy turkey sandwiches to take up to Man City on Boxing Day! 

The highlight of the day for me is being in the kitchen and cooking it all. I love it.

I'll have some music playing on the Alexa, a few glasses of red, the kids helping out, the Mrs peeling the spuds...doesn't get any better than that.

Happy birthday for Friday :thumbup:

• Like 4

I'm more interested to see what everyone's drink choices are?

I'll be getting whatever multi-pack premium beer is on offer at Sainsburys, probably Stella, Heineken or Kronenbourg. (I would go to Tesco, but...if you know, you know lol)

A 4 pack of Beavertown Neck Oil. I would get more, but I believe ounce for ounce, its more expensive than gold.

A couple of bottles of a decent Argentine Malbec.

A bottle of Chablis for dinner.

Rum. Possibly Sailor Jerry's, but more likely a bottle of Havana 7, washed down with ginger ale and fresh lime.

Gin. Tanqueray being my weapon of choice. Again, with ginger ale and lime juice. The Mrs will likely have raspberry Whitley Neil with lemonade.

Some fruity cider, mainly for the kids. When I say kids, one of them is 20 and a special police officer!

Baileys. Because its Xmas. 

Prosecco with OJ for breakfast. Champagne is overrated. 

I'm intrigued to why @Daggershas got 2 bottles Pernod?

Does anyone still drink that?

Edited by tom27111

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

I'm intrigued to why @Daggershas got 2 bottl2s of Pernod?

Does anyone still drink that?

Yes, me. There is no finer starter to an evening than Pastis and water. You can vote Brexit, deny the Covids, or believe in reiki - fine, but dis the anise drinks and prepare for fights.

• Haha 1

Just now, Daggers said:

Yes, me. There is no finer starter to an evening than Pastis and water. You can vote Brexit, deny the Covids, or believe in reiki - fine, but dis the anise drinks and prepare for fights.

Is it because it's that packed full of sugar, it crystallises in your stomach and gets you pissed the next day when you drink water? 

I doubted you earlier for you starting drinking late at 11am, but if you're on the Pernod for the reason it effectively gets you hammered twice, I underestimated you and you are in fact a genius lol

Hats off to you, sir :thumbup:

• Haha 1

It ought to go without saying, this being Day 1 of my fortnight of drunk, that I am now very drunk. I have swum in the glory of Pernods, gazed into the wonder of Belgian monk beers, and tossed myself manly into spiced rums…while noshing on encased peanuts, stuffed olives, round salmon things, and monches of the pizza. Don’t no one cock a snook at Pernod.

• Like 1

Just now, Daggers said:

It ought to go without saying, this being Day 1 of my fortnight of drunk, that I am now very drunk. I have swum in the glory of Pernods, gazed into the wonder of Belgian monk beers, and tossed myself manly into spiced rums…while noshing on encased peanuts, stuffed olives, round salmon things, and monches of the pizza. Don’t no one cock a snook at Pernod.

I love a good rum, but I'm glad you haven't invited me round for a festive tipple lol

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I do an exceptional roast every Sunday.

I've basically ruined Xmas Dinner because I spoil us every weekend.

I even regularly make pigs in blankets throughout the year.

Sometimes I'll do red cabbage, sometimes I'll do cauliflower cheese.

For Xmas Dinner, I do everything! 

We only have turkey once a year though. Not because we don't like it, just because it's bloody expensive. 

My favourite meal of the year is on Easter Sunday, got to be a whole leg of lamb! 

This is basically what I’m saying! 

9 hours ago, Daggers said:

and tossed myself manly into spiced rums…while noshing 

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I love a good rum, but I'm glad you haven't invited me round for a festive tipple lol

Is this not how Advocaat is made? 

Or is that Baileys?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Cider roast turkey

Root veg mash

Brussels with pancetta

Cauliflower cheese

Broccoli 

Pigs in blankets

Yorkshire pudding

Cranberry sauce.

Go on my son! Poetry that is

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Cider roast turkey

Root veg mash

Brussels with pancetta

Cauliflower cheese

Broccoli 

Pigs in blankets

Yorkshire pudding

Cranberry sauce.

I'm liking the sound of red cabbage braised in red wine with walnuts. I've already got red wine and walnuts but can't find a red cabbage! 

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm liking the sound of red cabbage braised in red wine with walnuts. I've already got red wine and walnuts but can't find a red cabbage! 

Oh no!

That is disastrous!

You've got to put a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a cinnamon stick in there too, if you manage to find any.

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Oh no!

That is disastrous!

You've got to put a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a cinnamon stick in there too, if you manage to find any.

Got them too, really need to find a red cabbage now. Can I do it the day before and reheat or not? I'm just thinking about my oven space... Or do you cook it on the hob? 

Edited by FoxesDeb

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Got them too, really need to find a red cabbage now. Can I do it the day before and reheat or not? I'm just thinking about my oven space... Or do you cook it on the hob? 

Do it on the hob. Enough red wine to almost cover the cabbage and just leave it on the lowest heat for a couple of hours. The sugar thickens the wine and the wine will reduce, giving you a really nice, slightly sticky jus.

If it gets too dry, just add a bit more wine or a splash of water.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Firstly, we are having an exchange trip one Xmas. I want some of that curried lamb!

There's 5 of us in my house, some people like some of it, some don't, but I love cooking and want to please everyone! If there's leftovers, the dog eats like a queen for 3 days (and fart for england)

I cook the turkey and prep the rest of the stuff. When the turkey is done, it rests on the side for at least an hour, covered by foil and a towel to keep the heat in.

As that is happening, I cook everything else.

It is a bit over the top and indulgent, but it's Christmas. We certainly don't waste the meat. The Mrs has promised to make me and the boy turkey sandwiches to take up to Man City on Boxing Day! 

The highlight of the day for me is being in the kitchen and cooking it all. I love it.

I'll have some music playing on the Alexa, a few glasses of red, the kids helping out, the Mrs peeling the spuds...doesn't get any better than that.

Happy birthday for Friday :thumbup:

Makes sense and thanks! 

Exchange . Just nip down to the local curry house. Might be more oily than mine though.

I love cooking as well. Do the exact same thing any time I cook,  music goes on and i dance while cooking etc.

As for drink, i am a lightweight in options. Don't drink much alcohol so it's either stella or rum.  Can't stand wine and not a big whiskey drinker. I suppose it's okay though as i save  a boatload of cash to spend on legs of lamb, lap dances and electronics.

As a relatively fussy eater this is something I'd usually run a mile from but I had some braised red cabbage in a restaurant once and that was AMAZING.  I can find lots of recipes for it that sound really nice, and this will form part of our Christmas dinner, but as we're in the hands of my mother-in-law on this (and we have been told in no uncertain terms that she does not appreciate any assistance from anybody else) we'll be served up her unique interpretation of the dish, which looks like over cooked white cabbage that a child has coloured in with a fast running out felt tip pen.

If this sounds ungrateful, it really, really is.  Her dinners are a proper lottery in that she can cook the same meal twice and one be really enjoyable and the second bordering on offensive.  I'll be praying to the god of Christmas dinners (that might just be God, I'm not an expert) that Saturday is one of the good days

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Manini said:

I know people who go out for a curry on Christmas Day and pay something like £35 for four courses…and you know what, fair play to them as well, do what makes you happy. 

We used to do massive indian style xmas dinners for ages. Then the mom/aunts got tired of cooking and cleaning dishes on xmas so we started going to the local all you can eat buffet (chinese) as my grandma wanted it. Ate like a fat basty.  Everyone got to relax and chat. Felt bad for those working but it was an option and they got tipped really well. We did that maybe 5 years in a row.

It's crazy that the men didnt really help much back then (in my family) although not surprising. My brother's and I all cook, love doing it and of course clean up as well. 

Was around $25 canadian per person (£15 or so).

Nothing beats home made cooking and i truly miss those massive home gatherings with so many lovely dishes....going to be just the 4 of us this Christmas.

42 minutes ago, Manini said:

I know people who go out for a curry on Christmas Day and pay something like £35 for four courses…and you know what, fair play to them as well, do what makes you happy. 

Do you know where they live? We could rob them while they’re out.

That’ll learn em.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

As a relatively fussy eater this is something I'd usually run a mile from but I had some braised red cabbage in a restaurant once and that was AMAZING.  I can find lots of recipes for it that sound really nice, and this will form part of our Christmas dinner, but as we're in the hands of my mother-in-law on this (and we have been told in no uncertain terms that she does not appreciate any assistance from anybody else) we'll be served up her unique interpretation of the dish, which looks like over cooked white cabbage that a child has coloured in with a fast running out felt tip pen.

If this sounds ungrateful, it really, really is.  Her dinners are a proper lottery in that she can cook the same meal twice and one be really enjoyable and the second bordering on offensive.  I'll be praying to the god of Christmas dinners (that might just be God, I'm not an expert) that Saturday is one of the good days

Tell her she needs to put some white vinegar in the water to stop the colour from bleeding out.

If you don't, it just turns a weird blue/indigo colour.

Or, just cook it in red wine.

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Tell her she needs to put some white vinegar in the water to stop the colour from bleeding out.

If you don't, it just turns a weird blue/indigo colour.

Or, just cook it in red wine.

Oh God, that's the one.

Found a nice sounding recipe that involves putting bacon in it. Most savoury dishes would benefit from a bit of bacon, I find

• Like 1