Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Christmas Dinner - Scheduled for the 25th December

Hosting Xmas, looking for any vegan recommendations for my sister and her partner. Nut roast just is so boring. They're willing to try things, just dunno where to start really.

Used to do Turkey, Gammon and Beef with Piggys in the blankets and sausage in the stuffing, but only three people are eating meat this year so only the Turkey has made the cut lol

Also I've never, ever had a starter in my Xmas Day life. Well, unless you count half a tub of celebrations.

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Hosting Xmas, looking for any vegan recommendations for my sister and her partner. Nut roast just is so boring. They're willing to try things, just dunno where to start really.

Used to do Turkey, Gammon and Beef with Piggys in the blankets and sausage in the stuffing, but only three people are eating meat this year so only the Turkey has made the cut lol

Also I've never, ever had a starter in my Xmas Day life. Well, unless you count half a tub of celebrations.

Just don't invite them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Turkey's not great though, is it? Pretty bland and has a tendency to dry out even with the most vigilant of home cooks.

I made a beef Wellington last year and I don't think I'll ever look back. 

Brussels sprouts and a cauliflower chee are tied for the greatest Christmas veg. Unmissable. 

Or ditch the cauliflower and have the best of both worlds with a cheesy sprouts gratin. 

58 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Turkey's not great though, is it? Pretty bland and has a tendency to dry out even with the most vigilant of home cooks.

I made a beef Wellington last year and I don't think I'll ever look back. 

Brussels sprouts and a cauliflower chee are tied for the greatest Christmas veg. Unmissable. 

Or ditch the cauliflower and have the best of both worlds with a cheesy sprouts gratin. 

I’ll be doing Goose again this year. Much nicer than turkey and far less prep and attention required.

Only downside is the meat yield is much less but **** it, I’ll just do 2 instead.

3 hours ago, danny. said:

£1.49 LIDL pizza, 12 minutes from frozen.

As a student, I once tried doing a frozen £0.79 Pizza in a microwave. ……….. it’s wasn’t disgusting from memory. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sly said:

As a student, I once tried doing a frozen £0.79 Pizza in a microwave. ……….. it’s wasn’t disgusting from memory. 

I'm a fan of microwaved Pizzas! My wife hates them though. Also Rustlers burgers (I know, I have no taste).

Edited by danny.

On 28/11/2021 at 15:40, Sly said:

Okay, it’s our turn to cook this year. 

12 of us in total of various ages.

What is everyone having on their Christmas dinner menu? I need some inspiration.

I’m thinking:

Soup or Prawn Cocktail starter.

Turkey

Roast Potatoes

Stuffing - Sage / Onion and Sausage

Roast Parsnips

Pigs in blankets

Turkey Gravey

Cranberry Sauce

Carrots
Brussel sprouts

Peas

Christmas Pudding

Trifle 

Ice Cream

Meringue

Cheese Board

Various wines! 

I’m undecided on Yorkshire Puddings

We dont have a starter, but the main is as yours except we have bread sauce, chestnuts, and flat mushrooms

2 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes,I started having it regularly after that.Got to be the best fish imo but pretty expensive.

I live 9 miles from the sea and know all the local fishermen. I used to be given so many for nothing I could have started a fishmongers. Trout and red mullet were the others in the freezer but a good sea Bass takes some beating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Stuffed aubergine/Zucchini/Marrow  stuffed with vegetables of your choice...

Homemade Vegetables Samosas..

Stuffed pepper with vegetables...

Or chose a small Portion of a Mixed Choice of above, using different vegetables...

or Then also Brussels cut in quarters und Mixed with mushrooms...& Sultanas

Or Portebella steak, with Sweet Potato & parsnip Püree ( like Mashed Potato with some Stripes of carrot) or Butter Bean mash.

Mixed Mushroom pie...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I’m watching this with interest. I’m one of 4 vegans in my immediate family. My wife is not vegan but is the main cook and we have 18 at the table this year.

6 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

28 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I’m watching this with interest. I’m one of 4 vegans in my immediate family. My wife is not vegan but is the main cook and we have 18 at the table this year.

Loads of recipes here.

We'll be having vegan Mock Goose with all the standard trimmings.

12 minutes ago, Buce said:

Loads of recipes here.

We'll be having vegan Mock Goose with all the standard trimmings.

What’s the mock goose please?

I know you’re vegetarian but my daughter isn’t entirely a meat fan and sometimes enjoys a meat free option.

if it’s not too much hassle i might give it a bash.

26 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What’s the mock goose please?

I know you’re vegetarian but my daughter isn’t entirely a meat fan and sometimes enjoys a meat free option.

if it’s not too much hassle i might give it a bash.

Yeah, of course.

I'll do it in the morning, though, if you don't mind.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

These people who cook for more than about 6 people on Christmas Day blow my mind. How can you be arsed? 

Not that bad, we usually do it for 12 and you can do so much the day before and in the morning. It's pretty much veg and yorkies to be cooked just before serving. 

• Like 1