Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Christmas Dinner - Scheduled for the 25th December

7 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

These people who cook for more than about 6 people on Christmas Day blow my mind. How can you be arsed? 

It’s not really that different, it’s just more of the same.

I do the bird on the bbq smoker, I prep it up the night before and light it up about 8. I don’t start the rest of the prep until about 11.

Its really not too much hassle.

This year will be a dick around, because after I’ve fed the family at home, I’ll have to drive to my dads and bring him a plate of food too.
He has dementia (I’ve probably banged on about this enough to bore people to death, sorry) and then stay there for a few hours as his carers will be sparse Christmas Day and I’d like to spend time with him. 
But by 16:00, I’ll be fully relaxed and chilling with everybody.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’ll be doing Goose again this year. Much nicer than turkey and far less prep and attention required.

Only downside is the meat yield is much less but **** it, I’ll just do 2 instead.

Thinking of getting a goose this year....only the mrs and the kids to please,instead of inlaws and parents......fresh or frozen?

1 hour ago, PAULCFC said:

Thinking of getting a goose this year....only the mrs and the kids to please,instead of inlaws and parents......fresh or frozen?

I’ll get fresh personally but I don’t suppose it’ll make much difference.I ordered from here https://www.donaldrussell.com/free-range-goose-c710.html

As there are a few other bits of trimmings I wanted and the delivery will come just before Xmas. 
Also saves queuing with the pensioners at the butchers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Hosting Xmas, looking for any vegan recommendations for my sister and her partner. Nut roast just is so boring. They're willing to try things, just dunno where to start really.

Used to do Turkey, Gammon and Beef with Piggys in the blankets and sausage in the stuffing, but only three people are eating meat this year so only the Turkey has made the cut lol

Also I've never, ever had a starter in my Xmas Day life. Well, unless you count half a tub of celebrations.

I made a mushroom Wellington last year that was pretty tasty. 

I’ll mix and match this year and buy a few things in. Maybe have a look here for some ideas 

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/m-and-s-2021-vegan-christmas-plant-kitchen/

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Everyone slagging off turkey, saying its dry or bland, clearly doesn't know how to cook it.

Done right, it's juicy and tasty.

You're obviously overcooking it and not using the right seasonings and flavourings. 

4 things you can do to make it amazing...

1. Make a trivet under the bird, so ot isn't resting on the bottom of a roasting tin. I usually use leeks.

2. Put juice in there. Cider is the best option.

3. Make an incision in the skin above each breast. Literally use half a block of butter each side. Seasoned with garlic and black pepper.

4. Streaky bacon over the top. It's not so you fight over the bacon, it's so the top of the turkey breast doesn't dry out quickly. 

Take the bacon off an hour before the end of cooking.

Also. Rest the turkey for at least an hour. Pop a bit of foil over the top, then cover with a tea towel.

Alternatively, you could just cook something you enjoy. 

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

You’re all missing the elephant in the room. The biggest question is: how long do you parboil the potatoes before roasting them? I’ve seen discussions on this topic almost come to blows, so let’s be civil…

Till they are just about breaking up. Then I chuck them around in the pan once drained then dry on kitchen roll for at least 30mins.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Everyone slagging off turkey, saying its dry or bland, clearly doesn't know how to cook it.

Done right, it's juicy and tasty.

You're obviously overcooking it and not using the right seasonings and flavourings. 

4 things you can do to make it amazing...

1. Make a trivet under the bird, so ot isn't resting on the bottom of a roasting tin. I usually use leeks.

2. Put juice in there. Cider is the best option.

3. Make an incision in the skin above each breast. Literally use half a block of butter each side. Seasoned with garlic and black pepper.

4. Streaky bacon over the top. It's not so you fight over the bacon, it's so the top of the turkey breast doesn't dry out quickly. 

Take the bacon off an hour before the end of cooking.

Also. Rest the turkey for at least an hour. Pop a bit of foil over the top, then cover with a tea towel.

I agree. I make a herb butter with room temp butter blended with sage rosemary and thyme. Then put that underneath the skin and then inside. Chuck half a lemon in there too and cover it with bacon. Resting is crucial and I do so for at least 90mins. Also this is when you can cook all the other dishes. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

You’re all missing the elephant in the room. The biggest question is: how long do you parboil the potatoes before roasting them? I’ve seen discussions on this topic almost come to blows, so let’s be civil…

10 mins, then allow to steam dry - rough ‘em up a bit (!), season and then into very hot oil (or fat) for 45 odd minutes. 

Parboiling timing depends if you put them into boiling water, or put them into cold water and bring to the boil, I suppose 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Milo said:

10 mins, then allow to steam dry - rough ‘em up a bit (!), season and then into very hot oil (or fat) for 45 odd minutes. 

Parboiling timing depends if you put them into boiling water, or put them into cold water and bring to the boil, I suppose 

Also it depends how big the taters are. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 22:09, Izzy said:

I'm a big Yorkshire pud fan but not with Xmas dinner.

By the time you've put all the turkey, spuds, veg, trimmings etc. on the plate, I find there's just no room left for Yorkies.

Could buy bigger plates I guess....

Use them as recepticles for other dinner components and it's like having bigger plates without the expense of a new set 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 21:09, Strokes said:

What’s the mock goose please?

I know you’re vegetarian but my daughter isn’t entirely a meat fan and sometimes enjoys a meat free option.

if it’s not too much hassle i might give it a bash.

I’ve long since lost the recipe for this, Strokes, so you’ll have to forgive my non-standard measurements.

Mock Goose

Measure out 2 large mugs of red split lentils and rinse thoroughly

Measure 3 mugs of water (from the same mug) into a saucepan and simmer gently until all the water is absorbed. Keep your eye on it and add small amounts of water if necessary (what you’re aiming to achieve is the lentils to be cooked without being runny – like a thick porridge). Once they are cooked add salt and pepper to taste, and a tablespoon of lemon juice (really important as it helps the lentil mix to set when baked) and stir in thoroughly. I always leave the cooked lentils to go cold as it helps to further stiffen the mix

Meantime, make your favourite stuffing mix (I make my own but shop-bought is fine).

Grease a 1lb loaf tin with butter and add half of the lentil mix. Next add a layer of stuffing, followed by a layer of the remaining lentil mix.

Bake in the oven pre-heated to 200C until the top browns.

Turn it out on to a baking tray (it will now be topside down) and put back into the oven to brown all over. If you have the time its better to wait for it to cool before turning it out as there is less chance of it sticking to the tin and breaking up.

To serve, cut into slices and enjoy!

Message me if you have any questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with gluten free Christmas dinner? We've got a couple of friends coming over now, and one of them eats gluten free. The things I think I need to watch are the gravy, cauliflower cheese, yorkshires and the stuffing. So pretty much the best bits lol Oh and no semolina on the roast potatoes. 

For stuffing I can do a separate dish for her with just the sausage meat, bacon and onion, but I think it will struggle to hold together. The rest of it I have no idea really? 

46 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Can anyone help me with gluten free Christmas dinner? We've got a couple of friends coming over now, and one of them eats gluten free. The things I think I need to watch are the gravy, cauliflower cheese, yorkshires and the stuffing. So pretty much the best bits lol Oh and no semolina on the roast potatoes. 

For stuffing I can do a separate dish for her with just the sausage meat, bacon and onion, but I think it will struggle to hold together. The rest of it I have no idea really? 

My wife is coeliac so we mostly eat GF together, rarely do we cook two dinners. Key bit is to make sure you have separate pans/dishes to cook it. Are you making everything yourself (sounds like it)? We use free from mix for stuffing balls (just add water). If making yourself, you could replace the bread with GF bread but we have never tried our own. Gravy we use Bisto Best I think as that is coeliac approved (if making yourself, use Cornflour to thicken it rather than normal flour). We don't eat cauliflower cheese (well my wife doesn't) so we don't make that but not sure what gluten included ingredients are in that?

It is normally much easier making everything yourself as you can control the ingredients, ready made mixes and sauces/spices can always have gluten in even if it shouldn't, we have seen some strange items that contain gluten when you wouldn't think it.

Just be aware of the sausage meat as most contain gluten. Best bet is those with a high meat content (e.g. 95% Pork sausages). Never heard of semolina on roast potatoes, ours are just plain (with seasoning only).

The biggest tips:

1. Separate gluten containing foods from those non-gluten ones

2. Always read the labels to check if gluten containing ingredients are in them (you do look like a bit of an idiot sometimes if reading every label on items)

3. Flour alternatives are cornflour (or use GF flour)

4. Bread/breadcrumb alternatives are simply using GF bread

Other than that not sure what else could help. Feel free to PM me (or reply) if you have any specific questions. And as always, lots of good recipes online.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

My wife is coeliac so we mostly eat GF together, rarely do we cook two dinners. Key bit is to make sure you have separate pans/dishes to cook it. Are you making everything yourself (sounds like it)? We use free from mix for stuffing balls (just add water). If making yourself, you could replace the bread with GF bread but we have never tried our own. Gravy we use Bisto Best I think as that is coeliac approved (if making yourself, use Cornflour to thicken it rather than normal flour). We don't eat cauliflower cheese (well my wife doesn't) so we don't make that but not sure what gluten included ingredients are in that?

It is normally much easier making everything yourself as you can control the ingredients, ready made mixes and sauces/spices can always have gluten in even if it shouldn't, we have seen some strange items that contain gluten when you wouldn't think it.

Just be aware of the sausage meat as most contain gluten. Best bet is those with a high meat content (e.g. 95% Pork sausages). Never heard of semolina on roast potatoes, ours are just plain (with seasoning only).

The biggest tips:

1. Separate gluten containing foods from those non-gluten ones

2. Always read the labels to check if gluten containing ingredients are in them (you do look like a bit of an idiot sometimes if reading every label on items)

3. Flour alternatives are cornflour (or use GF flour)

4. Bread/breadcrumb alternatives are simply using GF bread

Other than that not sure what else could help. Feel free to PM me (or reply) if you have any specific questions. And as always, lots of good recipes online.

That's amazingly helpful, thank you! It seems after a quick Google that we're quite lucky that our local supermarket, Mercadona, stocks lots of GF stuff, apparently they have a family member who is coeliac. I should easily be able to get hold of GF bread for the stuffing bread crumbs, and if I can't find Bisto Best in one of the English shops I'll use cornflour. 

The gluten in the cauliflower cheese would be in the sauce, the base of the sauce would normally be a roux with normal flour. 

My naivety is pretty shameful, I had no idea that cornflour is GF, sausage meat having gluten in hadn't crossed my mind, and I wouldn't have thought of GF bread for the bread crumbs so thanks :thumbup:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That's amazingly helpful, thank you! It seems after a quick Google that we're quite lucky that our local supermarket, Mercadona, stocks lots of GF stuff, apparently they have a family member who is coeliac. I should easily be able to get hold of GF bread for the stuffing bread crumbs, and if I can't find Bisto Best in one of the English shops I'll use cornflour. 

The gluten in the cauliflower cheese would be in the sauce, the base of the sauce would normally be a roux with normal flour. 

My naivety is pretty shameful, I had no idea that cornflour is GF, sausage meat having gluten in hadn't crossed my mind, and I wouldn't have thought of GF bread for the bread crumbs so thanks :thumbup:

Hope all goes well and glad I could help. It can be quite daunting cooking GF for the first time (or at least not often).

• Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 15:40, Sly said:

Okay, it’s our turn to cook this year. 

12 of us in total of various ages.

What is everyone having on their Christmas dinner menu? I need some inspiration.

I’m thinking:

Soup or Prawn Cocktail starter.

Turkey

Roast Potatoes

Stuffing - Sage / Onion and Sausage

Roast Parsnips

Pigs in blankets

Turkey Gravey

Cranberry Sauce

Carrots
Brussel sprouts

Peas

Christmas Pudding

Trifle 

Ice Cream

Meringue

Cheese Board

Various wines! 

I’m undecided on Yorkshire Puddings

Good to see peas on there, a staple part of any roast dinner for me.