Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OxfordshireFox

Worst player to wear the shirt in the Prem Era

In terms if ability yeh probably Bertrand. Although in terms of financial outlay, Silva was awful. Ghezzal was also pretty shite! The only thing I can say to defend Bertrand is he was never brought here to play regularly but with injuries to Ricardo and Justin he's played more than anyone would have liked. I think most were hoping we'd see Justin by November time but right now it feels like he'll never return.

Edit: I'm talking current prem era here as in from 2014 before I get anyone else accuse me of only starting supporting the club in the last few years. 

Edited by jayfox26

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

In terms if ability yeh probably Bertrand. Although in terms of financial outlay, Silva was awful. Ghezzal was also pretty shite! The only thing I can say to defend Bertrand is he was never brought here to play regularly but with injuries to Ricardo and Justin he's played more than anyone would have liked. I think most were hoping we'd see Justin by November time but right now it feels like he'll never return 

Guessing you only started supporting the club in the past couple of seasons?! We used to have a player called Junior Lewis…

It’s Junior Lewis

94/95 - Nicky Mohan
96/97 - Franck Rolling
97/98 - Julian Watts
98/99 - Charlie Miller

99/00 - Graham Fenton
00/01 - Junior Lewis

01/02 - Junior Lewis
03/04 - Alan Rogers

14/15 - Nick Powell

15/16 - Gokhan Inler

16/17 - Barton Kaputska
17/18 - Fousseni Diabate 

18/19 - Adrien Silva

19/20 - Ryan Bennett
20/21 - Islam Slimani

21/22 - Ryan Bertrand

• Like 2

Southampton fan in peace. 

Thank you for cheering me up and restoring my faith in my team for selling both of these players. (Bertrand was brilliant when he was younger but his legs are gone... as for Jan, he is just very poor) Sorry that your loss was our gain .. I have never understood your purchase of these 2 players as they were the main protagonist in that infamous match at St Mary's (we won't mention the score) good luck for the rest of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

To think he was on 70000 k a week and rejected a contract. That would normally indicate he got a better deal at his next club.

Let’s hope it’s long Covid and makes a recovery soon.

The NHS need to add the following very worrying symptom to Long Covid

’An inability to understand the offside rule.’

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, alanf0x said:

Guessing you only started supporting the club in the past couple of seasons?! We used to have a player called Junior Lewis…

The op was saying he was talking about the current prem era as is from 2014. Hence why I made my comment. 

Edited by jayfox26

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

Molla Wague. Injured on his first game only to return and score against us :rolleyes:

lol Classic Leicester.

He did wear the shirt, but he was only here on loan. For the seventy odd minutes that he played, he actually looked decent - but that was against Millwall in the cup. Dislocated his shoulder didn't he? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sly said:

It’s Junior Lewis

94/95 - Nicky Mohan
96/97 - Franck Rolling
97/98 - Julian Watts
98/99 - Charlie Miller

99/00 - Graham Fenton
00/01 - Junior Lewis

01/02 - Junior Lewis
03/04 - Alan Rogers

14/15 - Nick Powell

15/16 - Gokhan Inler

16/17 - Barton Kaputska
17/18 - Fousseni Diabate 

18/19 - Adrien Silva

19/20 - Ryan Bennett
20/21 - Islam Slimani

21/22 - Ryan Bertrand

I had forgotten all about Diabate. It was like he'd been designed and controlled by a kid on PES or FIFA, potentially looked really skilful with the quick feet and step overs but the outcomes were completely random, I don't think he knew what was going to happen, it was like watching a dog with a tennis ball running round the park in circles. Makes Schlupp look composed and focused. 

Inlers problem seemed to be that he needed the whole game to be 40% slower. From captain and regular starter for Switzerland to zero in months. It always sounds like Bull but I do however maintain having him here at least put some pressure on Drinky and Kante to perform that season and boy did they do just that.

Favourite Fenton memory was a game away to Chelsea, after the match O'Niell is asked about the selection of a clearly unfit Heskey and says something like "He's not 100% fit, actually he's not 10% fit but a dead Emile Heskey is better than the alternative". Fenton was fit, available and on the bench! 

Ryan Bennet - the nightmares haven't stopped :jawdrop:. Occasionally strikers trip over a divot in the pitch and are stopped in their tracks which makes that few inches of soil and grass a more effective defensive shield than Ryan F*****g Bennett was. His "after you Jeeves" defending made you think it was a non contact sport as opponents just cut across him like he wasn't there. Should've signed and selected a pitch divot instead!

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, crisp packet said:

Kevin Ellisson 

league 1/2 player at best . In fact still plays at the age of 42 for Newport. 

Special mentions to junior Lewis, Ade Ankinbyi and Trevor Benjamin.

Peter Taylor had a lot to answer for….

Trevor Benjamin! Bloody hell, the 'Heskey replacement' was about the equivalent of Ghezzel being the Mahrez replacement! 

Just now, Clarkey123 said:

Bena ‘the hitman’ louane was pretty bad, although had to love the guy for effort and aggression. Literally scared the s*it out of players with his tackling.

He was courageous in the UCL campaign though! 

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

I had forgotten all about Diabate. It was like he'd been designed and controlled by a kid on PES or FIFA, potentially looked really skilful with the quick feet and step overs but the outcomes were completely random, I don't think he knew what was going to happen, it was like watching a dog with a tennis ball running round the park in circles. Makes Schlupp look composed and focused. 

Inlers problem seemed to be that he needed the whole game to be 40% slower. From captain and regular starter for Switzerland to zero in months. It always sounds like Bull but I do however maintain having him here at least put some pressure on Drinky and Kante to perform that season and boy did they do just that.

Favourite Fenton memory was a game away to Chelsea, after the match O'Niell is asked about the selection of a clearly unfit Heskey and says something like "He's not 100% fit, actually he's not 10% fit but a dead Emile Heskey is better than the alternative". Fenton was fit, available and on the bench! 

Ryan Bennet - the nightmares haven't stopped :jawdrop:. Occasionally strikers trip over a divot in the pitch and are stopped in their tracks which makes that few inches of soil and grass a more effective defensive shield than Ryan F*****g Bennett was. His "after you Jeeves" defending made you think it was a non contact sport as opponents just cut across him like he wasn't there. Should've signed and selected a pitch divot instead!

This is brilliant. 

I actually went through the squads of each season and opted for my worst player. Some others were debatable though. 

1 minute ago, Gazza M said:

I think complete prem history you have to look at Ormondroyd, Carey, Mohan etc in that first ever season. Lewis and Marshall in the Taylor Times. Curtis and Howey in the Adams era, Bertrand, GTF and Bennett in this one. 

Correct, the team of this era, despite the current form, would beat the team from our first attempt in the Premier League. 

12 hours ago, Saint Bobby said:

Southampton fan here. I'm not surprised at all. Bertrand was washed up when he left here. He had lost his legs / pace to the point that he rarely got forward meaning our right back was the only full back who did. That made us lop-sided and easy to play against.

Vestergaard...don't get me started. Shit in the air for a big man, the turning circle of a barge, no pace. Lovely passing though, but as a defender he's a shocker. 

We're happy not to have either of them. 

Thanks for the honest, St's fan feedback, I hope you haven't hurt yourself laughing too much.

7 hours ago, Sly said:

It’s Junior Lewis

94/95 - Nicky Mohan
96/97 - Franck Rolling
97/98 - Julian Watts
98/99 - Charlie Miller

99/00 - Graham Fenton
00/01 - Junior Lewis

01/02 - Junior Lewis
03/04 - Alan Rogers

14/15 - Nick Powell

15/16 - Gokhan Inler

16/17 - Barton Kaputska
17/18 - Fousseni Diabate 

18/19 - Adrien Silva

19/20 - Ryan Bennett
20/21 - Islam Slimani

21/22 - Ryan Bertrand

Good list . I just don’t remember Charlie Miller. 

What about that fat drunk we got from Man City ( Michael something or other)-perhaps that was between prem seasons