Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Soyuncu

12 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He won't be easy to replace despite what everyone is saying on here.

It's amazing how people forget 2 fifth place finishes so quickly and his confident defending for much of that.

We're not the big attraction we were and will be lucky to get a replacement as good without taking a massive gamble.

.....for £38m, it will be a better offer than we would expect to receive, so we should take the money and run!!!

He has failed to progress this season and seems to have plateaued and the changes (due to injuries) in the backline obviously has not helped. At times he looks world class to me, but lacks the maturity and authority that would come with such a status. Prone to lose his head and unable to lead. We should use the money to invest in Chris Richards and Botman. Both players exiting in their own ways.

22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

All this depends on his contract talks, I think Rodgers wants to keep him ,especially as Jonny is ageing, but if he wants too much and his agent thinks he can do better somewhere else then of course we will have to make him available. We are going to have to be realistic here, a reliable ,experienced CB to replace Caglar will not be cheap and will demand well over over £5 million a year. Will he be as good? I don't know but there is a risk. Tarkowski could replace him but there is going to be a bidding war and we will lose for sure.

....we surely would not be looking for Tarkowski to come in and replace Caglar!!!

If anything Tarkowski would be the older hand to replace Evans, with younger Centre Backs coming in to compete for Caglar's position. There maybe one or two teams looking at Tarkowski but I feel we may have this locked down already.

38 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

🤔 He has helped us get into Europe two years in a row and still could do it a third.

£38m would be a decent price for a third choice centre back as long what comes in is as good. If not we’re short on back up again. 

You could say that about any player in the squad. You could also say that he helped us crash out of Europe.

I just don't think, through out the course of a season, he's good enough.

He's somewhere in between being too good for a bench player, but not good enough for our first 11.

If he's happy to be on the bench, great, but I wouldn't want to see him as our first choice CB.

Also got to consider, last season we conceded considerably more goals than any other team in and around us until you go all the way down to 9th place, Leeds Utd.

We have our attacking threat to thank for Europe a lot more than our defence.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

It's pretty crazy just how much he has declined this season. At his peak over the year before this season, you would have expected to raise 60-70m for him if he had kept that form up. He clearly has huge ability and still had potential to fulfil, it's just a bit of a shock to see just how backwards he's gone this year. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

You could say that about any player in the squad. You could also say that he helped us crash out of Europe.

I just don't think, through out the course of a season, he's good enough.

He's somewhere in between being too good for a bench player, but not good enough for our first 11.

If he's happy to be on the bench, great, but I wouldn't want to see him as our first choice CB.

That’s fair enough though I do think he’s still played an important part in both getting to Europe and us getting as far as we have this season.

A lot of it seems to depend with who he’s playing with.

• Like 2

Just now, when_you're_smiling said:

That’s fair enough though I do think he’s still played an important part in both getting to Europe and us getting as far as we have this season.

Yes, I am happy to compromise on that and I have been perhaps a bit harsh on him.

I would like him to be a back up CB, I am just not sure he would be happy with that.

I just think we should be aiming for another Fofana and I don't think Soyunchu even has the potential to be anywhere close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

All this depends on his contract talks, I think Rodgers wants to keep him ,especially as Jonny is ageing, but if he wants too much and his agent thinks he can do better somewhere else then of course we will have to make him available. We are going to have to be realistic here, a reliable ,experienced CB to replace Caglar will not be cheap and will demand well over over £5 million a year. Will he be as good? I don't know but there is a risk. Tarkowski could replace him but there is going to be a bidding war and we will lose for sure.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned on here that he’s resisted the temptation to sign a new contract and probably double his pay packet due to the hype that was round him expecting a massive move… as things stand 38m for him (if true) is a no brainer with a year left on his contract especially when you see Youri being quoted at 25m

51 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

It's pretty crazy just how much he has declined this season. At his peak over the year before this season, you would have expected to raise 60-70m for him if he had kept that form up. He clearly has huge ability and still had potential to fulfil, it's just a bit of a shock to see just how backwards he's gone this year. 

Alot of people forget just how good Caglar was when Maguire left. He has regressed no doubt, but what a story moving to one of the greatest teams on the planet, and we get paid good money for it. Win win for everyone.

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

Yes, I am happy to compromise on that and I have been perhaps a bit harsh on him.

I would like him to be a back up CB, I am just not sure he would be happy with that.

I just think we should be aiming for another Fofana and I don't think Soyunchu even has the potential to be anywhere close.

....a bit of an insult!!!

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....a bit of an insult!!!

Its harsh, yes, but do you really want to see him as first choice in our back 4?

I just don't think he's good enough. Too prone to lapses in concentration and just a bit too rash.

As much as I like Evans too, I still think that position alongside Fofana is one we could really improve on.

Edited by adejo92

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's turned his season around IMO, he's back to being much more reliable and his long range passing is a sensation.

That said, he's evidently not going to sign a new contract here unless we offer stupid money so we have to sell this summer.

....if that list regarding wages is accurate, then there is plenty of scope to increase his wages!!!

So long as he has a regular partner who organises then he is ok. As soon as pressure comes on to the backline and no one takes responsibility to refocus the defence, he goes to pieces. No leadership ability within him, plenty of room for personal growth but is it what he wants to do.

9 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Its harsh, yes, but do you really want to see him as first choice in our back 4?

I just don't think he's good enough. Too prone to lapses in concentration and just a bit too rash.

As much as I like Evans too, I still think that position alongside Fofana is one we could really improve on.

...always saw him as part of the Fofana, Soyuncu backline for the future!!!

His levels of concentration stems from not having to be the one in charge of the backline. He needs to grow up in that respect, but at his best he is a quality CB, he just need to work on his own development, it is lacking at the moment.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...always saw him as part of the Fofana, Soyuncu backline for the future!!!

His levels of concentration stems from not having to be the one in charge of the backline. He needs to grow up in that respect, but at his best he is a quality CB, he just need to work on his own development, it is lacking at the moment.

Fair comment mate, I guess how long do you give him and at 25 years old, with a couple of years experience under his belt in the premier league, should he still be lacking what are sometimes the basics of defending?

There's definitely a player in there, he just puts me on edge too much!

Edited by adejo92

3 hours ago, Md9 said:

Looks like Madrid maybe getting rudiger for free so maybe won’t need him? 

This is my view, just can’t see it. Especially when Madrid can get Rudiger on a free. 

On the flip side Chelsea are potentially (likely) losing both Christensen and Rudiger this summer, so may come calling for Cags. Would hope we could recoup c. £30m for him still. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think it’s evident to me that his confidence benefits from having a Top class defender next to him.  With Evans or Fofana next to him he knows he can fully commit to a header or steam in for a tackle as he knows he’s got someone as cool as a cucumber behind him. That was evident somewhat today with Fofana but it was clearly a subdued performance all round by the team. 

but with Amartey., who hasn’t been too shabby I don’t think, it’s a different story. He has to take the lead role, he’s the one who has to hold it back and pick up the pieces and that’s just not him. He’s just not a leader which sounds bizarre to say, considering his experience, size and physicality.  He should be a leader and that’s the problem for me, he’s one dimensional and  falls to pieces without an experienced leader next to him.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 3

....Fofana had a not so good day today, and it shows how much he needs to have Evans to reign him in!!!

He was making poor decisions and was rash a few times and throughout the game he seemed out of sorts. Should be different with Evans back on Thursday, having a word and Wes knowing he has cover. Too often today his pairing today with Soyuncu showed they are too similar and one of them needs to sit at times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

He was excellent today

• Like 3