Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Benguin

Covid Roll Call

Covid Roll Call  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had Covid-19?

• Tested Positive
    • Not had it yet
    • Never tested positive, but think I’ve had it

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Do let the world know when such harm can be conclusively proven to reach even a fraction of the six and half million people and countless people harmed by the disease itself, ne?

We’ve been over this before. 6 -7 million people from a population nearing 8 billion is minuscule, adding most were elderly with 1 or more co-morbidities. That is what I feel anyway. Another aspect of the whole debacle and possibly the turning point for myself was when Governments including our own were pursuing mandatory vaccination. Look at what damage that did to the care sector. Fortunately for everyone the kickback from the health care sector prevailed. Quite ironic that thousands of health care workers rejected it.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

We’ve been over this before. 6 -7 million people from a population nearing 8 billion is minuscule, adding most were elderly with 1 or more co-morbidities. That is what I feel anyway. Another aspect of the whole debacle and possibly the turning point for myself was when Governments including our own were pursuing mandatory vaccination. Look at what damage that did to the care sector. Fortunately for everyone the kickback from the health care sector prevailed. Quite ironic that thousands of health care workers rejected it.  

...and the number harmed by the vaccine and the measures taken regarding it is therefore far more miniscule than that.

People are simply choosing, erroneously, a human-shaped boogeyman as a bigger threat than the natural world because it's more understandable to them and gives them more of a semblance of control over their own lives. Now, I can certainly understand that sentiment, but it certainly isn't based on factual information and rational conclusion.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...and the number harmed by the vaccine and the measures taken regarding it is therefore far more miniscule than that.

People are simply choosing, erroneously, a human-shaped boogeyman as a bigger threat than the natural world because it's more understandable to them and gives them more of a semblance of control over their own lives. Now, I can certainly understand that sentiment, but it certainly isn't based on factual information and rational conclusion.

I kind of agree with you there. That's what makes us human, trust I suppose isn't tangible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is anyone still testing these days anyway?

I've had 2 'colds' in the last month, 1 which was a minor sniffle, 1 which left me feeling rough for a full week. No idea if either was Covid to be honest, and why does it matter? 

Yes, I prefer to know if it's that or something else personally. That way I can make an informed decision about seeing family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

I've had 2 'colds' in the last month, 1 which was a minor sniffle, 1 which left me feeling rough for a full week. No idea if either was Covid to be honest, and why does it matter? 

I've had a minor sniffle, didn't test, and then this week felt of bit grotty and run down. If I feel any worse or experience any of the symptoms I did when I had Covid, I'll test. It matters to me because I have elderly and vulnerable parents. I also wouldn't want to pass it on to others who may have the same vulnerable family members.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoyleFox said:

It matters to me because I have elderly and vulnerable parents. I also wouldn't want to pass it on to others who may have the same vulnerable family members.

It seems there's only so many times that you can attempt explain this to some members on this forum. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Is it sill here or are we safe to come out yet

It's still there alright, as I've finally caught it. Only like a cold and minor chest infection for me (plus sporadic minor soreness in hamstrings and hips) and seem to be improving now.

Lucky that it's currently less potent variants out there and I'm up to date with vaccinations.

News reports show increased number of Covid hospitalisations (thousands currently) but very few currently needing intensive care or dying, it seems. Mind you, a new variant is prevalent in the US and there's the risk of dangerous new variants emerging from China now that they've ended their strict lockdowns and are letting it rip.

2 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

I had 2 colds in a couple of months before Xmas and tested negative both times. I then had similar sniffles for 2-3 days after Xmas, assumed it was the same but then started getting a bit shivery so finally tested.....and was positive!

In the past 9 months, I've only tested (a) when visiting someone vulnerable; or (b) when I got any symptoms - always negative until now. The kits are cheap - 5 test kits for about £9 at Sainsbury's, probably less elsewhere.

I suppose it matters because colds won't usually cause serious illness or death to those with vulnerabilities, whereas Covid (and flu) often can.

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

How do people know they have it? Why are you testing, unless you have a vulnerable relative what is the point anymore.

See above for your first question.

As to what the point is......

- Even if you don't have a vulnerable relative, someone else will have: you can pass Covid to a colleague/mate, who then passes it to their frail granddad, cancer-patient sister or whatever.

- Limiting spread also means less pressure on hospitals, which are already struggling due to staff shortages, backlogs, high demand etc. There are currently thousands in hospital with Covid, many with no other condition. There is even a self-interest argument here: fewer Covid patients in hospital = more chance you get good treatment if, say, you get cancer or have a car crash. There are already people dying at home or in ambulances outside hospitals - of causes other than Covid.

- Less Covid spread reduces the chances of new, more dangerous variants developing (though there must be a chance of something nasty emerging out of China, now they've stopped strict lockdowns and Covid is ripping through 1.4bn people)

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious here. In recent months, I've only tested when I had potential symptoms - and left it for 2-3 days when cold symptoms started post-Xmas (may have caught it at the 0-3 Boxing Day match :rolleyes:).

Just one personal example, though: the father of my daughter's best mate nearly died of Covid 1-2 years ago. Testing has allowed me to isolate from daughter, who has tested negative, minimizing risk of passing it on to her mate's vulnerable Dad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

It seems there's only so many times that you can attempt explain this to some members on this forum. 

Is Covid still a greater risk to an elderly or immunocompromised person than some strains of cold or flu? Especially given that any vulnerable person will have had many booster jabs by now against Covid, and also factoring in that Covid significantly de-clawed itself in terms of sympton severity when Omicron became dominant globally. 

2 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is Covid still a greater risk to an elderly or immunocompromised person than some strains of cold or flu? Especially given that any vulnerable person will have had many booster jabs by now against Covid, and also factoring in that Covid significantly de-clawed itself in terms of sympton severity when Omicron became dominant globally. 

Incidentally, my comment wasn't expressly directed at you. 

The point is, you really wouldn't want to pass on either if you can help it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

It's still there alright, as I've finally caught it. Only like a cold and minor chest infection for me (plus sporadic minor soreness in hamstrings and hips) and seem to be improving now.

Lucky that it's currently less potent variants out there and I'm up to date with vaccinations.

News reports show increased number of Covid hospitalisations (thousands currently) but very few currently needing intensive care or dying, it seems. Mind you, a new variant is prevalent in the US and there's the risk of dangerous new variants emerging from China now that they've ended their strict lockdowns and are letting it rip.

I had 2 colds in a couple of months before Xmas and tested negative both times. I then had similar sniffles for 2-3 days after Xmas, assumed it was the same but then started getting a bit shivery so finally tested.....and was positive!

In the past 9 months, I've only tested (a) when visiting someone vulnerable; or (b) when I got any symptoms - always negative until now. The kits are cheap - 5 test kits for about £9 at Sainsbury's, probably less elsewhere.

I suppose it matters because colds won't usually cause serious illness or death to those with vulnerabilities, whereas Covid (and flu) often can.

See above for your first question.

As to what the point is......

- Even if you don't have a vulnerable relative, someone else will have: you can pass Covid to a colleague/mate, who then passes it to their frail granddad, cancer-patient sister or whatever.

- Limiting spread also means less pressure on hospitals, which are already struggling due to staff shortages, backlogs, high demand etc. There are currently thousands in hospital with Covid, many with no other condition. There is even a self-interest argument here: fewer Covid patients in hospital = more chance you get good treatment if, say, you get cancer or have a car crash. There are already people dying at home or in ambulances outside hospitals - of causes other than Covid.

- Less Covid spread reduces the chances of new, more dangerous variants developing (though there must be a chance of something nasty emerging out of China, now they've stopped strict lockdowns and Covid is ripping through 1.4bn people)

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious here. In recent months, I've only tested when I had potential symptoms - and left it for 2-3 days when cold symptoms started post-Xmas (may have caught it at the 0-3 Boxing Day match :rolleyes:).

Just one personal example, though: the father of my daughter's best mate nearly died of Covid 1-2 years ago. Testing has allowed me to isolate from daughter, who has tested negative, minimizing risk of passing it on to her mate's vulnerable Dad.

Christ is that how much the tests cost!!!!! Glad I stocked up when they were free, not that I plan to use them, if i get ill I’m staying inside, period. More so if/when another covid drama arrives and we’re forced to test to do anything fun again 

52 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I'm not trying to be ignorant here but are you prepared to live the rest of you life like that, testing for covid. What about testing for normal flu, how do you do that incase of passing it on? Surely the sensible thing to do is, if you are ill and able to keep away from people then do so. Chained to a testing regime is bonkers, so many other virus' or diseases out there that can affect people too. Just my opinion....

"Chained to a testing regime"? I've tested about 7 times in the past 9 months - only when visiting someone vulnerable, when I got potential symptoms or when required for an event.

Each test takes about 5 minutes and costs less than £2. Yep, I reckon that I can cope for life with being "chained to a testing regime" requiring less than 5 minutes and £2 per month!

Blimey, I hate to imagine how you'd cope if you faced a more arduous task like going to the shop for a pint of milk or walking to the football.  :D

As I only had mild symptoms (runny nose, tickly throat, slight achiness), without testing I wouldn't have known that I had Covid. I'd have thought that I just had a cold and would have gone about potentially infecting people.

Fair point about flu. Despite now being 60, I've never had flu to my knowledge - and don't even know if testing is possible outside hospitals. I've had a flu jab the last couple of years (never bothered before).

Otherwise, I'd probably just keep away from others if I got flu symptoms - but, as I understand it, you're not likely to be out and about if you get flu, anyway.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

"Chained to a testing regime"? I've tested about 7 times in the past 9 months - only when visiting someone vulnerable, when I got potential symptoms or when required for an event.

Each test takes about 5 minutes and costs less than £2. Yep, I reckon that I can cope for life with being "chained to a testing regime" requiring less than 5 minutes and £2 per month!

Blimey, I hate to imagine how you'd cope if you faced a more arduous task like going to the shop for a pint of milk or walking to the football.  :D

As I only had mild symptoms (runny nose, tickly throat, slight achiness), without testing I wouldn't have known that I had Covid. I'd have thought that I just had a cold and would have gone about potentially infecting people.

Fair point about flu. Despite now being 60, I've never had flu to my knowledge - and don't even know if testing is possible outside hospitals. I've had a flu jab the last couple of years (never bothered before).

Otherwise, I'd probably just keep away from others if I got flu symptoms - but, as I understand it, you're not likely to be out and about if you get flu, anyway.

When I said chained to a testing regime I meant expanding it to the whole population again, it didn't expectly do much when it was in play. Like I said I tried to caveat it with ''just my opinion'' and ''not trying to be ignorant'' but never mind. 

My overarching point is we can't wrap everyone in cotton wool. I understand risk mitigation, but there are plenty of other things out there alongside covid that can do damage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

When I said chained to a testing regime I meant expanding it to the whole population again, it didn't expectly do much when it was in play. Like I said I tried to caveat it with ''just my opinion'' and ''not trying to be ignorant'' but never mind. 

My overarching point is we can't wrap everyone in cotton wool. I understand risk mitigation, but there are plenty of other things out there alongside covid that can do damage. 

Absolutely. Though I'm not sure how many of those that both have left six million hats on the ground (possibly more) in two and a bit years and we can mitigate against more than we do so already (like cancer, heart conditions, accidents etc).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

You asked me if I was prepared to live the rest of my life like that, then used the phrase "chained to a testing regime". So, I gave my opinion on that, based on current realities.

You didn't mention "expanding it to the whole population again" and I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

If Covid or any other disease became much more dangerous again, more testing would seem a good idea - but that's not justified at the moment.

Testing is currently available to the whole population on a voluntary basis. I think it's a good idea to test selectively as each individual deems necessary, for the reasons I've given. Other people can make up their own minds.

• Like 1