Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
K789

Alex Smithies

Decent as third-choice. Don't forget we've lost a senior figure in the dressing room with Kasper going. He wasn't just a keeper.

He was never at Schmeichel's level but he'll have advice and insights as a former #1 and backup keeper that he can pass on to Ward and Iversen.

A solid squad signing.

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

"Good signing because he'll never play" lol .

A hill that I'll die on is having a senior 3rd choice GK is absolutely unnecessary - spend those wages on having an absolutely elite analytics and recruitment team instead.

Isn't the point of a 3rd choice keeper more to mentor the youthful 2nd choice? I get that Iversen isn't a 'youth' keeper any more but in terms of experience there's worlds between him and Smithies. Stolarcyk needs to go out on loan so makes sense for a seasoned pro to come in and help the day-to-day training of Ward and Iversen

• Like 2

Also no point signing international who’s team in World Cup, ward and iversen could both be there, imagine we will have behind closed doors friendlies whilst the breaks in place for them to stay fit. He will keep standards high and is experienced with plenty of games behind him. Chill

• Like 1

Just now, Spudulike said:

Is JP hinting that sales of Soumare and Vestergaard are not far away? 

I think partly. They're basically 2 players that will be sold first by the sounds of it. Let's hope it isn't too far away. 

2 minutes ago, Scotch said:

My only problem with this is squad space. 

If we are going to sign this fella, I would rather we kept Stolarczyk and loaned out Iversen. Frees up an outfield position, albeit at the cost of the young fellas development. 

Stolarczyk needs games and is also born before 1st January 2001 and therefore takes up a 25 man squad place anyway if he were to be kept around as 2nd/3rd choice.

• Like 2

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Bloated wage bill so let's sign someone who won't make an appearance. Model club.

Dont really get that argument - it’s small wages and gets a good prospect out playing. It will be insignificant to the general scheme of things 

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

"Good signing because he'll never play" lol .

A hill that I'll die on is having a senior 3rd choice GK is absolutely unnecessary - spend those wages on having an absolutely elite analytics and recruitment team instead.

Smithies has played 468 professional games and is a lot older than either Ward or Iversen.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Stolarczyk needs games and is also born before 1st January 2001 and therefore takes up a 25 man squad place anyway if he were to be kept around as 2nd/3rd choice.

Fair enough. I though he was younger. 

It's just annoying that we have to spend a precious squad space on someone (not this lad in particular) that will prob never play a league match for us. 

I get that we have to do it and as 3rd choice keepers go, he's fine. It just sticks in my craw a little. 

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Bloated wage bill so let's sign someone who won't make an appearance. Model club.

3rd choice keeper is just not needed, unless Iversen is going as Smithies becomes number 2 but that is no benefit considering Iversen's age.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tielemans63 said:

£50k a week and a 4 year contract does seem risky.

I suppose this would make sense if true - sell one or both of Ward/Iversen next year and go in for a proper Schmeichel replacement (Lafont et al) but keep Smithies No.3 for a few years to get some continuity

1 minute ago, stb1996 said:

Isn't the point of a 3rd choice keeper more to mentor the youthful 2nd choice? I get that Iversen isn't a 'youth' keeper any more but in terms of experience there's worlds between him and Smithies. Stolarcyk needs to go out on loan so makes sense for a seasoned pro to come in and help the day-to-day training of Ward and Iversen

We have a goal keeping coach to do that.

Paying Smithies £1,000,000 GBP per annum to play 0 minutes is just a waste

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Dont really get that argument - it’s small wages and gets a good prospect out playing. It will be insignificant to the general scheme of things 

Our issue is too many not contributing. The overwhelming likelihood is that he won't contribute one iota whilst being here. Is he significantly better than Odunze for example?