Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
K789

Alex Smithies

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

To be fair at 32, I'd not be arsed. He'll be on less than £20k a week and I'm convinced we sell Iversen in the next 12 months.

Not sure I get this deal - will it generate a saving on Stolarczyk‘s wages? Isn’t he just occupying a squad place for numbers sake?

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You don't really understand this 3rd keeper lark. 

Man City Scott Carson.

Man U Tom Heaton

We have no European competition this season a huge break over the World Cup we need players out the door it’s not a signing that’s needed 

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Our issue is too many not contributing. The overwhelming likelihood is that he won't contribute one iota whilst being here. Is he significantly better than Odunze for example?

He’s probably not better but would I rather see Odunze playing games for the Under 21s or being available for a loan, yes.

3rd keeper always travels with the squad - so we’d have a prospect doing zero development sitting in hotels every weekend 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Smithies has played 468 professional games and is a lot older than either Ward or Iversen.

Unless I'm being thick this isn't relevant to my previous post?

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

3rd choice keeper is just not needed, unless Iversen is going as Smithies becomes number 2 but that is no benefit considering Iversen's age.

Just now, Stadt said:

We have a goal keeping coach to do that.

Paying Smithies £1,000,000 GBP per annum to play 0 minutes is just a waste

Do you not both agree it's a bit of a unique season?

We have an entire month where if we didn't sign a seasoned Pro as 3rd choice we would have NO goalkeepers as the other two are at the world cup.

We're going to be training and playing freindlies during that time. We might even end up with 1 of the 2 coming back injured depending on what happens in Qatar. 

It just makes sense. Don't overthink it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thebluefox85 said:

We have no European competition this season a huge break over the World Cup we need players out the door it’s not a signing that’s needed 

we cant only have 2 keepers on the books. It looks like Stolarczyk is going out on loan. 

We need 3 senior keepers, every club does it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, westernpark said:

The club must be confident of getting rid of others if we are signing Smithies and presumably registering him.

We have a space, Stolarcyk will go on loan.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

We have a goal keeping coach to do that.

Paying Smithies £1,000,000 GBP per annum to play 0 minutes is just a waste

Whilst Stowell is a quality GK coach, he's running sessions not taking part in them with the keepers. Smithies is an experienced keeper in the modern game that can pass his knowledge on. 

By your argument, we shouldn't sign another CB as we've got Kolo Toure in the staff?

Just now, AjcW said:

We have an entire month where if we didn't sign a seasoned Pro as 3rd choice we would have NO goalkeepers as the other two are at the world cup.

We're going to be training and playing freindlies during that time. We might even end up with 1 of the 2 coming back injured depending on what happens in Qatar. 

I hadn't thought about the world cup but still, I'd rather put a tiny amount of faith in our young keepers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stb1996 said:

Whilst Stowell is a quality GK coach, he's running sessions not taking part in them with the keepers. Smithies is an experienced keeper in the modern game that can pass his knowledge on. 

By your argument, we shouldn't sign another CB as we've got Kolo Toure in the staff?

No, because you can play multiple CBs at any one time and they're much more likely to be injured/need to be rotated.

Edited by Stadt

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

You know we won't have any games during the World Cup yeah?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Surely that's irrelivant because we're gonna potentially have lots of players at the World Cup.

If I was worried about injuries too then we minds well start signing three players in every position "just in case".

Games played during World Cup time will be friendlies. We don't need to sign players for friendlies.

Edited by Fox92

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Also do we not have to register 3 Gk’s in the PL?

• Like 1