Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales

I mean, we should win the group but...

We should have beaten the likes of Morroco, Costa Rica, & Algeria in previous WC group stages and we should have beat the USA in 2010 

And we all know Wales will be massively up for it against us and play out of their skins.

Can see a scenario where we might not even qualify for the next phase if we're not careful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I mean, we should win the group but...

We should have beaten the likes of Morroco, Costa Rica, & Algeria in previous WC group stages and we should have beat the USA in 2010 

And we all know Wales will be massively up for it against us and play out of their skins.

Can see a scenario where we might not even qualify for the next phase if we're not careful.

I don't think we'll win the group.  As you have suggested, finishing 2nd is not a given either.

Southgate will never adjust his style of play to suit tournament football.  If the opposing teams are adventurous in their approach, we're done for imo and will struggle to get to the knockout stages.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Are USA decent? I know they obviously have some good players.

Not sure if the FIFA world rankings are anything to go by but the USA are 16th (Wales 19th and Iran 20th)

All three above the likes of Serbia, Sweden, Ukraine, Chile, Nigeria, Algeria and others so they're no mugs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Are USA decent? I know they obviously have some good players.

On paper they have some decent attackers (Pulisic, Reyna, Sergeant) but they kinda limped through qualifying and they didn’t qualify in 2018, so I wouldn’t be too worried about them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I don't think we'll win the group.  As you have suggested, finishing 2nd is not a given either.

Southgate will never adjust his style of play to suit tournament football.  If the opposing teams are adventurous in their approach, we're done for imo and will struggle to get to the knockout stages.

I'd say the opposite - literally his football style is ideal for tournaments. Keep it tight, score off set pieces. Hence his success in the two tournament appearances under him. 

About four in the Welsh squad I'm sure I've never heard of before (Harris, Levitt, Smith and Cabango).

Though to be fair my knowledge of the Welsh squad is so out of date I'm looking for Vokes and Robson-Kanu lol

Edited by Tuna