Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

I may be unusual/different because.........

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

But that was just a misunderstanding.

The customer ordered toad in the hole, but the employee misheard it as "toad in a roll".

:D

Moosebreath would agree..;)

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

I loved school, I didn't mind homework, I studied hard for exams, I don't mind work, I haven't taken all my annual leave off during the last few years and since I started a new job in November last year, I have always started a few minutes earlier than my colleagues and finish a few minutes after they have gone.

We are literally the exact opposite personality. first out the door at work to go home. Holidays rinsed by September. No interest in school. Did bare minimum homework and never bothered with exams (I saw them even back then as a test/rating of my intelligence, not a test to be 'passed') 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Never watched  in full any Indiana Jones films or Star Wars or Harry Potter.

You're lucky!

They've all just been added back to Netflix. Was hoping the Mrs wouldnt notice but she's been watching them all evening for possibly the 600th time.

• Haha 2

On 16/05/2023 at 10:37, Free Falling Foxes said:

Fill in the blank.

I wondered this when I heard that a 30 odd year old fella we know cannot ride  a bike. His parents never bought him one and he, well, just never learnt.

I'm not knocking it, I'm not saying it's not normal. After all, what is normal? However, I think it is fair to say, it's unusual.

So I wondered about myself.

I didnt learn to swim until my late 40s, and even now I would describe my self as a poor swimmer.

I dont like parties/social gatherings.

Finally, I'm not mad keen with on going on holidays. This is, perhaps, the most unusual?

Anyway, I thought I would throw it open to fellow FTers. Is there anything that possibly sets you apart?

What is it about the holiday experience you don't like? Maybe you just haven't gone to the right places? 

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

What is it about the holiday experience you don't like? Maybe you just haven't gone to the right places? 

It is an interesting point and a question I've asked myself many times.

I have been on a wide variety of holidays I think.

As a child, we usually went to the east coast for a week. As an adult, I've been on holidays with mates and they included camping once and hiring a boat on the Thames and also the Norfolk Broads.  I've been away with girlfriends too.

All of these were in the UK.

Since I've been married. Mrs.FFF along with our children, have had holidays in the uk and on the continent. Some beach based breaks others, city based like Paris. We've also visited ancient sites elsewhere.

I would say that in each case, no matter even if the holiday is going well, I'm always looking forward to getting home.

I do wonder if it is genetic, if that's possible? My two sisters aren't that keen either. My brother however, jets off 2 or 3 times a year.

I guess my holidays haven't always been totally relaxing. We have always been planning this or doing that whereas my ideal break would be somewhere rural, going for the odd walk or cycle and just chill.

I'm lucky though, I can do that from home.

After a day out on my bike for example, I feel totally recharged and relaxed.

9 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

As a child, we usually went to the east coast for a week. As an adult, I've been on holidays with mates and they included camping once and hiring a boat on the Thames and also the Norfolk Broads.  I've been away with girlfriends too.

Since I've been married. Mrs.FFF along with our children, have had holidays in the uk and on the continent. Some beach based breaks others, city based like Paris. We've also visited ancient sites elsewhere.

I would say that in each case, no matter even if the holiday is going well, I'm always looking forward to getting home.

I do wonder if it is genetic, if that's possible? My two sisters aren't that keen either. My brother however, jets off 2 or 3 times a year.

I guess my holidays haven't always been totally relaxing. We have always been planning this or doing that whereas my ideal break would be somewhere rural, going for the odd walk or cycle and just chill.

I mean there's absolutely nothing wrong with not enjoying the holiday experience experience. Probably shows your very content with your home life which is the more important thing. There are expensive and sometimes you're more knackered at the end than you were before but I dunno, I just love seeing new places 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Not at all into lad culture. Love island, socks with sliders, the tinder thread etc just ain't for me. Think I was born in the wrong era sometimes 

You think you were born in the wrong era because you don’t like love island or wearing sliders? 

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Understand this view. I'm not the best sleeper and different beds etc don't help. I quite like train travel but not keen on long car journeys or flying. My wife probably dislikes travelling more than I do. If you could beam us to places as in Star Trek style we would go to more places. Prefer day trips or couple days away max. Cycle or walking is good.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Understand this view. I'm not the best sleeper and different beds etc don't help. I quite like train travel but not keen on long car journeys or flying. My wife probably dislikes travelling more than I do. If you could beam us to places as in Star Trek style we would go to more places. Prefer day trips or couple days away max. Cycle or walking is good.

It would appear my younger self knew my feelings re holidays.

Although I have no reallocation of this, my dad told me I said to him when on holiday when I was 6 or 7, can we go home each night and come back in the morning.

Like you Foxdiamond, I too have thought of the Star Trek 'beaming' analogy at times.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

We are literally the exact opposite personality. first out the door at work to go home. Holidays rinsed by September. No interest in school. Did bare minimum homework and never bothered with exams (I saw them even back then as a test/rating of my intelligence, not a test to be 'passed') 

I always have that silly thought that because I leave on time or get in a touch early to leave earlier, I look bad compared to colleagues who stay later everyday. 

43 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I always have that silly thought that because I leave on time or get in a touch early to leave earlier, I look bad compared to colleagues who stay later everyday. 

Yup. Agree. It has its drawbacks. Lack of (or slower) career progression is a price I'm prepared to pay. 

I have tried to drum into co workers and even bosses - with some traction actually nowadays - that those unable to complete their work in the allotted time aren't actually efficiently doing their jobs.