Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

You don't think that Barnes' affinity for the club, having been here since childhood, counts for anything?

And you're happy for mega-rich Newcastle to have our pants down?  

As I have already said, keep him and we have a great chance of regaining the riches of the PL and if he did sulk/kick off, then sell.  I just don't think that he would.

If we sell Barnes and go up anyway, once we get there, we wouldn't be able to afford to buy a player of Barnes' quality. 

Where did I say it counts for nothing? Maybe it does, but he clearly sees he's good enough (and he is) for a club playing in Europe. He gets to continue playing at the top level and play in the Champions League. Why would he stay with us when that's on the table? 

I'm not happy for Newcastle to have our pants down. Where did I say this? Due to the relegation we don't have the best cards to play with sadly. 

Again, we don't lack ambition because we sell Barnes. Of course we have a big chance of promotion if he stays. But given he's agreed terms with Newcastle on probably a much bigger wage than we can offer, he's clearly wanting to leave? It shouldn't have to come to him kicking up a fuss or throwing toys out the pram. 

We may not be able to afford someone of Barnes quality, but we would be able to afford a player or two that could do a job there and contribute enough to help us stay up. 

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Where did I say it counts for nothing? Maybe it does, but he clearly sees he's good enough (and he is) for a club playing in Europe. He gets to continue playing at the top level and play in the Champions League. Why would he stay with us when that's on the table? 

I'm not happy for Newcastle to have our pants down. Where did I say this? Due to the relegation we don't have the best cards to play with sadly. 

Again, we don't lack ambition because we sell Barnes. Of course we have a big chance of promotion if he stays. But given he's agreed terms with Newcastle on probably a much bigger wage than we can offer, he's clearly wanting to leave? It shouldn't have to come to him kicking up a fuss or throwing toys out the pram. 

We may not be able to afford someone of Barnes quality, but we would be able to afford a player or two that could do a job there and contribute enough to help us stay up. 

Sigh.  

To be clear, you were saying that Barnes is a player that wants to leave and I am simply saying that he is no ordinary player because he has such a deep history and affinity for the club, being a supporter and a player since childhood, therefore, I think that this counts for something if we were trying to persuade him to say.  Might not I dunno, I don't know him but you don't have to react so aggressively.  

Secondly, if you are happy to accept £35m for Barnes , way below market value imo, then by extension, you are saying that you are happy to let Newcastle have out pants down.

I don't think it was difficult to understand.

9 minutes ago, murphy said:

Sigh.  

To be clear, you were saying that Barnes is a player that wants to leave and I am simply saying that he is no ordinary player because he has such a deep history and affinity for the club, being a supporter and a player since childhood, therefore, I think that this counts for something if we were trying to persuade him to say.  Might not I dunno, I don't know him but you don't have to react so aggressively.  

Secondly, if you are happy to accept £35m for Barnes , way below market value imo, then by extension, you are saying that you are happy to let Newcastle have out pants down.

No need to be so condescending, and there's absolutely no aggression on my part. I see it as a discussion and debate about a very good player leaving our club. I don't want him to leave. Neither do you. 

All I'm saying is that there's more than just sentimentality when it comes to the transfer. He has a career to think about beyond the connection he's had with the club for several years. And I don't begrudge him being able to continue playing in the Premier League. 

For all we know maybe we have tried to persuade hi.... 

It's not about being 'happy' about the fee either. Ultimately there's nothing you or I could do about that. 

Trust me, no anger or ill-nature intention from my posts :)

40 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Untrue. He wanted to stay.

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

Sigh.  

If that's your opinion re market value then that doesn't prove your point whatsoever. Your opinion has no base in reality of facts or knowledge of the situation, your opinion on the price of Barnes is in fact irrelevant because you opinion is misinformed like anyone who isn't part of the negotiations directly. 

We don't know what Harvey wanted to do he hasn't said anything on that matter. Without saying he was pushing for a move please show me the evidence that Harvey has publicly confirmed he wanted to stay and that somehow strengthened out position to get as higher amount.   

Don't know why supporters complain about transfer fees "It's not enough" etc, it's not your money who cares? It's a club decision. We need money for the rebuild, pointless keeping Barnes and not strengthening in the positions we need to strengthen.

1 minute ago, Lesta Legend said:

If that's your opinion re market value then that doesn't prove your point whatsoever. Your opinion has no base in reality of facts or knowledge of the situation, your opinion on the price of Barnes is in fact irrelevant because you opinion is misinformed like anyone who isn't part of the negotiations directly. 

We don't know what Harvey wanted to do he hasn't said anything on that matter. Without saying he was pushing for a move please show me the evidence that Harvey has publicly confirmed he wanted to stay and that somehow strengthened out position to get as higher amount.   

I never said he wanted to stay. 

I did however say that he has two years left on his contract and that I would be surprised if he threw a Fofana-esque tantrum.  

You can have an opinion on the fee if you want.  I reckon it is terrible, based on fees for lesser players and based on the value of PL status to the club and  the impact he would likely make in this division.   I did say that it was my opinion.  If you disagree, then fine.

Just now, StanSP said:

Any link to this? Or someone on here? 

Genuinely missed this, not being awkward! 

A friend of mine who knows the family and has spoken to them in the past week. But it has also been reported elsewhere. As soon as we got relegated, Barnes knew the club wanted to sell him. His preference was to stay and help us get back up, but the club needs to get in line with FFP as well as recruit for a number of positions, so he’s been persuaded to leave. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Just now, splinterdream said:

This isn't uncommon is it, happened to Piper 

Exactly. And Piper himself has also hinted that the same thing is happening to Barnes, so I think he also knows what’s gone on. I suspect most of the journos who follow the club closely are aware of it.

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

Barnes was a better player than both Guppy and Glover if we’re honest.  People really underrate the quality of player we’ve had over the past 8 or 9 years and that it was largely a level above the MON and Bloomfield teams bar one or two players. I get people have nostalgia and romanticise players they grew up with but when you take a step back and try to look objectively, you have to say Barnes was the best of the 3.

hmm. 

I think Guppy and Barnes are totally different type of players so it’s hard to make that comparison/assumption. Guppy’s remit was to get the ball into the box. He had a peach of a left foot and is probably the best crosser of the ball I have ever seen  play for Leicester. And we played with big strong strikers  for that reason.

yet at the same time, no one can break into the box with a sublime 1-2 like Barnes can.

Barnes for the most part played wide left of a front 3 and Guppy was wide left of a 4-4-2. Barnes played a more advanced roll and can be classed as a forward, Guppy a midfielder ( winger)

so not an accurate comparison, imo

Edited by MPH

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

A friend of mine who knows the family and has spoken to them in the past week. But it has also been reported elsewhere. As soon as we got relegated, Barnes knew the club wanted to sell him. His preference was to stay and help us get back up, but the club needs to get in line with FFP as well as recruit for a number of positions, so he’s been persuaded to leave. 

What a joke. Surely just let the vast number of overpaid and uncommitted players go, even if under value. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We don’t need to get in line for FFP do we? We were trying to get under the 85% UEFA one but obviously no chance of that being a problem for a few seasons anyway.

Just now, when_you're_smiling said:

We don’t need to get in line for FFP do we? We were trying to get under the 85% UEFA one but obviously no chance of that being a problem for a few seasons anyway.

The Championship has strict rules too.