Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Barnes was a better player than both Guppy and Glover if we’re honest.  People really underrate the quality of player we’ve had over the past 8 or 9 years and that it was largely a level above the MON and Bloomfield teams bar one or two players. I get people have nostalgia and romanticise players they grew up with but when you take a step back and try to look objectively, you have to say Barnes was the best of the 3.

Plus he is the only player who has had every match he's played in available to watch. The others would have had poor performances ignored because few people saw it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Barnes was a better player than both Guppy and Glover if we’re honest.  People really underrate the quality of player we’ve had over the past 8 or 9 years and that it was largely a level above the MON and Bloomfield teams bar one or two players. I get people have nostalgia and romanticise players they grew up with but when you take a step back and try to look objectively, you have to say Barnes was the best of the 3.

Put a striker of Vardy's quality over the 8 or 9 years in MON's  team and that level would be alot closer. 

Not sure about Broomfield as I wasn't  born then 😅

15 minutes ago, murphy said:

Big mistake this.  £35m is not enough for a goal scoring winger like Barnes with two years left on his contract.  Nowhere near.

If we have any ambitions of going straight back up, which is far more lucrative, we should keep him like Villa kept Grealish when they went down.  Barnes would tear up this league.

If we have ambitions of going straight back up, we need a squad of players who want to be here. 

I don't know what's in the lads head but IF he doesn't, then I'd rather have the £35m. I'm sure the club know more about what he wants to do. 

We saw last year first hand with Youri that carrying players that aren't fully committed doesn't work. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Put a striker of Vardy's quality over the 8 or 9 years in MON's  team and that level would be alot closer. 

Broomfield loved a good sweeper….

mind you our manager Bloomfield had various thoughts over G.Cross,( probably the first Mr Leicester) not too sure

if Vardy & Mahrez suddenly turned up..Worthington,Weller,Garland,Earle,Glover were

loved by management and fans alike..

Different time,different Skill sets in the 2 teams.And must be said a different mental-hardness required back then..one can’t measure that or really compare and opinionate on.All took hard knocks and could ride them,or be taken out by them.

Vardy most times could avoid the Big Bangs, he was too quick off the mark.

41 minutes ago, Scotch said:

If we have ambitions of going straight back up, we need a squad of players who want to be here. 

I don't know what's in the lads head but IF he doesn't, then I'd rather have the £35m. I'm sure the club know more about what he wants to do. 

We saw last year first hand with Youri that carrying players that aren't fully committed doesn't work. 

I take your point.  A major reason for our demise was a group of players with an eye on the exit imo but Barnes wasn't one of those. 

He may fancy a dash at the CL but he does have two years left on his contract, he is a local lad and a City fan and has been at the club since he was a lad.  The parallels with Grealish at Villa are obvious and if they could do it, why couldn't we?   I don't think it would be too much of a hard sell to ask another year.  If he kicks off (I don't think he would) then sell.

I don't think there is another player from the rest of last year's mob, that let us down so badly, that I would be bothered about keeping.

Edited by murphy

Just now, murphy said:

I take your point.  A major reason for our demise was a group of players with an eye on the exit imo but Barnes wasn't one of those. 

He may fancy a dash at the CL but he does have two years left on his contract, he is a local lad and a City fan and has been at the club since he was a lad.  I don't think it would be too much of a hard sell to ask another year.  If he kicks off (I don't think he would) then sell.

But what happens if we DON'T go straight back up after asking him for one more year? 

Now we have a player who we've made a deal with that he can go but now he only has a year left.... that £35m is long gone. We would be looking at £20m.... and be lucky to get that. 

Just now, Scotch said:

But what happens if we DON'T go straight back up after asking him for one more year? 

Now we have a player who we've made a deal with that he can go but now he only has a year left.... that £35m is long gone. We would be looking at £20m.... and be lucky to get that. 

Yes, its a gamble, but a sensible one.  We stand to gain much more than we stand to lose.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Big mistake this.  £35m is not enough for a goal scoring winger like Barnes with two years left on his contract.  Nowhere near.

If we have any ambitions of going straight back up, which is far more lucrative, we should keep him like Villa kept Grealish when they went down.  Barnes would tear up this league.

Should have been £60 million plus. It’s a joke frankly. Hope we spend what money we can out of it wisely. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

mind you our manager Bloomfield had various thoughts over G.Cross,( probably the first Mr Leicester) not too sure

if Vardy & Mahrez suddenly turned up..Worthington,Weller,Garland,Earle,Glover were

Different time,different Skill sets in the 2 teams.And must be said a different mental-hardness required back then..one can’t measure that or really compare and opinionate on.All took hard knocks and could ride them,or be taken out by them.

Fortunately we have videos of many old matches and Vardy , though exceptionally quick at his peak , was no quicker than a number of players of the past. Even with us , for a while  , Sinclair was also extremely fast.

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Vardy and Mahrez into Bloomfields team would have made us Champions!

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Yes, its a gamble, but a sensible one.  We stand to gain much more than we stand to lose.  

Exactly. We already needed to add another winger and now we need to add two. We also haven’t recruited well in forward areas for a long time. Not sure the extent to which wages are an issue but I’d first be looking at offloading Soumare, Daka, and Nacho (1 year left) if the latter wants to leave.

£38m for a 25 year old English winger, with two years on his contract, with the ability to get well into double digits for goal contributions each season is cheap imo. Could easily imagine this rising to £50m if we were still premier league or perhaps more. He has limitations to his game but no reason why he couldn’t improve further under the right coach. 

If his head wasn’t here at all then I guess it makes more sense but it is otherwise bad business. He’s gets goals in the prem and we already know he can boss the championship. A little worrying given that it’s already a weak area of the pitch for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Should have been £60 million plus. It’s a joke frankly. Hope we spend what money we can out of it wisely. 

Would have been if we were still in the Premier league, but we're not and our ability to negotiate reduces with that fact.

Take Caicedo at Brighton for example. They want around £80m for him, if they get relegated then he goes for half that, easy.

It just is what it is. In our situation we can't risk keeping hold of him, on whatever wages he's on in case we don't go up. A year from now if we're still stuck in this league, that £35m is now £15m and we're a year worse off paying £50k a week (making figures up here) 

I don't for 1 second think we're up the creek financially but it makes no business sense to keep players like him with these sorts of offers on the table. Shame to see him go because I do believe he'd tear up the championship but it's a risk we can't take

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Vardy and Mahrez into Bloomfields team would have made us Champions!

It’s like marmite,or a pantomime…” oh yes he would” …” oh no he won’t „

opposition must be taken into account..some Teams had more players who would target certain opposition technical players

and today they wouldn’t get away with it..

but a

Vardy Worthington

Glover.                                 Mahrez

Weller.   Birchenall/Sammels/Kember

Rofe.                                  whitworth

Cross Sjoberg

Wallington/Shilton

does get the taste buds tingling.

Throw in the 7 subs from today.but with a mix from then and title until now.

Blockley..Kante..any of those from the above  chosen midfield.plus any one can think of

A fair top squad

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, los dedos said:

...both Guppy and Glover played as outright Wingers!!!

Barnes cannot do what they both could. The style of football has changed and we are attempting to compare different eras, but it does not work. The quality of defending and the robust tackling was different in those days, the likelihood would be Barnes would be reluctant to engage in too many challenges. He is easy to play against, show him down the line and he is nullified, one two's allow him to get around the back of you and he can finish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, murphy said:

we should keep him

Keep a player that doesn't want to be here? 

Hmm. 

Grealish was at a different stage of his career than Barnes is with us. 

Also, selling Barnes doesn't equate to the club not having ambition of going straight back up. Of course the club has that ambition. But I'd rather have players here that want to commit to the club and are happy here. We suffered from too many players pissing about with their contracts last season and not wanting to commit to the club because they were eyeing their next move. For all we know, if Barnes stayed and was sold next summer, we may not have got as much as £35m as there'd only be one year left... 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hmm. 

Also, selling Barnes doesn't equate to the club not having ambition of going straight back up. Of course the club has that ambition. But I'd rather have players here that want to commit to the club and are happy here. We suffered from too many players pissing about with their contracts last season and not wanting to commit to the club because they were eyeing their next move. For all we know, if Barnes stayed and was sold next summer, we may not have got as much as £35m as there'd only be one year left... 

I agree Stanley 👍

38 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...both Guppy and Glover played as outright Wingers!!!

Barnes cannot do what they both could. The style of football has changed and we are attempting to compare different eras, but it does not work. The quality of defending and the robust tackling was different in those days, the likelihood would be Barnes would be reluctant to engage in too many challenges. He is easy to play against, show him down the line and he is nullified, one two's allow him to get around the back of you and he can finish.

Don’t know about Glover but didn’t Guppy play wing back not as an outright winger?

Fantastic crosser of the ball and had Walsh, Heskey, Elliott to aim for, Barnes plays often just with a solitary small striker in the box.

As you say different eras but I think we do tend to over complicate things nowadays 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Don’t know about Glover but didn’t Guppy play wing back not as an outright winger?

Fantastic crosser of the ball and had Walsh, Heskey, Elliott to aim for, Barnes plays often just with a solitary small striker in the box.

As you say different eras but I think we do tend to over complicate things nowadays 

Yes, wing back but never had to get his shorts dirty, just put his foot in now and then, we invited crosses as we had three marvellous centre halves who swallowed them up, and Elliot could play out too of course. And not forgetting that strangely if you were left footed you played on the left , how odd! Jamie would’ve scored 30 a season with Guppy’s quality.

7 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

...he was involved down the left side as an LB, LM and predominantly a Left Winger!!!

52 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hmm. 

You don't think that Barnes' affinity for the club, having been here since childhood, counts for anything?

And you're happy for mega-rich Newcastle to have our pants down?  

As I have already said, keep him and we have a great chance of regaining the riches of the PL and if he did sulk/kick off, then sell.  I just don't think that he would.

If we sell Barnes and go up anyway, once we get there, we wouldn't be able to afford to buy a player of Barnes' quality.