Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Tielemans to Villa

If he goes to Villa it will be hard for him to claim that was his ambition and what he ran his contract down for.

I might be wrong and they might get into the top 4 and be in the CL etc but I don’t see Villa’s ceiling (in the timeframe Tielemans would likely be there) as being any higher than what he has already achieved with us. 

I suppose they might win the conference league so it’d be another trophy where we fell just short. That’d get them into the Europa League which he had two runs in with us.

It definitely would be an admission of his stock having fallen and the offers not being there.

• Like 2

The fact that Villa is the best he can do probably sheds some light on what the marketplace was for him last summer.

The club has got a lot of grief for not selling him and losing him for free - a £40m asset was quoted above - but if nobody above mid table Premier League wants him, I'm doubting there were actually too many offers last summer to pick and choose from...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I was about to blow up at you and then I remember coming on here and arguing that Jason Koumas was the best British midfielder of his generation and that Robert Earnshaw was the best striker in the Premier League. 

So I tell you what, you might be chatting absolute baws but I get you. 

I mean, I don't think that saying McGinn is better than a massively below par Tielemans is anywhere near that level of insanity to be honest! 😆 

I'd love to know the ins and outs of Villa's finances, they must have overspent millions on transfers and wages the last 2/3 seasons, if they take Tielemans on a free he'll be on more £ than he was here - no FFP concerns from their chairman no? Just us?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Just disappointing, mans left us on a free to join villa ffs. Talk about a sidewards step.

With the way the game is moving in England, players like Tielemans aren't as accommodated for, with the demand being for fast, strong midfielders as well as having the technical ability he has.

Would have thought Villa could do better tbh.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Looks almost certain to join Aston Villa at this point.

Imagine running your contract down to sign for them.

Set your sights low much, Youri?

...look at the signing-on bonus, a team challenging to play European football!!!

We are not missing out on much, only not getting a sale is the only downside to this.

14 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I mean, I don't think that saying McGinn is better than a massively below par Tielemans is anywhere near that level of insanity to be honest! 😆 

Aye but you wouldn't because of your bias obviously. The fact you can't see that Koumas was better than Youri and McAverage combined, squared, and that I can is sort of my point. 

You probably think Scott Mctominay is the next Lothar Matthaus. 

• Haha 1

WTF. 

Screw you Youri. You get what you deserve. Checking out for us half way through the season and not getting that big move your after. 

I fail to believe Villa would offer more than us wage wise. 

Completely changes my view on him if this comes off. I would initially of thought that the running down of his contract here was a clever way of ensuring you can choose a bigger club without restriction to whom you can join. If this is true then it turns out it was a lazy way of ensuring you can bag yourself the biggest package possible whilst still being comfortable at a middling club.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Aye but you wouldn't because of your bias obviously. The fact you can't see that Koumas was better than Youri and McAverage combined, squared, and that I can is sort of my point. 

You probably think Scott Mctominay is the next Lothar Matthaus. 

To be fair.... did Lothar Matthaus ever score a double against Spain? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bert said:

He’s not. Never has been and never will be. 

I mean he clearly has been better though over the past 18-24 months. Saying McGinn has never been better than Tielemans is a bit delusional tbh and the kind of reason we’re in this mess of judging players on past performances from years ago. McGinn is a pretty good steady but not amazing mid-table PL midfielder, Tielemans hasn’t played at that level for 2 seasons.

Tielemans at his peak was better than McGinn at his peak, but Tielemans of last season wouldn’t have got into Villa’s midfield and the fact we still held onto the idea that Tielemans is somehow the same quality player he was 2.5 years ago and so we still played him endlessly every week when he was putting crap performance in after crap performance was a big part of our downfall 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TommyK said:

WTF. 

Screw you Youri. You get what you deserve. Checking out for us half way through the season and not getting that big move your after. 

I fail to believe Villa would offer more than us wage wise. 

...I suspect the optics with him is, that other clubs see him as much better than we think he is!!!

23 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Completely changes my view on him if this comes off. I would initially of thought that the running down of his contract here was a clever way of ensuring you can choose a bigger club without restriction to whom you can join. If this is true then it turns out it was a lazy way of ensuring you can bag yourself the biggest package possible whilst still being comfortable at a middling club.

But surely he has lost a load of cash. If he'd signed a bigger deal a year ago...! Not sure Villa are going to be offering that much more than we did. 

I mentioned at the time that  his ‘goodbye’ video seemed more of a desperate please/ tarting himself about video so it was clear he didn’t have any decent offers.

I will say that Tielemens does seem like a settled family man also and maybe a Move to Villa will mean he doesn’t have to move his family much if at all. Had young kids doesn’t he?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

I don't think he has the legs for that Villa side. I don't get this move at all. He'd be better off moving to the continent. Italian or Spanish football would suit him down to the ground.

I like Diet Coke.  It’s definitely my preferred choice.  But if I’m desperate for a drink and there’s none of them around, I’d probably drink the Tesco diet cola instead. I might not enjoy it so much but it’s better then being thirsty.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I mean he clearly has been better though over the past 18-24 months. Saying McGinn has never been better than Tielemans is a bit delusional tbh and the kind of reason we’re in this mess of judging players on past performances from years ago. McGinn is a pretty good steady but not amazing mid-table PL midfielder, Tielemans hasn’t played at that level for 2 seasons.

Tielemans at his peak was better than McGinn at his peak, but Tielemans of last season wouldn’t have got into Villa’s midfield and the fact we still held onto the idea that Tielemans is somehow the same quality player he was 2.5 years ago and so we still played him endlessly every week when he was putting crap performance in after crap performance was a big part of our downfall 

One thing Scuttler McGinn has in adundance that Tielemans hasn’t got any of is a whole heap of shithousery. He moans constantly to the ref, fouls, dives, play acts. Horrible to watch but very effective for Villa.