Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If you look at the type of player Winks is, and who fits the profile, there aren't that many better options that a Championship club could target:

GcL09TM.png

f1IsVzx.png

L4BCXL3.png

Most of these players are deep-lying ball playing midfielders. I know we were heavily linked with Dahoud who signed for Brighton, we have basically got the Tesco Value Championship version.

Dahoud was free, I wonder what we'll end up paying for the Tesco Value version?

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Don't mean to cause offence but you lot rarely get it right with new signings. Almost every great signing we have made for the last 20 years has been an unknown or a risky one. Whenever it's marquee they tend to flop, bar the odd one. 

This would be a great signing at this level if he stays fit. I think if you are turning your nose up at Winks, you're going to need a reality check for some of the names we are linked with. 

Less of that positivity on here!!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He couldn't make an absolutely woeful spurs team. A team even we deservedly licked 4-1. 

I didn't know he had a spell at Sampdoria til today. They don't want him..And that says even more. Since when do Italian clubs turn down a cheapo deal? They are the football equivalent of Asians in the supermarket with 300 bog rolls squeezed into the trolley just coz they are on offer. 

Comon. You don't play 127 times for spurs if you as bad as being made out. Plus 10 caps for England. . . 

Maybe he has lost his way and needs some man managing but I'm sure he can do a Job in the championship. 

• Like 4

About to enter his prime as a central ball winning/playing midfielder (27 years old)  The way I expect we'll set up and play we need some experience and quality in this role.

One of the most important players Burnley signed into last seasons with VK as boss was Josh Cullen.  Just read what VK has said about him and his importance to the way the team ticked over last season.

Josh Cullen, ironically, also happens to be 27 years old.

• Like 1

On paper, it doesn't look like too bad a signing if the price is right. And we probably shouldn't be getting too proud about picking up players of that calibre.

I'll be interested to see, though, if it's indicative of our wider targets - and that's where I'd understand an eyebrow or two to be raised.

We had two stabs at promotion under this board. One of them saw us sign players with, between them, very little if any PL experience, fished from u-23s and lower league or FLC sides. That side nearly got us up in Year One, and succeeded in Year Two.

The other, previous, attempt saw us emphasise experience and perceived pedigree a lot more, with many high profile permanents and even more loanees. It gave us Schmeichel and Nugent, but also players (some of which were perfectly capable) like Davies, Yakubu, Abe, Kirkland, Ricardo, Bednar, Konchesky, Pantsil, Johnson, Fernandes, Vassell and Beckford. PL talent, supposedly. And that side played some nice football but never got close. So, with talk rife of nice football, loanees and a high profile, experienced lynchpin, I can understand if people worry that we might be going for the Sven model rather than the longer-term approach which followed (and worked).

But it's far too early to be sure of that. And besides, Sven also signed up-and-comers, while his successor would also get round (especially after promotion) to picking up players with a similar sort of profile to Winks.

40 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He couldn't make an absolutely woeful spurs team. A team even we deservedly licked 4-1. 

I didn't know he had a spell at Sampdoria til today. They don't want him..And that says even more. Since when do Italian clubs turn down a cheapo deal? They are the football equivalent of Asians in the supermarket with 300 bog rolls squeezed into the trolley just coz they are on offer. 

Where did Spurs finish? We are a championship club. 

Sampdoria can’t afford him.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

This is nonsense. He was injured for the first half of last year. Came into their side in the second half of the season and was their best player. Sampdoria fans liked him a lot and Serie A really suited him. Unfortunately they got relegated so they were never going to be able to keep him but it was a very good loan spell for Winks

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Dahoud was free, I wonder what we'll end up paying for the Tesco Value version?

Dahoud wouldn't come to a championship side, the Tesco Value version might...

• Like 1

The issue I have with this is he's apparently suited to a possession based approach and I just can't take anymore sideways passes and passing it backwards.

Plus every fan here will deduct his fee off the Maddison fee and workout the difference to see how much we've been done over.

• Like 1

Feels like a reversion to the Sven style strategy when he knew nothing about the division but had too much money so threw it at anyone he'd remotely heard of and put them on big wages. Most were overpaid shite but you'd get the occasional player who was miles too good for Championship level and Schmeichel and Nugent ended up being worth many times more for us than the total spending combined of all these players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

If you look at the type of player Winks is, and who fits the profile, there aren't that many better options that a Championship club could target:

GcL09TM.png

f1IsVzx.png

L4BCXL3.png

Most of these players are deep-lying ball playing midfielders. I know we were heavily linked with Dahoud who signed for Brighton, we have basically got the Tesco Value Championship version.

Did you just seriously, unironically, use FUT cards for player comparisons?

2 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

The issue I have with this is he's apparently suited to a possession based approach and I just can't take anymore sideways passes and passing it backwards.

Plus every fan here will deduct his fee off the Maddison fee and workout the difference to see how much we've been done over.

Whilst I agree and share your fears if it's like Bodgerball, you can still have possession football that both isn't consistently at a snails pace backwards and sideways, but can still be exciting. 

For example, the old Barcelona way with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets etc al, whilst most people raved about it, after a couple or three games, used to bore me to death. Personally, I preferred the old Ajax 'total football' way which, whilst it was still fairly possession based, it also had balls zipping over the top or through the channels with plenty of long range attempts on goal as well. Exciting stuff from what I remember. 

Of course with both, you had to have their particular players at those particular times to achieve it.

Likewise now, you couldn't really out Manchester City the Manchester City way without their, or even better players. However, if Maresca is able to harness some of the Manchester City ways and professionalism combined with also playing to the strengths of the players he actually has available to him,  then it all bodes well for me. The latter was something Rodgers seemed unable to grasp on his personal profile adventure. 

Maresca won't have had long with his eventual squad before the season starts so I'd forsee a work in progress up to Christmas and possibly a few necessary tweaks in January. To even make the play-offs this season would be an achievement perhaps. 

• Thanks 1

People seem to forget where we are, we have to shape accordingly.

I doubt anyone thought a average championship CB was going to end up a PL title winning captain.

Or a Villa or Stoke rejects would win the league.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1