Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

21 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

😂 some of the reactions in here. Harry Winks is a metronome footballer, he will recycle the ball, keep it moving and set the tempo and rhythm of the game. Enzo’s midfield set up requires 2 all action midfielders either side of a sitting midfielder who is comfortable at receiving and distributing the ball in tight spaces.

If Mendy was still under contract he would be right up Maresca’s street, as he’s gone we need a player to fill that role and let’s have it right Winks is still a good age at 27, has played international and Champions League football, he’s gonna give us some experience and guile in there. Yes he’s not particularly exciting but for a possession based side a player like him is crucial. Eventually the club/Enzo will look to Sammy Braybrooke to fill that role but we need someone for him to shadow and we could do a damn sight worse than Winks. 

Spot on! Here’s a video of Winks demonstrating exactly this:

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's hope this is just a loan deal but with a year left on his £50k a week contract, it'll be a 4 year deal on a very competitive salary that's for sure.

I really wanted to see a statement of intent that we were serious about our rebuild, learn from.past failings. We need players who don't see Leicester as a step down or are only coming here because we are extremely generous in the wages we pay.

This is not a good sign.

Might be the case, I try to be positive about things from the outset. 

Hopefully he'll look at the other way that he has something to prove.

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I think it's more over the years, I've had a smug chuckle at the likes of Norwich signing little boys like Billy Gilmore on the basis of a few games for Chelsea and thinking the step down would be the making of him. It never works. It's just such a boringly predictable equation to make. 

Nearly good enough for Spurs = Must be good enough for championship. 

Is that the billy Gilmore who was brilliant for Brighton at the back end of last season you mean?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

John Fleck was a defensive midfielder for Sheff Utd, Josh Cullen for Burnley and I'd say both are similar players to Winks. 

Puts it into context, doesn't it! We need to set up to get out of the league we're in.

I think a lot of posters on here, are far too used to the type of player we've seen at out club for the past 7 years.

Harry Winks would be a good addition for any club finding their selves in our predicament.

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

😂 some of the reactions in here. Harry Winks is a metronome footballer, he will recycle the ball, keep it moving and set the tempo and rhythm of the game. Enzo’s midfield set up requires 2 all action midfielders either side of a sitting midfielder who is comfortable at receiving and distributing the ball in tight spaces.

If Mendy was still under contract he would be right up Maresca’s street, as he’s gone we need a player to fill that role and let’s have it right Winks is still a good age at 27, has played international and Champions League football, he’s gonna give us some experience and guile in there. Yes he’s not particularly exciting but for a possession based side a player like him is crucial. Eventually the club/Enzo will look to Sammy Braybrooke to fill that role but we need someone for him to shadow and we could do a damn sight worse than Winks. 

You make a compelling argument. I don’t mind this, but it’s about as beige of a signing as is possible. Good for the level we are at. 

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

as you’re clearly sitting in the boardroom, have the biscuits been downgraded since relegation ???

including players as part of a deal has dropped off over the years - transfers are already v complex and adding more uncertainty doesn’t help.  

Firstly, I’m on a calorie count for the summer so any reference to biscuits is just plain insulting while I munch on this carrot that YouTube told me was “just like a pack of crisps” without the salt. YouTube lied. 

Secondly, what exactly are you defending ? We’ve had months of questionable decisions. We’ve also been here before (Ake/Maguire, Fofana/Faes). When applying the benefit of doubt, past experiences play an important part.  The criticism is warranted - open your eyes man. 

But, let’s see where we are at the end of this deal. I bet I’m closer to the truth but yay, Rudkin power! 

Like I said, I like Winks. I think it will prove to be a good deal for us. The fact it’s separate to Maddison is purely to benefit Spurs. A combination of poor decisions is the reason we are where we are. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's hope this is just a loan deal but with a year left on his £50k a week contract, it'll be a 4 year deal on a very competitive salary that's for sure.

I really wanted to see a statement of intent that we were serious about our rebuild, learn from.past failings. We need players who don't see Leicester as a step down or are only coming here because we are extremely generous in the wages we pay.

This is not a good sign.

I get where you're coming from, but I think this post sums it up:

6 minutes ago, teblin said:

Times I've seen him he hasn't been awful. Just steady but that is a premier league level not the championship.

Not Inspiring, but this could be a bit like Matt Oakley in the League 1 season.

The Matt Oakley comparison is pretty apt to me.

• Like 1

He's basically Mendy. A player that never let us down, pretty boring but he kept the ball, passed it around and we got at least a 6 from him each game. Last season we kept seeing 4's while he sat on the bench. 

Terrible PR for your first signing but he is but one type of player the club have to sign whether people like that or not. One would hope the club dont agree to a huge contract that puts us up shut creek when or if we want to move him on. 

Another visual as to where we have fallen as a club. But a player we need never the less. I really hope that the club get some exciting young blood in with edge, hunger and speed. 

I seem to be in the minority that thinks he’ll be a solid pick up…. I’ve got a feeling we’ll see a lot of kids coming through the door so I’m fine with an older head that should boss it in the championship 👀

All comes down to hunger which is difficult to measure 

Can’t help but feel there’s better value out there.  

It gets everyone worried because this is the sort lazy signing we’ve made in the last three year. The fact he couldn’t make an impact at a very bad Sampdoria team doesn’t speak great. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2