Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

52 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Interesting that on training pics the coaches seem to be playing active roles in drills, wonder what their instruction is as it looks like they are shadowing players/pressing them? 

...just goes to show what an easy ride the previous regime had!!!

Perhaps Maresca is indoctrinating his backroom team into his style of play and hoping to get the trickle-down effect. I imagine if Andy King is looking for a coaching role, now would be a good time to come in and take over the U21s, using Maresca's approach and style of play. It is a good place to start.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...just goes to show what an easy ride the previous regime had!!!

Perhaps Maresca is indoctrinating his backroom team into his style of play and hoping to get the trickle-down effect. I imagine if Andy King is looking for a coaching role, now would be a good time to come in and take over the U21s, using Maresca's approach and style of play. It is a good place to start.

Signed new deal at Bristol I think. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

I'd recommend listening to the latest BBC Radio Leicester podcast.

Interview with Guillem Balague and so much to get excited about, some key points:

1. Maresca had a few choices about where to join but chose Leicester. He's really impressed by Seagrave and the club infrastructure, and the board have entrusted him to put his stamp on the club. 

2. While the coaches have been impressed with how quickly the players have taken to the new style of playing (something @StriderHiryu highlighted), it's just the start - things like the 4-3-3 into 3-4-2-1 will be less obvious, and the players will adapt into more positions and tactics. 

3. Although more players will leave, some players who wanted to leave have changed their mind having worked with Maresca and now want to stay. I wonder if Ricardo is one of them? He's interviewed after the segment with Balague and sounded happy about the new style of play and his role. 

4. Big recruitment focus is now on wingers. He expects the club are looking at 2, if not 3 wingers - that doesn't include Mavididi. 

5. People need to be patient. He hasn't got the players he wants yet, he'll have the squad closer to his vision by the end of the transfer window and the playing style will get more nuanced and diverse. 

There's other points I've not covered but I felt optimistic. Appreciate a lot of fans are unhappy with the board and rightly so for the debacle of last season, but looks like they've making strides towards rectifying it with attracting Maresca and the potential he brings. 

Thanks for taking the trouble to put together that precis.  Positive signs.    Feel more optimistic now;.

• Like 2

Remember, Maresca's "tactics" were a failure at Parma so any rigid idea of how we will play is probably wrong. The opposition will quickly work it out and attempt to neutralise it. Results will depend on having better quality players who put in the 100% percent effort we need - match in match out.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Remember, Maresca's "tactics" were a failure at Parma so any rigid idea of how we will play is probably wrong. The opposition will quickly work it out and attempt to neutralise it. Results will depend on having better quality players who put in the 100% percent effort we need - match in match out.

...his Parma exploits were not a failure, it was a solid base that he was looking to build on!!!

Parma however expected them to have been pushing for promotion immediately and pulled the plug. It was not something that Maresca was expecting, instant promotion was not something that was agreed.

We may very well experience the same bedding in process, and results may just slide away on the wrong side, but his process was not a failure, he needed time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...his Parma exploits were not a failure, it was a solid base that he was looking to build on!!!

Parma however expected them to have been pushing for promotion immediately and pulled the plug. It was not something that Maresca was expecting, instant promotion was not something that was agreed.

We may very well experience the same bedding in process, and results may just slide away on the wrong side, but his process was not a failure, he needed time.

I entirely agree with you and I am sure the club will be patient .On here however , not so much. A couple of losses in a row and predictably some on here will be at his throat. A lot of managers though think they have got the answers but very few have , we shall see , but I am expecting it to be tough going , at least to start with.

Will we play with a traditional LWB? Against Northampton we started with two wing backs but Castagne wasn't bombing down the left he was creating overloads on the right with Praet.

I'm guessing Madividi will play in Wanya's position and the plan is to overload the right flank, which will hopefully create space for Madividi on the left to exploit when we switch the play.

Edited by Shane

Here's an example of Man City pulling off a cutback. This one is pretty skilled because of Mahrez's pass, but the point is that the finisher, Bernardo in this case, has a pretty easy job. Get to the ball first and pass it into the back of the net! I play football myself and also play as a CM. I am an awful footballer, but strangely in 11 a side I score a decent amount of goals, and they are all like this. Just like I hope Ndidi will be, I am a tap-in merchant!

Point is if you setup the system correctly, you can make this type of chance very frequently. Burnley fans will tell you they scored tons of goals like this under Kompany last season, so expect to see our fair share too.

cutback.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

@Finnegan@kingfox@moore_94

Wanted to point you in the direction of this awesome Chrome / Firefox Extension I found:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/fbcharts/

It gives you radial charts of players on FB Ref like this:

Spcn7R8.png

Even better, you can use it to compare players, and it makes things much clearer to analyse.

vZu9KD9.png

Here are comparisons between Mavididi and Barnes via radials, and here we see clearly all of the points that Finnegan made, about Mavididi being quite similar with regard to Barnes, but whilst having scored fewer goals, he does more work defensively and is much better at taking a man on rather than always relying on the one-two to get a goal-scoring attempt.

I thought about putting this in the Transfer forums, but think it might be more applicable here as we might want to compare our own players between one another, like this:

YpFABTY.png

The difference between Ndidi and Winks couldn't be more clear! Ndidi is great at winning the ball back, but does sod all with it, other than play it back to the goalkeeper. Whereas Winks is pretty bad at tackling, but on the ball knows how to play.

See you in a few hours, going to go looking at hundreds of players with this lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

See you in a few hours, going to go looking at hundreds of players with this lol

Quite frankly, if I don't see a full and comprehensive report on all of the problem positions the club needs with radials and eye-test analysis by tomorrow morning, I won't be angry, I will just be disappointed.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

@Finnegan@kingfox@moore_94

Wanted to point you in the direction of this awesome Chrome / Firefox Extension I found:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fbcharts/ogkjijheeoanpdacakgofneeagpakbnb?hl=en-GB

Spcn7R8.png

Even better, you can use it to compare players, and it makes things much clearer to analyse.

vZu9KD9.png

Here are comparisons between Mavididi and Barnes via radials, and here we see clearly all of the points that Finnegan made, about Mavididi being quite similar with regard to Barnes, but whilst having scored fewer goals, he does more work defensively and is much better at taking a man on rather than always relying on the one-two to get a goal-scoring attempt.

I thought about putting this in the Transfer forums, but think it might be more applicable here as we might want to compare our own players between one another, like this:

YpFABTY.png

The difference between Ndidi and Winks couldn't be more clear! Ndidi is great at winning the ball back, but does sod all with it, other than play it back to the goalkeeper. Whereas Winks is pretty bad at tackling, but on the ball knows how to play.

This looks really nice. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

FWD it to Rudders, though undoubtedly anything to do with transfers seems to land in his spam folder

Too many pretty colours and words in place for Rudkin, I am afraid it would only scare him away from his computer for a few more days

Edited by moore_94
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

To many pretty colours and words in place for Rudkin, I am afraid it would only scare him away from his computer for a few more days

image.png.816d8c0eea046f7a1bade3db7b504404.png

Who's that Brazilian fella, maybe we should give him a go

- John Rudkin

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

@Finnegan@kingfox@moore_94 @Ric Flair

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fbcharts/ogkjijheeoanpdacakgofneeagpakbnb?hl=en-GB

(Note: you may have to go to your extensions manager and manually allow it to always have permissions on FBRef, I needed to do this to get it to work properly)

Spcn7R8.png

vZu9KD9.png

YpFABTY.png

If only we could combine them, but then they wouldn't be playing for us :P :( 

10 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

FWD it to Rudders, though undoubtedly anything to do with transfers seems to land in his spam folder

Maybe Martyn Glover takes it seriously though!

In fact I think both he and the data team DO take it very seriously indeed. Let's compare Kristiansen to Thomas:

n9AoHRA.png

We were struggling defensively, especially at set-pieces, so look at those aerial won statistics, as well as tackles. That's why we signed him.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

@Finnegan@kingfox@moore_94 @Ric Flair

(Note: you may have to go to your extensions manager and manually allow it to always have permissions on FBRef, I needed to do this to get it to work properly)

Spcn7R8.png

vZu9KD9.png

YpFABTY.png

Finners & myself mentioned in the same post 😲 That wouldn’t have happened on this forum between the years of 2012-2015 :D

Jokes aside, you need to go looking for radial charts like this via WyScout, they are far more broader than FBRef.  

• Thanks 1