Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Which pub have you spent the most money in?

Thinking about it it's probably mostly Sheffield as I was there at uni. Royal Standard, Dev Cat, Red Deer probably. Then maybe Harp & John Russell in London making up the top 5. Actually the Harp is almost certainly no. 1 considering a pint there now costs nearly three times more than pints when I was in Shef. 

26 minutes ago, oakman said:

Merry Monk in Oakham back in the day. Now it would be between The Lamb and The Rugby Tavern in Holborn.

Go to the Lamb quite a lot and one visit there usually costs about the same as 3 back home.

Is the Rugby Tavern still open? 

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

Go to the Lamb quite a lot and one visit there usually costs about the same as 3 back home.

Is the Rugby Tavern still open? 

Shocking how expensive it is down here.

Rugby is reopening in about 2 weeks. The refurb took far longer than planned as squatters took up residence in the New Year and it took the owners a while to get them out.

• Like 1

Moved around quite a bit so very difficult question. Probably somewhere like The Golden Fleece in the City of London in terms of pubs mainly because the crowds I was with gravitated there. If considering clubs or pub/clubs it gets a bit more difficult.

Edited by Nalis

4 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Thringstone. It's my nearest pub not including rangers club.

Such a shame that's all thats left now, used to be the Queens Head, Rose and Crown and the Fox and Goose all within a short walk

Is the Bulls head still going?

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Probably the loaded dog, late teens and early 20s I was in there for quids every week. 

If you were smart, you'd have found a quids night on at different Scream pubs 3 nights a week lol

We always used to debate if we should go, but always came to the conclusion that it was cheaper than staying in!

• Like 1

Would have been the salmon if the new landlord had not come in, that was the best pub in Leicester between 2019-2022 and I tell Alex that every time I see him. Unfortunately by default of living in Western Park and having the Tudor and Westcotes close, plus the previous landlord at the black horse being grumpy, I’d have to say soar point. 

6 hours ago, Adster said:

Hansom Cab. Hinckley local init. 

The Weavers for me. Every City PL game (even on the dodgy/illegal stream) and after Monday's 5 a side with mates every week for at least 10 years.

The independent landlord has now moved on and Marston's have taken it on but it's still a good, proper town/local pub.

Edited by Parafox

4 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Such a shame that's all thats left now, used to be the Queens Head, Rose and Crown and the Fox and Goose all within a short walk

Is the Bulls head still going?

I've heard about all of them before I moved this way. Rose and crown would've been the perfect local but then it does make a useful co op atleast... Bulls head still going yeah, it serves a purpose but it's not the best. George and Dragon is decent for food and if the weather is decent for the outside area.

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

Would have been the salmon if the new landlord had not come in, that was the best pub in Leicester between 2019-2022 and I tell Alex that every time I see him. Unfortunately by default of living in Western Park and having the Tudor and Westcotes close, plus the previous landlord at the black horse being grumpy, I’d have to say soar point. 

I grew up near Tudor Road and I really wish I'd have been of age to experience the Tudor as a proper local. It's crazy to think a pub that close to so many homes didn't survive.

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I know I'm supposed to give some hipster answer here. 

But I'm pretty sure it must actually be the Blackbird, as harrowing as that is. 

My local which is a sad state of affairs. Don’t go in often and usually regret it based on sone of the clientele (hope not you) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

If you were smart, you'd have found a quids night on at different Scream pubs 3 nights a week lol

We always used to debate if we should go, but always came to the conclusion that it was cheaper than staying in!

Oh aye I went loaded boat (dry dock as it was more commonly known) many a week as well. 

10 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I grew up near Tudor Road and I really wish I'd have been of age to experience the Tudor as a proper local. It's crazy to think a pub that close to so many homes didn't survive.

Yea I never really got to experience them properly either. It’s the changing demographic that has closed those pubs most likely. Studentification is a different type of gentrification, the area has a lot of students in now and other communities who may not use the pub. I don’t believe those types of pubs would have appealed to students either. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 15:29, Patrick said:

It's got to be the Footage in Manchester when I was at Uni up there, big studenty pub right opposite the main MMU campus.

Scream pub in an old cinema? 

Used to be a cracking little boozer around the corner from there - lass o gowrie.

Sure there was another place on grosvenor srreet oppo the footage but i cant remember its name.

• Like 1