Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Tom Cannon officially signs!

1 minute ago, ronnup said:

Tbf...the system isn't the problem. We've made the chances. We've just not taken them 

It would matter if we created chances or not Enzo still would change it 😂 

Is he injured?

If not what's the lad gotta do? Not even making the bench now.

Meanwhile Daka's spooning chances left, right and center.

Let's be honest whether he's injured or not he'd still not be getting a sniff.

£8m on Cannon, £8m on Coady, not even playing them and we wonder how we're failing FFP. 

Just now, Matt said:

Is he injured?

£8m on Cannon, £8m on Coady, not even playing them and we wonder how we're failing FFP. 

He’s injured.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Is he injured?

His signing does look more strange with time, based on our set-up around one striker and limited opportunities.

Appreciate Enzo may have thought Daka was on the way out before the Summer window closed but even then with Vards and Nacho it feels we have too many numbers.

I could be wrong but I think he's a 2 up front type striker (like most of the strikers we sign) and therefore unsuitable under the last few regimes. 

He played in a front two at Preston where he did really well and I think his lack of explosive pace may hamper him in our current system, as does Iheanacho. 

He's a really good finisher and is an intelligent player so there's plenty to his game that should make him an asset but one I'm left scratching my head why we signed him for Maresca's style of football.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I could be wrong but I think he's a 2 up front type striker (like most of the strikers we sign) and therefore unsuitable under the last few regimes. 

He played in a front two at Preston where he did really well and I think his lack of explosive pace may hamper him in our current system, as does Iheanacho. 

He's a really good finisher and is an intelligent player so there's plenty to his game that should make him an asset but one I'm left scratching my head why we signed him for Maresca's style of football.

And this i where my confusion stems from when I say there's valid reasoning to suggest the powers that be want to play possession based, tippy tappy, play out from the back, by instruction and the appointments of Puel, Rodgers, Maresca, yet, we still continually sign players suited to the opposite of that and wonder why it doesn't work out either way.

It doesn't make sense.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think we signed him with a view to the future, come the summer it’s highly likely Kel’s will move on, Vards could retire and if we get an acceptable offer for Daka I think we would accept. It was now or never to sign Cannon when we did, next season I believe he will flourish and he will prove to be an absolute bargain and a real piece of astute business. 

I actually think in the games he has played he looks the most natural striker for this style. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

His hold up play and strength on the ball are key to his game and that's perfect for this system.

He's the link between the lines when he comes short and links play well with his back to the goal.

With more game time and experience he is the perfect 9 in this system. 

Great minds 😂

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

And this i where my confusion stems from when I say there's valid reasoning to suggest the powers that be want to play possession based, tippy tappy, play out from the back, by instruction and the appointments of Puel, Rodgers, Maresca, yet, we still continually sign players suited to the opposite of that and wonder why it doesn't work out either way.

It doesn't make sense.

In the process, wasted £15m on two players in particular this summer. 

• Like 1

In the short time I've seen him he's looked very assured in front of goal, and more importantly he often takes the shot early which catches the opposition out - he's had a few where he takes it first time on the turn and it's resulted in goals, blocks or the ball falling to others to net.

I don't think a lack of pace is an issue in the varied system we play, if I have one criticism it'd be that his positioning seems hit and miss at the moment. But when he gets on the ball I've liked what I've seen.

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You are right, he played off the shoulder with Troy Parrott dropping deeper.

Of all the strikers we’ve had recently I do feel he’s the one who maybe could play by himself. He seems very well rounded. 

Guest leatherhead32
1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Is he back from injury yet?? 

:fc:  lets hope so mate.

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

His hold up play and strength on the ball are key to his game and that's perfect for this system.

He's the link between the lines when he comes short and links play well with his back to the goal.

With more game time and experience he is the perfect 9 in this system. 

Quite possibly, I don't think he's thst strong in any of those areas of his game yet in this system but quite possibly why he looked more effective at Preston where he was behind their striker in a front two.

I'd like to see him as our 9 when Ndidi is back to full fitness and there's a lot more movement from the two 8's and then the wingers as well. Should make it all more fluid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

In the process, wasted £15m on two players in particular this summer. 

When you have a good season (we have on the whole) it always appears you've wasted money on a signing or 2 because you can only pick 11. Coady might have looked a better signing had Vestergaard not done his Lazarus act.

I think Cannon was signed as Afcon cover and as a long term replacement for Vardy.

We’re in the business end of the season. He was signed to replace Daka. The coaches see all strikers in training every day. If Everton prefer to keep / play Beto instead of Cannon then that may indicate the level he’s at. Vardy, Ihenancho and Daka are all better than Beto