Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Tom Cannon officially signs!

5 hours ago, JimmyC74 said:

His signing does look more strange with time, based on our set-up around one striker and limited opportunities.

Appreciate Enzo may have thought Daka was on the way out before the Summer window closed but even then with Vards and Nacho it feels we have too many numbers.

We'd have gone into the season with Vardy, Nacho and Daka. One nearly left in August, 2 were going to AFCON leaving us with one 37yo striker for January. As it happened Vardy and Nacho were injured in December anyway.

Other clubs were interested in Cannon and if we'd wanted him later on he'd have cost more than getting him from Everton's u23s. It could be that by July he's our ONLY striker and the 6m or whatever we paid will be good business.

Shame he's not had a bit more game time but he was always going to be one for the future with Vards and Kel out of contract at the end of this year. He was never that likely to be leading the line for an extended period imo.

Not sure why anyone would suggest buying him was a waste of money - when our transfer strategy was being lauded, it was because we were being proactive about buying younger players with the anticipation they would come into their role in a season or so into their time with us when we sold someone else.

Anyone know what's up with Tom? I thought he was fit and available again. He seems to be 4th choice, which seems a bit harsh given how he's performed when he's actually been given a chance. I think I'd personally be rotating him with Vardy and Daka at the moment.

5 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Anyone know what's up with Tom?

I think what's up with the club is a better question, spending £7 million on an average championship striker nowhere close to our other 3 when we were in financial ruin.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Anyone know what's up with Tom? I thought he was fit and available again. He seems to be 4th choice, which seems a bit harsh given how he's performed when he's actually been given a chance. I think I'd personally be rotating him with Vardy and Daka at the moment.

Supposedly he is now fit, maybe not match fit, but think reality is he is fourth in the pecking order.

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Absolutely mystifying wasn't it?

Even more mystifying is the fact it was from Everton, already in a mess and we were looking to sue etc, then we go and help them out with 7 million profit on an academy player 🤔 and not forgetting he was injured 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I think what's up with the club is a better question, spending £7 million on an average championship striker nowhere close to our other 3 when we were in financial ruin.

A strange signing for sure but 'nowhere close' to the others is nonsense. Did really well when he played.

Key thing is that having Daka, Vardy and Cannon as your options is pointless as they're all the same type of striker. No matter how crap Iheanacho is playing, he has to be on the bench because he offers something different and can allow a change of system/game plan

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

How do you know he’s an average championship striker? He’s hardly played 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

Averages a goal every 208 minutes, roughly 1 every 2.3 games in the Championship.

That's rought 20 goals if he plays every game.

At 21 that's pretty decent ratio.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

A strange signing for sure but 'nowhere close' to the others is nonsense. Did really well when he played.

Key thing is that having Daka, Vardy and Cannon as your options is pointless as they're all the same type of striker. No matter how crap Iheanacho is playing, he has to be on the bench because he offers something different and can allow a change of system/game plan

Change the system??

Wash your mouth out sir!

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Averages a goal every 208 minutes, roughly 1 every 2.3 games in the Championship.

That's rought 20 goals if he plays every game.

At 21 that's pretty decent ratio.

For Preston, the sort of team he should get a loan at next season to get a full season at this level. He's not quick enough pace wise or in the press for us, we need a mobile number 9.

I've had that norris from thesecondtier podcast dig up a bookmarked tweet of mine where I questioned their stance in the summer that Ellis Simms was a bargain at £8m but Tom Cannon was overpriced for the same fee. They both had pretty identical half season stats last season.

Simms has now had a ridiculous 2 months and Cannon barely plays but it was a flawed call at the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

For Preston, the sort of team he should get a loan at next season to get a full season at this level. He's not quick enough pace wise or in the press for us, we need a mobile number 9.

I tend to agree. I think he suits a two up front system and him being the slightly withdrawn role to find space. That said, he looked much better for us with Yunus in the 10 role behind him rather than our normal set up of two 8's.

If Ndidi is back up to full throttle and there's more fluidity to our attacks then he could also thrive a bit more as he'd get space to unleash his strongest asset - finishing.

• Like 1

It's a bit baffling that he's always injured,  I think he needs a special course of traiing which will allow his body develop and catch up rather than the heavy rigors of others.

He's definitely got talent and a finisher in the same style as Cottee. A Poacher type rather than a Vardy type which he doesn't have the pace for either.

I think either way he makes it here or he doesnt we'll still recover our money on him as he'd do a good job in the Championship.

We'll still need a new Striker next season unless Man City lends us someone.

10 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Not quick enough? 😂 Have you ever seen him play? Bloke is deceptively rapid

https://youtu.be/L_pdoA1h9mU?si=eC_wyPGFcf6RO7kK

Edited by South Shire Fox

Baffling we signed him when we play with a system that employs one striker. Look at what we paid and what we got for Hirst in contrast.

Edited by Tuna

7 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Baffling we signed him when we play with a system that employs one striker. Look at what we paid and what we got for Hirst in contrast.

Not really, one is out of contract in the summer, another is close to retiring. Daka, who knows.

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

Scored loads in an average Preston side. Not saying he’s the next Vardy but let’s actually see him play a run of games

before deciding how good he is / isn’t 

Totally agree. If he could score for Preston he should be able to do it for us. I'm not saying start him necessarily but a run of coming on in the second half should be doable. Daka has hardly been pulling up any trees and whether we're in Championship or Premiership next season, we need to know what we're going to do with him. Iheanacho and Vardy could be gone and you certainly wouldn't want to rely upon Daka!