Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Saturday 3PM (15:00) Blackout

The 3PM Football Blackout  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep the 3PM Blackout that is currently in place?

• Yes
    • No

Article 48, which was created to protect lower league attendances states football league games cannot be live broadcast between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.

The rule has stood since the 1960s to protect the majority of Football League matches that take place on Saturday afternoons.

My personal opinion Is that this should be scrapped, then again I’ve no interest in going to watch my local team play either.l. However, when I took my younger daughter a few times, we saw stuff that was more like 80s hooliganism to be honest, so that hasn’t helped. I’m a Leicester supporter and will typically now only watch our games when available and I’ve enjoyed being able to watch our games on the pass this season. 

I’m no longer a season ticket holder, as getting to games was a bloody nightmare when they all started to get moved, as Sky, TNT, Amazon loves to move games to Sunday, Monday, Wednesday etc. 

Just wondering what the wider opinion on this was? 

• Like 1

The vast majority of football supporters follow their own team.

Some people (like me :wave: ) can't get to games and can only watch remotely.

The idea that not allowing such people to watch a broadcast of  their own team playing will somehow steer them to watch another team is misguided.

In an age of streaming matches, which is providing a service that people can't get anywhere else and really want, it's utter madness.

The rules were made before the current lanscape was shaped.

Time for a re-think.

• Like 4

Wait, I voted no but I meant to vote Yes lol

People say you can stream now but it's only really a small subset of football fans that are capable of finding consistently good streams for 3pms.

To be fair I'd be open to it, but I'd only allow private streaming. I'd still be against streaming commercially or in public places.

Whether people want to believe it or not. If a group of lads say they're going to a non league game for something a bit different, but they have the opportunity to stay in the warm pub and watch a live Premier league game. There's a very good chance they'll opt for the warmth, especially between October and Feb when the weather can be harsh.

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Keep it. Our lower and non-league attendances are something we should be proudest of in England and a change would threaten that.

Increasing the televisation of football will ultimately only benefit those best able to exploit that - those currently at the very top of the tree.

Pretty much. I think this is what seperates us from anywhere else. I'm sure even Pep said that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Wait, I voted no but I meant to vote Yes lol

People say you can stream now but it's only really a small subset of football fans that are capable of finding consistently good streams for 3pms.

To be fair I'd be open to it, but I'd only allow private streaming. I'd still be against streaming commercially or in public places.

Whether people want to believe it or not. If a group of lads say they're going to a non league game for something a bit different, but they have the opportunity to stay in the warm pub and watch a live Premier league game. There's a very good chance they'll opt for the warmth, especially between October and Feb when the weather can be harsh.

Same here - keep it. Think it's massively important in large cities where there are a number of non-league clubs. 

However l think your final point is a way of making it work. A lot of the NL pyramids abroad then stagger their kick-offs across the weekend - so you still get the fans in of your local pro club. You could for example have a NL kick-off at 1pm and then everyone plies in the club house at 3pm for the game on TV. Equally (which should happen more) clubs in close proximity such as Shepshed and Coalville could kick off Friday night / Saturday early afternoon to further take advantage of that. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Keep it. Our lower and non-league attendances are something we should be proudest of in England and a change would threaten that.

Increasing the televisation of football will ultimately only benefit those best able to exploit that - those currently at the very top of the tree.

Excellent point - what happens when the TV deal increased by £x amount of hundred million and the top clubs push for a big slice of the pie. Increased inequality 

• Like 1

The blackout isn’t telling you what to watch, it’s a small piece of helping clubs avoid being killed off by the greed of bigger, already far richer clubs. 

Its not in place to drive you to non-league, it’s to restrict the temptations placed in front of non-league fans. 

That is a very good thing. 

So of course it should be kept. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Same here - keep it. Think it's massively important in large cities where there are a number of non-league clubs. 

However l think your final point is a way of making it work. A lot of the NL pyramids abroad then stagger their kick-offs across the weekend - so you still get the fans in of your local pro club. You could for example have a NL kick-off at 1pm and then everyone plies in the club house at 3pm for the game on TV. Equally (which should happen more) clubs in close proximity such as Shepshed and Coalville could kick off Friday night / Saturday early afternoon to further take advantage of that. 

Happens at local club rugby around England matches when the 6 nations are on, works well.

Without even considering the effect on the lower leagues I'm not for the streaming of all the games without many reservations.  

If the revenues for live streaming are split evenly between the teams in their respective leagues then that could be acceptable but if ending the blackout means each club gets revenue based on their viewing numbers which would lead to the richer clubs getting even richer at the expense of almost everyone else then it's a no from me.

I don't think you can end the blackout without seeing what it could lead too and even then there's no guarantee that a level viewing playing field would be maintained as the overseas revenue split tells you what to expect.

Personally feel it's dated and makes no difference these days. Those who want to go to the game will still go and is the only solution if they want to crack down on illegal streaming.

It's crazy you can watch a game anywhere in the world other than the country where it's happening!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nalis said:

Happens at local club rugby around England matches when the 6 nations are on, works well.

Even at the top level. Newcastle Falcons vs Gloucester kicks off at 6pm tonight, with a load of advertising from the Falcons mentioning the 8pm Argentina vs New Zealand game.

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

The blackout isn’t telling you what to watch, it’s a small piece of helping clubs avoid being killed off by the greed of bigger, already far richer clubs. 

Its not in place to drive you to non-league, it’s to restrict the temptations placed in front of non-league fans. 

That is a very good thing. 

So of course it should be kept. 

Greedy clubs noooo they don t pay their players more than 200.000+ per week on avg.. By the way since obtaining a VPN line matches are available for streaming at a very good quality for us fans abroad.

There must be a middle ground that can enable fans to watch their team play in the UK legally on TV on a Saturday afternoon, but also protect clubs further down the league pyramid. So I propose - blackout stays, but only for big 6 matches. People who follow proper football clubs who aren't glory hunting norrises can watch their team. Man Utd "fans" who grew up in the 90s have to get in the bin or leave the house to go and watch a proper football team and stop being a bunch of sheep if they want to wtach a game on Saturday.

Edited by orangecity23

• 2 weeks later...

It's the lack of non 3pm games that I don't understand. Last night, on Sky Main Event, they had it simulcast with Sky Sports News. There were League Cup and lower league games being played. Cameras were there for goal updates and highlights, why not put one of the matches on live?

On 04/11/2023 at 17:34, DennisNedry said:

I'm a Leicester City fan.

I couldn't give less of a shit about non league football.

Yet it’s helped give us Jamie Vardy and Kiernan Dewsbury Hall. 

No non league pyramid, no our greatest player of all time 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2