Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Would you be happy with 2nd?

Would you be happy with 2nd?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy with 2nd?

• Yes
    • No

Of course you take second.

The aim is promotion, that's all that matters.

Nobody remembers who are 2nd tier champions and nobody really cares.

Whilst breaking records would be nice, it's totally irrelevant. 

Just get back to the Premier League.

Do you think Burnley give a toss if we get 107 points?

• Like 2

Start of the season - yes und take 2nd in ab heartbeat.

Now no chance: we have a chance for the biggest points total in championship history, 1st is a trophy  and the fans and the team look like they are actually enjoying themselves.

110 points - that’s what I’d target.

1 hour ago, Fox42 said:

If we finished second from this position, the implications would be very similar to when we finished 5th in 2021.

Disagree with this. I think the two scenarios are more or less incomparable. First of all, the difference between 4th and 5th meant different competitions which affected potential contract extensions, the calibre of players we could attract and brought in less money. Not to mention how it shattered the players to go through that experience two years in a row. If we finish 2nd this season, we will basically win the same prize as 1st, apart from a nice trophy we’ve already won 7 times before. We would probably still be a more attractive PL proposition for potential incomings than, say, Ipswich given our facilities, recent history and probably finances.

If Ipswich beat us to the title, I can’t see it affecting the players’ mentality or confidence one bit as long as we achieve our main target of promotion. I get that we have the best squad in the league, but Ipswich are a quality side too and they’re potentially only 2 points behind us after their games in hand. Do I want us to obliterate this league and break all the records? Yes, of course. But I’d 100% snap your hand off for 2nd right now and I wouldn’t even remotely compare finishing 2nd this season to blowing CL qualification in 2021.

• 5 months later...
On 25/10/2023 at 19:32, StanSP said:

Yes because it means promotion and that's the ultimate goal. 

No because we're in such a prime and dominant position at this current stage, it'll be one hell of a reversal in form and collapse to end up 2nd. And when you consider the opposition we've played and the sheer gulf in class between the majority of them and us, we'll have to turn to absolute shite to bottle it from here.

My fault. I jinxed it. Sorry everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, the objective at the start of the season was always promotion. Financially we need to be a Prem club and to take our punishment there. The club would not survive a transfer embargo and to lose several key players for another season in the Championship. 

Blimey, I thought this was a new thread but see it dates back to last October! I think any fan who saw in January or so that we were 15+ points clear of where we have ended up now (3rd!) and who at the time would've been indifferent towards finishing second (without knowing how bad we then became in the time in between to date....), would have your hand off to finish second now. If we go on a successful run again then finishing in either automatic promotion spot will happen but as things stand (not putting away numerous easy chances like at Bristol City and in turn conceding so many late goals when losing such silly games),  then I really can't see it - but yes, I'd be over the moon to finish second now obviously! 

Edited by Guy

Just proves what a complete feck up we have made of this since  January.

Complete embarrassment.

LCFC will be a laughing stock  if we dont go up.

"Who came 3rd in a one horse race".

Heads should roll if the job ain't completed.

To be honest, going up it is massive now just to gain back revenue… if we don’t the drop will be much bigger…  but it seems regardless a rebuild is going to be needed, far more than we ever thought. We will go down again if we go up but it will be a lesser fall… we can’t buy or even offer new contracts at this moment I believe .

i believe Seagrave is the right move still, over the long term, it will help produce better players but we now need to be patient again and just get ourselves sorted. Strap yourselves in, you are riding the oblivion with no breaks 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

6 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

To be honest, going up it is massive now just to gain back revenue… if we don’t the drop will be much bigger…  but it seems regardless a rebuild is going to be needed, far more than we ever thought. We will go down again if we go up but it will be a lesser fall… we can’t buy or even offer new contracts at this moment I believe .

i believe Seagrave is the right move still, over the long term, it will help produce better players but we now need to be patient again and just get ourselves sorted. Strap yourselves in you are riding the oblivion with no breaks 

We would have been better doing the stadium quicker I guess, increase revenue rather than betting on developing players.

Just now, TeamRocket said:

Nope if it was start of the season and we hunting the pack then yes but cos we was running away with 1st think 2nd would be really disappointing 

We are not running away now though are we?  Will be a few points in it at best from here, possibly just pipping Ipswich to 2nd is we can turn things.

16 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We would have been better doing the stadium quicker I guess, increase revenue rather than betting on developing players.

I don’t think. Seagrave is the right call, we just need to be patient; yes I didn’t expect these issues but great facilities and being able to bring through young players is actually vital imo to the the long term success; we are able to go through with the plans of the expansion without penalty btw. The only reason we don’t see the expansion happen is down to top. See training facilities and a stadium are an investment which help generate revenue, we could get out of our issues by selling both, but for long term that is bad lol we can bring players in and offer higher wages but it will only be short term and kill the club. It seems a lot of people don’t understand how PSR works and how they view the finances it is just guess work. The training facilities aren’t seen as club owned just like the stadium isn’t, it is king power owned, so they can do what they want including building that indoor 6,000 seater arena. We can build 50 training arenas under king power if we wanted lol

Edited by foxes_rule1978

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We are not running away now though are we?  Will be a few points in it at best from here, possibly just pipping Ipswich to 2nd is we can turn things.

Yeah we ain't now, but in the start, we was that what am saying. So finish 2nd would be disappointing I get it I would say yeah to 2nd if we just toying around with 1st,2nd or play off in the start but now anything than coming 1st is disappointing. I'll be happy we got promoted dont get me wrong, but it would be a very disappointing end to the season and some what worring too. Honestly, I worry what would happen next season. In the start, I was like definitely a team that doesn't belong in the championship and was alot bad management that got us in the championship, but now, if you were to ask, I would say we definitely belong in the championship we dont have no fight, every team knows how we play and we aint good enough for the premiership. I really hope I am wrong and Leicester show some fighting spirt and player start playing like they want to be here.

Edited by TeamRocket

This financial issue is nothing to do with seagrave lol just depends how king power want to see it . Yeah king power want to see a profit and might be getting a little anxious with how things are going. You need to know how business works and how PSR see things get off your football manager 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

The simple fact is the stadium expansion can happen right now regardless. So stop blaming Seagrave lol my simple opinion. It was bad signings, paying out big wages when not needed and sticking with a useless idiot for too long was the issue. Sorry I had my rant just annoyed people don’t know how ownership or businesses work… do you think when king power bought other clubs PSR looked into that lol it is like seeing those idiots who don’t know how much money they are making on dragon den and can’t tell the difference between net and gross despite all my life that is how we mostly receive our wages with it clearly stated. The truth is let’s be honest not many on here have a clue how business works or how a club is run 

Edited by foxes_rule1978