Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Terry Venables RIP

I’d been 2 yrs on the railway and throughout the Euro96 tournament I was working on revenue at Wembley Central and Wembley stadium, I have never experienced an atmosphere like it the crowds and atmosphere were electric, loved El Tel, he had such a fun element about him that I’ve not seen in any other England manager. My brother in law Terry even inherited the nick name El Tel that we still use to this day. Good times, great memories rest easy Terry thanks for those memories.

I haven’t been in England for the last 2 tournaments we have done reasonably well in, but the summer of 96 was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. 
The whole country was on a high!

After Euro 92 shambles and failing to qualify in 94, we had a decent team playing decent football and if Gazzas studs were a couple of mm longer, who knows.

El Tel brought the feel good factor back to English football and we all kicked every ball with the team that summer!

RIP Terry 

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

I see Lineker has had his two penneth stating Venables "was the best English coach we've ever had".

Well he never brought the World Cup home.

He never managed in a World Cup, because of non football issues. 
But he did do something bigger! He won a trophy with Tottenham- not many managers can say that!

• Haha 2

Can only echo what others have said. The 96 England team was probably the only non Leicester team I've ever truly loved and whose semi final defeat still pains me to this day. One of my Dad's favorites too. They were about the same age from the same part of London. So today has been a very sad day.