Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Things You May See In The Future

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

More expensive air travel. And a lot of people really regretting going to boring dumps like Italy and France every single summer when they could’ve gone to Bulgaria for about £29

Add to those, Estonia, Romania, Slovenia etc. 

Stunningly beautiful and cheap, rich in history and culture and very much catching up with the modern tourist world these days. 

Maybe it's the association with dictatorial regimes of the past that puts people off. 

Get it whilst it's cheap because it won't be for much longer.

I wouldn't agree that Italy is a boring dump though. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

Add to those, Estonia, Romania, Slovenia etc. 

Stunningly beautiful and cheap, rich in history and culture and very much catching up with the modern tourist world these days. 

Maybe it's the association with dictatorial regimes of the past that puts people off. 

Get it whilst it's cheap because it won't be for much longer.

I wouldn't agree that Italy is a boring dump though. 

Great tips, such good countries . 
I think it’s the association, plus sheer laziness and biased/bigoted views. Italy/france offer a mindnumbingly dull holiday (agree to disagree here, sorry!) but also safety. I’ve been there, i know it, nothing can go wrong etc.

People still think Eastern European countries are unsafe. I loved Albania, it’s Italy but way better. However the media will let you believe it’s full of men in their 20s wanting to rob you 

Edited by grobyfox1990
Typo

People preaching about the "hydrogen economy" effing off.  Probably one for What Grinds my Gears but was triggered at work.

On a more positive note, space based ISPs becoming a competitive sector so I can finally get fast internet in my hut our here in the Leicestershire Alps.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Nuclear war, the annihilation of our cities and the eventual apocalypse, although thankfully I'd hope to not see that as where I live would be right in a target zone. 

In such a situation, the ones that died so swiftly that they wouldn't even know what happened, to say nothing of painlessly, would be the lucky ones.

On topic, asteroid mining.

12 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I reckon a United Ireland might be one that happens in my lifetime.

I think this one is quite likely given the changing demographics and the mechanics of the GFA the UK government can’t deny a referendum like it can with Scotland.

Wales I think is very unlikely to become independent in any of our lifetimes, there’s never any appetite for it in polls. Scotland I think is definitely possibility but I’m not as convinced.

A United Ireland by 2050 if not much earlier is definitely a very likely possibility I reckon though. 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think this one is quite likely given the changing demographics and the mechanics of the GFA the UK government can’t deny a referendum like it can with Scotland.

Wales I think is very unlikely to become independent in any of our lifetimes, there’s never any appetite for it in polls. Scotland I think is definitely possibility but I’m not as convinced.

A United Ireland by 2050 if not much earlier is definitely a very likely possibility I reckon though. 

I'm not convinced the UK government would want to deny an referendum on Irish reunification. Once there is a clear evidence that a majority in Northern Ireland wants to rejoin the Republic, this should be done quickly and with minimal fuss. Some in loyalist community won't like it and there will likely be a surge in civil unrest/violence, but that's just something the Irish and UK governments will have to work through. It may take several generations for things to settle down, but it will be worth it.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm not convinced the UK government would want to deny a referendum on Irish reunification. Once there is a clear evidence that a majority in Northern Ireland wants to rejoin the republic, this should be done quickly and with minimal fuss. Some in loyalist community won't like it and there will likely be a surge in civil unrest/violence, but that's just something the Irish and UK governments will have to work through. It may take several generations, but it will be worth it.

Yeah of course there’s that, but I mean legally it’s written into the GFA already that a referendum can be automatically triggered if it looks like it will pass. There’s little the UK or Irish governments can do about it even if they did want to. I think many have come out since and said the GFA was always kind of made under the long term assumption than Ireland would eventually unite after 2-3 generations of the treaty once the living memories of the troubles had largely died out.

Edited by Sampson