Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The Draft

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Are you eligible if you play CoD?

I'm on max level weapons upgrades. I'd take their rabble of soldiers out easily.

That's how seriously I take the suggestion of conscription to war.

Especially with that crossbow that fires explosive arrows. They'd never know what hit them or where it came from. 

It's definitely a thing.

I'm probs too old, but happy to participate in a Dads Army / Home Front deployment, telling people to put their lights out and practising marching with a broom handle.

As luck would have it, I already know a good few odd looking Scottish guys who would say "We're doomed" from the outset.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

What will happen is that Putin will invade say Estonia, but only by a bit, to see if NATO responds. If it does then he retreats, if they don’t then it’s all out war. 

Unless he's able to spin that as some kind of victory, then I don't think he could take the loss of face that would entail.

So I don't think he does it in the first place and if he does pretty much all bets are off.

Guest David Oldfields Gate
6 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Plain and simple he should have been stopped when he invaded Crimea first time.

This is accurate.

1 minute ago, foxy boxing said:

How about the grown up children of politicians get drafted to fight first!. Politicians make the decisions they should suffer the consequences not just ordinary people. 

Good point. Boris could probably supply an entire regiment. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

How about the grown up children of politicians get drafted to fight first!. Politicians make the decisions they should suffer the consequences not just ordinary people. 

Certainly not unknown in First World War. PM Herbert Asquith lost a son though I think he was a volunteer rather than conscript 

On 27/01/2024 at 17:42, Innovindil said:

Doubt it. Their war with Ukraine has shown their entire military is a huge paper tiger. Practically backed into a stalement by nato's stockpile of mediocre weaponry. Against the full power that the USA alone could bring to bear they wouldn't stand a chance. 

Only way it goes past Ukraine is if China decides to go after Taiwan at the same time and they manage to split American attentions. 

Those generals have got some lovely boats in marinas in Turkey though!

I doubt the armed forces would  want either work shy entitled social media sheep or overweight crisp munching middle age yobs. Yes that wouldn't put highly trained professionals at risk at all. Just to flip it slightly though, would people be more prepared to fight if our own country was in danger? Not saying it would be of cause but just asking. For the record, I have served and would be prepared to do so again but I imagine I would need 6 months at boot camp to bring me up to shape! 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 13:16, LiberalFox said:

I doubt there would be a draft. More like a drive for volunteers in the event of a larger scale conflict. 

I think this is more about drawing attention to recruitment issues and looking to find support for more defence spending.

The army lose so many even on recruitment.Some when my lad joined left at the first opportunity saying “ I’m not enjoying it “ my lad said “ We are not meant to be at this stage”

He loves it,but out of probably 60-80 starters about 30 remained at the end of training.Couldn’t hack the discipline,hard physical work,sleep deprivation.

Then you have loads leaving when they can.

• Like 1

Saw a tweet the other day that to go to war a president/king whoever should be forced to kill their spouse. If they can't do it it's clearly not that important. 

Also I've said it multiple times but Russia would get slapped in a convential war with NATO, even without the US involved. They genuinely can't even turn Ukraine over. 

If Putin wanted to test NATO's resolve, he'd probably attempt a minor incursion into a neighbouring NATO country such as Latvia. This would be 'justified' on the basis that its relatively high ethnic Russian population needed to be 'protected' from malign western influences. NATO's response might be that triggering Article 5 would only escalate the situation, and therefore NATO allies of Latvia wouldn't get actively involved. Russia would see this as weakness, and slowly but surely advance on Riga. Eventually, all three Baltic States would end up back within Moscow's sphere of influence, and so conscription in the UK wouldn't be factor at play whatsoever. It would probably end up being seen as a knee-jerk decision in the face of Russian aggression elsewhere in Europe, with many on the left of UK politics regarding it as a form of social control rather than being a legitimate attempt to bolster the UK's defences.

10 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Trump is the biggest danger to Europe since Hitler 

Funnily enough, it's worth a thread on its own. 

Trump is possibly the best leader the US could have, despite his narcissism and borderline insanity.

He's unpredictable, he's superb at flattery and intuitively understands what makes most problematic world leaders tick; power and money. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Funnily enough, it's worth a thread on its own. 

Trump is possibly the best leader the US could have, despite his narcissism and borderline insanity.

He's unpredictable, he's superb at flattery and intuitively understands what makes most problematic world leaders tick; power and money. 

That's bonkers, do you mean the best leader between him and Biden? Because the best leader out of 300m+ people is tragic. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

I doubt the armed forces would  want either work shy entitled social media sheep or overweight crisp munching middle age yobs. Yes that wouldn't put highly trained professionals at risk at all. Just to flip it slightly though, would people be more prepared to fight if our own country was in danger? Not saying it would be of cause but just asking. For the record, I have served and would be prepared to do so again but I imagine I would need 6 months at boot camp to bring me up to shape! 

Hell no, unless I was paid substantially well. The tone of the country set by our leadership is 'take everything you can' so there's not a cat's chance in hell I would go to actual war for them for less than 7 figures