Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The Draft

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Does war with Russia look like an inevitability? They can’t defeat Ukraine and it’s been going on years now, not sure how they’d fair against the entirety of nato. 

and no I wouldn’t go.

Minus USA led by Trump?

11 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Does war with Russia look like an inevitability? They can’t defeat Ukraine and it’s been going on years now, not sure how they’d fair against the entirety of nato. 

and no I wouldn’t go.

There seems to be a lot in the press about how Putin will attack the Baltic countries/NATO soon after Ukraine.

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

There seems to be a lot in the press about how Putin will attack the Baltic countries/NATO soon after Ukraine.

Doubt it. Their war with Ukraine has shown their entire military is a huge paper tiger. Practically backed into a stalement by nato's stockpile of mediocre weaponry. Against the full power that the USA alone could bring to bear they wouldn't stand a chance. 

Only way it goes past Ukraine is if China decides to go after Taiwan at the same time and they manage to split American attentions. 

14 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I seem to remember that even going back to the days of the Warsaw Pact and BAOR with Nato allies there was only a limited defence possible before going for the nuclear button.

47 minutes ago, Lionator said:

With war with Russia looking like an inevitability at this point, how do you feel about being called up to fight for the country? 

Rather annoyed at being called up for what would be an inevitably futile cause because a serious conventional fight between Russia and any NATO power only ends one way, with everyone losing.

49 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Would you go?

Not if it was an any way humanly possible to avoid it, though it wouldn't make much difference long term.

50 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Would you be happy to fight?

In a situation where it's not possible to win? Absolutely not.

50 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Would you refuse?

See second answer.

51 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Do you have a plan for this? 

To live as long as possible and then when the shit really hits the fan, to die as quickly and painlessly as possible because the dead would be the lucky ones in such a situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

With war with Russia looking like an inevitability at this point, how do you feel about being called up to fight for the country? 

Would you go? Would you be happy to fight? Would you refuse? Do you have a plan for this? 

Inevitable? not how I look at it.

Russia is struggling with a war they can't win or seemingly pull out of currently, Putin has to go via death by old age or accident :ph34r: it seems for it to end.

Would they then get involved in a war with NATO which would inevitably lead to a minor nuclear exchange and then either go full on apocalypse or end in a stalemate with no one benefitting?

Would the British army want to swell it's ranks with people unfit and not wanting to fight,  and not enough equipment or ammunition, the navy not having anywhere near enough ships nor the air force having enough aircraft for such a war?

At my age, I know I'd never get around the assault course at HMS Raleigh lol never get over that bloody wall and my knee, ankles or back would go.:unsure:

Just now, LiberalFox said:

I doubt there would be a draft. More like a drive for volunteers in the event of a larger scale conflict. 

I think this is more about drawing attention to recruitment issues and looking to find support for more defence spending.

I’m of this school of thought as well. 

In fairness, if it did reach a draft stage, I’m in the demographic of not suitable. 

Are you eligible if you play CoD?

I'm on max level weapons upgrades. I'd take their rabble of soldiers out easily.

That's how seriously I take the suggestion of conscription to war.

• Haha 2