Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What is Happening to Asda?

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Nearest Asda is an hour away 😡. I really want to try this. 

There must be another retailer selling it…

Our Morrisons used to

IMG_7588.jpeg

• Like 2

There's a term for it that I can't recall, shrinkflation maybe🤔 but I have noticed at Asda that things such as grapes for example are now down to about 350 grams when they used to be 400g. Go to other supermarkets and most of the grapes are 500g but a bit more expensive so Asda might seem cheaper on fruit but you're getting 30% less grapes per box. 

A lot of the big brands have done it too.  They just reduce the amount of chocolate in the bar or take out some biscuits out of the pack and sell for same price and most people don't notice. Sneaky as ****. 

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Asda is the worst supermarket in England. 

The meat quality is atrocious. Not even red tractor accreditation on most of it. 

Shithole

The 2 ribeye steaks for £8 are the only meat that I'd get from Asda that seems pretty good value  -they're normally tender. I think the best value steak is the £3 one in Aldi, usually very consistent in it's quality. I don't know if anyone else is in to their steaks, but you can get some right tough steaks if you're not careful. Aldi do this giant 16oz  rump that I couldn't cut with a chain saw. 

• Haha 1

Without boring you with all the details, Asda are on a massive decline. Their ownership feels like a football club that's been promised the big time but it actually turns out they are dodgy AF and have little funds compared to the others. 

I was at their supplier conference last year and they have been given a hard stop date by Walmart where Walmart will basically switch off their systems. That date is in April. 

They have had to implement new systems, new ordering, new financial control and they are about a year from getting it right. 

They will either fall off a cliff in the next 12 months or turn it around there will be no middle ground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This reminds me of Wilko.

I went there a few months before it collapsed, having not been for a while and I couldn't believe the state of it.

Ridiculously, I did one of those "how did we do?" surveys on the receipt and I very helpfully told them how I thought they'd lost their way and about what used to make them great. This was as absurd as it was patronising, because of course it was completely f**ked by that point and there was no turning back.

Last time I was in Asda it felt a lot like Wilko did

• Like 2

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I thought you weren’t supposed to pack your bags at the checkout ?  Signs say to refill trolley and pack at the area beyond where there are shelves to help you and can do at a sedate pace 

Probably but I'm no just talking about Lidl...

Their Christmas ad campaign was dreadful.They ended up just showing the version of the bloke presenting a tray of pigs in blankets to Mr Buble.For what seemed like the whole of December.At least the previous years woeful effort had elf going round the store.

I don't go in very often as I live in Loughborough and we don't have one. Plus I work for a rival so tend to stick to shopping there. My Mum lives in Thurmaston though so I occasionally go to that one if I'm over that way and she uses it at times. Noticed over the last few years they've tried to fill the place with miniature version of other stores, like Decathlon, B&Q and Cinnabon, taking up large area of their own floor space. Nobody was going to buy anything from the limited range the first two had in store and cinnabon was always dead. The link up with the click and collect with Decathlon was great but not to actually give them store space. My mum said this was the start of the downfall as it made the store a nightmare to navigate and the layout of their own stock was either chaotic or limited due to giving up so much space. B&Q made no sense as they had a store 10 minutes drive away.

Shop regularly there, found an out of date rhubarb pie on Tuesday!

There is a coffee machine there that is 9 times out of 10 not working

Cheesy music is pumped out over the speakers

Staff mostly seem pretty miserable and treat the customers as if they are an inconvenience

13 hours ago, Collymore said:

There's a term for it that I can't recall, shrinkflation maybe🤔 but I have noticed at Asda that things such as grapes for example are now down to about 350 grams when they used to be 400g. Go to other supermarkets and most of the grapes are 500g but a bit more expensive so Asda might seem cheaper on fruit but you're getting 30% less grapes per box. 

A lot of the big brands have done it too.  They just reduce the amount of chocolate in the bar or take out some biscuits out of the pack and sell for same price and most people don't notice. Sneaky as ****. 

There is shrinkflation which is what you’re describing but there is also skipflation.Changing the ingredients of products and replacing expensive ones with cheaper alternatives.Which I think is even sneakier.You can even google the recipes of products then and now to see how much you’re being skanked.

Posted (edited)
On 02/03/2024 at 13:02, Bellend Sebastian said:

This reminds me of Wilko.

I went there a few months before it collapsed, having not been for a while and I couldn't believe the state of it.

Ridiculously, I did one of those "how did we do?" surveys on the receipt and I very helpfully told them how I thought they'd lost their way and about what used to make them great. This was as absurd as it was patronising, because of course it was completely f**ked by that point and there was no turning back.

Last time I was in Asda it felt a lot like Wilko did

It does. There's lots of missing stock from various shelves, or what's there is on the edge of it's sell by. 

Popular Fresh veg and salad is regularly missing, as are many other popular items.

The meat fridges are often lacking in anything but the stuff nobody wants or it's Asda's basic range which is the absolute pits of quality. 

They regularly run out of some cooked meats. 

It seems that the supply of the fresh stuff has changed from reliable and sustainable to ad-hoc, give us what you can, when you can.

And our local store seems to have resorted to regularly changing the shelf location of products so that people struggle to find what they've come for. I assume this is a tactic to force customers to search the store which in turn, increases potential for impulse buying.

I'm no expert but something odd is happening with Asda.

Edited by Parafox

19 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Never been in an ASDA in my entire life. Think I was put off by those adverts back in the day which featured various people patting themselves on the bottom.

R.43e4c737b6389e2cc7b7065bff195465?rik=S

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Will1981 said:

Will be gone like Wilko or Stobarts within 2 years, government really to blame blocked the merger with Sainsburys and allowed these two chancers to buy the company with debt and asset strip it.

They won't. They will still be about as they are still growing just not as much as the others around them.

The worst thing that will happen is they lose more market share and slowly start to close stores or sell off their assets. 

The traditional big 3 tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda are so powerful they own ridiculous amount of land in the UK too. 

Screenshot_20240303-213131.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to work for Asda, great people I worked with as well. This was about 20 years ago and it was a very challenging job even back then. Doesn’t help either that retail theft is out of control and a lot of customers seem to be entitled bell ends who just talk down to staff there. Hope they pull it around, I like our little Asda in shepshed, friendly helpful staff as well. 

oh and fun fact for those who don’t know, Asda is short for Associated Dairies. 

• Like 1

I go in occasionally.

Fresh fruit and veg choice/quality is poor, but they've got the best nut selection of any of the major supermarkets AND they have salt & vinegar hula hoops as well. Worth popping in on that basis alone.

18 hours ago, goose2010 said:

They won't. They will still be about as they are still growing just not as much as the others around them.

The worst thing that will happen is they lose more market share and slowly start to close stores or sell off their assets. 

The traditional big 3 tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda are so powerful they own ridiculous amount of land in the UK too. 

Screenshot_20240303-213131.png

Can't believe Morrisons is losing market share. Absolute top notch supermarket.

Edited by bmt
  • Like 1

Remember the days when it had a large selection of items, really picky on what they put out on the shop floor too, all the bananas for instance had to be within a certain colour range or they were binned off.

Then again Morrisons has dropped down from what they used to be too, ah well.

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Can't believe Morrisons is losing market share. Absolute top notch supermarket.

Done my weekly shop there more than anywhere else, so much so that I was sick to death of it and had started going to Sainsbury's, mainly as it's more convenient. You go to the same store most weeks for two decades you do start to go a bit potty.

I did go to Freeman's Common Morrisons the other week and thought the refit had really helped, it was actually quite nice to be in