Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

QPR (H) 1-2 Post-Match Thread

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I could forgive Middlesbrough as a bit of a freak. I could forgive Leeds for the most part, even despite the now habitual collapse at the end of the game I conceded that tactically we'd played it well for the most part. But when you accumulate those and a loss at home to QPR I'm getting seriously twitchy. I've seen this play out too often with us. 1/50 we were to get promoted and yet now it has all the hallmarks of another spectacular collapse, and if it plays out, quite honestly I have no idea where we go as a club.

The performance was absolutely dire. The worst of the season. What's most concerning about it to me is that QPR didn't have to do anything particularly special. I thought they defended resolutely, they closed off our passing lanes, and hit us whenever they could - pretty basic tactics and it worked a treat, with a vastly inferior team to what we could name.

You're seeing the flaws of Enzoball play out here. We have looked scintiliating at times this season - but to be honest, we ****ing should. We have the biggest advantage over 80% of this division than any side has had in my lifetime. That's the brutal nature of suffering a relegation as catastrophic as ours. The onus is on us. The expectation should be high. Yet I can't help but think after today that playing a fairly conventional system would probably have us yield a similar points tally. I've struggled to shake that feeling for a lot of the season.

We're in a real battle now and I've seen how this club reacts to this in recent times. It just sickens me having witnessed what we did in 2016, and 2014 not too far before, how we've become the bridesmaid in these things. I can totally see us blowing it now and I can't believe I'm saying this. I've had concerns about our big game record for a lot of this season but I've sort of shrugged it off because we've been ruthless against the rest. Well even that's falling now.

Please do not let this be another catastrophic error. It will take some severe picking up the pieces if it ends up being.

Indeed. If we do not get promoted here, then the only way is down. And as other people have pointed out, therapists in Leicestershire will be making a killing. Because it’s downright depressing and makes you wonder if it’s worth the emotional energy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes it’s true of course, but we were a perpetual underdog so nobody was remotely considering parking the bus against us, but you know this I am sure. :)
Possession has two purposes in my limited mind, 1)  to pass to get towards goal or 2) to retain it to prevent goals.
If the second reason occurs without the first, it gets frustrating and pointless.

Yes, spot on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wokinghamfox said:

Watched and watched again I can't see QPR's first goal anything but clearly offside. 

At the game I was convinced he was off. I can’t find a replay that I can stop at the right point, but Nelson is far too deep so you can understand why the Lino gives the benefit of the doubt to the striker and if went to VAR would have been fingertip stuff.  Inexperience from Nelson there as he darts right to try and force the offside too late. 

QPR committed the ultimate shit housery against us so fair play to them. It’s how I would setup against us. 

We are in a sticky patch and we need out of it fast. 

• Like 1

Didn’t see it, but losing 3 in a row isn’t necessarily a problem. It might be bad luck, and if these losses were spread out over the season instead this place wouldn’t go into meltdown. It’s only a problem if there are more structural causes like we’ve been found out and lack a plan b etc. but I don’t think that’s it.

Regression to the mean should have us winning the next couple of games 

Well I didn’t actually see much different yesterday to what we’ve been doing all season, except it didn’t work. Dennis went off and we seemed to lose our way. Albrighton should have come on, he’s probably not got youth on his side but he’s an intelligent player. He wouldn’t be chipping pointless crosses into the box hoping someone would be there. 

I’m expecting Plan A again  on Tuesday mainly because we don’t seem to have a Plan B. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Livid said:

Well I didn’t actually see much different yesterday to what we’ve been doing all season, except it didn’t work. Dennis went off and we seemed to lose our way. Albrighton should have come on, he’s probably not got youth on his side but he’s an intelligent player. He wouldn’t be chipping pointless crosses into the box hoping someone would be there. 

I’m expecting Plan A again  on Tuesday mainly because we don’t seem to have a Plan B. 

Yep... what a contrast to Ranieri in 15/16.

The man was a genius compared to Enzo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Genuinely worried now. Would happily take second place. 

That’s good enough. After recent results even that in jeopardy!

I would have taken 2nd place at the start of the season, I would definitely take it now🙏🏽

10 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Firstly we need to get used to the fact that Enzo isn't going to change his ways and he should'nt. It's not the method that's the problem it's the personnel.

The blend within the Team just isn't right,  it's what Enzo inheirited with a few additions and he's stuck with it.

The return of NDiddi will be a big boost to moral but that's a month away. We need Coady's experience in the team now.

Put KDH back in the 10 role where he plays his best. I'd go with Yunus in the 8 where he was brilliant against Bournemouth.

The Wingers have to be encouraged to take on defenders more often and switching play needs to be execuated quicker.

Passing needs to be quicker and our positioning needs to be better inside the Box but with Coady as a third attacking threat along with Vesty and Faes we might

have a chance of winning a few set plays.

I know it sounds silly but the players need to forget about winning the league and concentrate on just winning matches one by one. Then the league takes care of itself.

Easier said than done though. Maybe Enzo needs to bring the lads for a few Beers or Pizza's to relieve the pressure on them.

Everything was too slow yesterday.  The wingers and KDH are better when they run with the ball rather than receiving it stood still with the back to goal man marked.  All game Faes walked out the back slowly and they were happy to have 20 passes side to side until QPR had got into position instead of that one quick pass to the wingers to get the attack flowing.  This style only works when it draws players but they didn’t fall into the trap as they had no intention to press. 

Albrighton needed to come on to keep pumping balls into Vardy and Cannon rather than Fatawu doing a lot of nothing trying to run through 10 men. 

The finesse of Enzo ball doesn’t work against a team shithousing from kick off.  His inexperience is showing as he’s unwilling to adapt,

I think this will be the wake up they really need. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Watched and watched again I can't see QPR's first goal anything but clearly offside. 

Foxes hub discussed it on the restart (commentator and Elliot) and said whether it was or not, it was very tight. If it’s marginal offside then we shouldn’t have any issues with it 

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Firstly we need to get used to the fact that Enzo isn't going to change his ways and he should'nt. It's not the method that's the problem it's the personnel.

The blend within the Team just isn't right,  it's what Enzo inheirited with a few additions and he's stuck with it.

The return of NDiddi will be a big boost to moral but that's a month away. We need Coady's experience in the team now.

Put KDH back in the 10 role where he plays his best. I'd go with Yunus in the 8 where he was brilliant against Bournemouth.

The Wingers have to be encouraged to take on defenders more often and switching play needs to be execuated quicker.

Passing needs to be quicker and our positioning needs to be better inside the Box but with Coady as a third attacking threat along with Vesty and Faes we might

have a chance of winning a few set plays.

I know it sounds silly but the players need to forget about winning the league and concentrate on just winning matches one by one. Then the league takes care of itself.

Easier said than done though. Maybe Enzo needs to bring the lads for a few Beers or Pizza's to relieve the pressure on them.

You're partly right. We've needed a big CF eactly for days like yesterday. I don't know why Enzo doesn't move Vesty up there when things are not going to plan Just win knockdowns.

I know he wasn't available yesterday but we've had the same problem in other games.

There's not much wrong with the system but you need the right players which to be fail to Enzo he hasn't had time to assemble. I expect big changes in the Summer.

• Like 1

I put Middlesbrough down as a blip, and Leeds as “one of those”. Yesterday has concerned me though

Firstly, his selection and subs worried me. This is not the time for blooding youngsters imo. Coady next to Faes would have been a much safer option and can’t understand not having Kel on the bench. None of the subs had an impact and they seemed to be made for the sake of it. 

A bigger concern is the lack of intensity and plan b when we are chasing the game. In the games we’ve been behind in I don’t think I’ve believed once that we were going to claw it back. I understand Enzo has a philosophy and it has worked very well to this point. I don’t think this means we shouldn’t have another option if it’s not working. When the Cannon sub was made I would also have brought off JJ and Stephy for Sharky and Doyle. It would essentially have been a back 4 with Hamza and Doyle pushing up supporting Albrighton and Fatawu wide with 2 out and out strikers. We needed some crosses whipped in as the cut in lofty balls were getting headed out for fun. I would also have encouraged us to shoot rather than walk the ball in the net as keeper didn’t look comfortable when tested. 

3 big games now and I’m glad they’re away. We tend to play better when game is more open and we should get that on our travels. Let’s have a regroup and go again. Need some big performances to get our mojo back. 

• Like 3

Friends, you should all realise by now that the drama gods love to use our club for their own means. We’ll drop into 3rd in the last minute on the last day and we’ll win the playoffs via a penalty shoot out and then you’ll all say that it was hairy but you wouldn’t swap it for the world! Keep the faith! 

Edited by An Away Move
  • Haha 1

The f**king "Enzo way" yesterday was pass around the back, clip to a winger who either cuts in and blasts over the bar or chips in a shit cross to nobody.

Looked horrifically like the Brendan ball of last season which was also reminiscent of Puelball.

I really wish this style of football could be injected with a sense of urgency. We just never seem to have any. I honestly don't think we have had any sense of urgency since maybe Claudio got sacked??

Even when we're chasing a game we look too relaxed. I'm not saying just long ball it up, but ffs get the ball into the box quicker. It's just too predictable otherwise.

• Like 2

We don’t have much patience, do we?

I know it’s a football forum where people voice opinions, but I think the manager has earned a little faith. Maybe before posting just entertain the thought that he just might have a better idea about the strategy and tactics than Joe behind the keyboard…

edit: ie, if a problem is obvious to you, it’ll be obvious to him too.

Edited by Foxy DK
  • Like 1

Just now, Corky said:

Vestergaard was a huge miss, we look far better in the ball with him in the centre.

Yet we still lost the 2 previous league games. Teams have been overly clinical against us lately.  Whilst this is happening, the players up the pitch have to do their jobs.

• Like 2

Not sure who their number 3 was but despite having the physique of a rugby player, hobbling, looked absolutely spent after 70 mins - Mavididi still couldn’t get the better of him, he was garbage yesterday and his head was down most of the match. Really poor 

• Like 3

This is the best footage i have found for the first goal (taken from Mayan vlog). I can't get any other footage to stop the moment the ball is hit. Its tighter than i remember at the game for sure, and we are always screaming for VAR to give those to the striker. Nelsons positioning is all wrong which is a shame as overall he had a decent game. 

image.png.1ef3d854e173e858752b6f2cb98a8886.png

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yet we still lost the 2 previous league games. Teams have been overly clinical against us lately.  Whilst this is happening, the players up the pitch have to do their jobs.

Ricardo played in the last two and will still lost yet missed him as well. We lacked fluency in the ball which is rare.