Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

On 22/01/2019 at 16:54, Carl the Llama said:

As if they actually put Black Panther up for best picture lol It's not a bad film but come on... 

Blackkklansmen is poor too. 

"The Mule" 7.5/10

Clint Eastwood directs and leads. He again plays a "cool dude", but a very old dude who's out of touch with the modern world - and who has fvcked his life up in many ways.

He's repeatedly let down his estranged wife and daughter by concentrating on work, his market gardening/floristry business has gone bust due to internet competition, he's skint......

So he ends up making megabucks delivering cocaine for a Mexican drug cartel (based on a true story, apparently).

Well acted by Clint. He manages to be cool yet vulnerable and out of touch, selfish yet cares a bit. His real life daughter plays his screen daughter, so maybe a bit confessional?

Some good "road movie" footage of the USA and some good low-key humour, along with plot tension and some scary Mexican cartel baddies.

Not a classic, but above average and worth a watch.

Edited by Alf Bentley

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Disagree with you there, FIF. Good tension, humour and entertainment - not a classic but a 7.5/10 for me. 

Sorry Alf, lost it's context - this was in regards to it's best picture nomination. It's was an okay watch but not one of the best movies of the year.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

Sorry Alf, lost it's context - this was in regards to it's best picture nomination. It's was an okay watch but not one of the best movies of the year.

Fair dos. Not one of the best movies of the year, I'd agree - though above average in my book. All a matter of opinion, anyway.

"Stan & Ollie" is the best film that I remember seeing in recent months.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I hate going to the cinema. It a place you go to to see a film you think you'll enjoy, only to have it spoilt by the Moorhead sat in front or behind or slightly to the side. (In many ways, much like watching City play).

I just walk out and ask for my money back, if you stay and don't say anything you'll just fume. If you say something, they might shut up, but you'll still fume. Either way the film is ruined, so you might as well get your cash back and do something else.

• Like 1

With the impending doom of the week approaching on Sunday night, I decided to compound it by watching two horrors.

Overlord was a daft, yet surprisingly well constructed, genre-blending splatter-fest. Reminded me of the video nasties from the 80s. Not groundbreaking, full of clichés but I thought it was really fun. 

The Ritual seems to have got pretty middling reviews. Maybe from Americans who find the super laddy British dialogue grating. I thought it was pretty good. Loads of reference points in Blair Witch, Wicker Man etc. Quite liked it, and they made a good decision not to reveal the evil thing until right at the end. Something modern horrors never seem to do.

15 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Watched A Star is Born last night, thought it was pretty awful

Entertaining in parts, but it turns into a veritable Lady Gaga promo piece the longer it goes on. Too much propaganda, little substance.

Could've done without the last half hour.

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

They should just leave it alone. Why risk spoiling a great show? 

Oh yeah... $$$$$

I don't care about the "spoiling" part, as long as the story is cool as fvck.

Vince Gilligan turns cräp into gold, so I have high hopes and am confident it'll turn out very well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

If you’ve not seen Bird Box please don’t read this post.

Can anyone explain why certain people were unaffected by whatever it was.....

Can't say why, but it was basically those who were insane / mental health issues. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 12:48, Babylon said:

Might have said the same but they are still making Better Call Saul with many of the same characters and it's top drawer.

Better Call Saul is a different story, though, or two different stories ultimately. It expands on a number of characters that were popular and explains their back story. Everyone loves a bit of origin. 

The film intends to pick up where BB left off and carry on Jesse's story after literally every fan of the show has gone off and established their own head canon for what happens next. You don't **** with people's endings.

I think its a bad idea and I think, unlike Better Call Saul, Gilligan has hugely overestimated the level of public desire for a continuation of Jesse's story. 

Everyone wanted BCS. I'm not sure they want this. 

I trust Gilligan to produce something excellent, it'll no doubt be well written, directed and of great quality. But it just can't possibly be a story to satisfy everyone's conclusions about what happened next, years after the fact. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Kudos to Christian Bale for straining his body for yet another physical master performance - just can't make my mind up whether the movie is actually any good. lol

Saw this last night and thought it was excellent - at least 8/10.

Outstanding effort by Bale, I agree. Also, Steve Carell as Rumsfeld & a nice supporting role for Sam Rockwell as George W.

Often laugh-out-loud funny, surprisingly for such subject matter - heavyweight, understated politician; acquisition, use and abuse of power; big political themes etc.

Could easily have been grindingly dull, but the humour, the lively pace, cut-and-mix, bring-in-the-audience approach made it entertaining viewing - without losing the heavy themes or the sense of Cheney as a real person with family complications that elicited sympathy despite his ruthless pursuit of power, right-wing political goals etc.

I'm surprised reviews have been mixed - some good, some bad. Top stuff!

Edited by Alf Bentley

The Possession Of Hannah Grace - When a cop who is just out of rehab takes the graveyard shift in a city hospital morgue, she faces a series of bizarre, violent events caused by an evil entity in one of the corpses - 6/10

Welcome Home - A couple spend a weekend at a vacation rental home in the Italian countryside in an attempt to repair their relationship, but soon become victims of the homeowner's sinister plan. - 6/10

Unsane - A young woman is involuntarily committed to a mental institution, where she is confronted by her greatest fear--but is it real or a product of her delusion? 8/10