Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

On 03/02/2019 at 20:22, Soup said:

Green Book is very good. 

In some respects. It can be enjoyed as a simple 'feel good' movie but you really don't want to think too much about it.

On 15/02/2019 at 14:08, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Watched A Star is Born last night, thought it was pretty awful

Why does that not surprise me. 

There are certain movies that really do not grab me. I like to be wrong but I don't take too many risks with that.

On 27/12/2018 at 21:11, Stadt said:

I’ve not watched Hell or High Water or Sicario but they’re part of

the same Neo-Western trilogy written by Taylor Sheridan, will give ‘em a watch over the holiday.

I didn't know that, cheers. I'll give ''Sicario' a watch (and the other nameless one!)

I enjoyed 'Hell Or High Water'. It got a little too violent (unnecessarily imho) for my tastes but I thought it an excellent movie. Not perfect but excellent.

On 26/02/2019 at 23:14, Carl the Llama said:

Behind the Curve on Netflix, a documentary featuring some prominent members of the flat Earth movement.  Great entertainment albeit a bit worrying.

Just a bit? Absolute fruit loops who think they are somehow free thinkers. Loved them spending $20,000 on a gyroscope to prove themselves wrong, only to not accept the answer and put it down to something like "Heaven Power" interference lol

Edited by Babylon

1 hour ago, rico said:

Anyone watched Serenity? :blink:

That emoji is quite telling!

I haven't seen it but the critics were taking the piss out of it on the radio last week!

38 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Just a bit? Absolute fruit loops who think they are somehow free thinkers. Loved them spending $20,000 on a gyroscope to prove themselves wrong, only to not accept the answer and put it down to something like "Heaven Power" interference lol

Ngl I kinda love them.  The final scene's been getting a lot of play on social media and it gets me every time. (Spoiler, obviously):

"Interesting."

lollollol 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I did find those flat earthers in the Netflix show to be a thoroughly charming bunch. The leader of them all and the red head woman are definitely sleeping with each other I’m sure of it 

Not a chance, he's absolutely gagging for it but he's friend zoned and hates it.

Isn't there a bit in it talking about the sterotype of people living at home in their mum's basement... and I'm pretty sure he lives at home in his mum's basement.  lol

• Haha 1

"A Private War" 7/10    

A film well worth seeing. Theme, filming and Pike are brilliant but it has flaws.

Film about Marie Colvin, foreign correspondent with eye-patch famous for front-line war reporting in Sri Lanka, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya etc. 

Brilliant performance by Rosamund Pike in lead role. Extraordinary scenes of life in a war zone (some taken from real life?).

Where I mark it down is for a lack of clarity. The film focuses on her motivation for leading such a dangerous life (she was eventually killed in Syria), but muddies the waters to no purpose.

It's clear that she's strongly motivated by a desire for people to know the truth about some awful stuff. But the film introduces other possible motives in a trivial way: Was her relationship with her father an influence? Was she motivated by egoism (probably not)? Did she have a rivalry with another journalist? No problem raising issues and leaving it to the viewer to decide.....but it's done so superficially....what's the point of that? It's like they couldn't be bothered to address those issues properly.

On a trivial note, big screen headings like "Iraq, 9 years before Homs" are annoying.... Yes, we know she was killed in Homs, so you can ditch the cheesy "doomed to die" melodrama.

A thought-provoking film theme, though: what motivates someone to lead such a life? Flawed but worth seeing.

Alita was great popcorn viewing, but I am finding the trend to drop f-bombs in 12a movies increasingly weird. They're usually memorable for the wrong reason. The reason for it, it seems from a quick online search, is that you can put one fxxx in a 12a but that's it. But usually this means that during the rest of the film, swearing is avoided, or the frequent use of "soft" swear words in a way that makes the solitary swear really stand out.

Either just have people swearing in general, or not at all. People generally fall into these two camps.

Oh, and one of the surround speakers was "pzzzzzzzzzzzppppp"ing all the way through. 

The cinema experience is poor!

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The 1993 version of The Fugitive still holds up really well by today's standards.

Harrison Ford vs. Tommy Lee Jones. Epic.

Also think it's masterfully written and edited, keeps the pace up at all times.

It's a fantastic movie and it's probably one of the few occasions were the remake is better the original series. Both Ford and Jones are on top form in this movie and neither actor over shadows the other. The sequel The US Marshall is alright at best, though it has more of a direct to video feel about it. Tommy Lee Jones is good as always in the sequel is given more character develop for him, however unlike the first movie I find the surrounding characters very weak... even with Robert Downey Jr.