Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Guest seanfox778

A Nightmare on Elm Street part 2: Freddy's Revenge - 5/10

A new family has moved into the house, a teenage boy, Jesse, starts having those familiar dreams and Freddy wants to return through his body (i think). Has none of the fear from the original and feels almost comedic. It's worth watching just for Jesse's hilarious screaming.

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels - 9/10

Wonderful London crime film from Guy Ritchie. Great cast, soundtrack and very witty.

Snatch - 8/10

Almost like a sequel to Lock, Stock with some of the same actors playing different characters. 

Dark City - 9/10

One of my favourite sci-fi films, a chap wakes up in a hotel bath tub with a dead hooker in the other room (we've all been there). He has no memory and is being followed by some weird beings. Very dark film with a cracking twist.

Brick- 7/10

Cool noir film set in modern times at a high school. A girls body is discovered by a young man and he starts finding clues and investigates. I think it tries too hard to be clever (or maybe I'm just a bit slow). The dialogue is very fast paced and I'm not always sure what's going on but it's fun.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - 7/10

I'd say this is the best of the sequels, certainly the most imaginative. A group of sleep deprived teens are being kept in a hospital and they team up to battle a stronger Freddy. Nancy from the original film returns to aid the kids in their quest. Patrica Arquette’s film debut and also a young Laurence Fishburne features. This movie has some gruesome death scenes as well as some wonderful Freddy one-liners, my personal favourite being “welcome to prime time, b*tch!” as he rams a poor young girls head into a TV set. Classic Fred.

Edited by seanfox778

Watched a few over the weekend;

Aquaman & Venom - Both ok movies not OMG amazing, but seen alot worst and i do love a good superhero movie. 6.5/10 

Fantastic Beasts; The crimes of Grindelwald - Avid fan of the Harry Potter movies and knew these spin offs would not match upto them. However as long as you dont have massive expectations then this is worth a watch. Preferred this one to the 1st one they brought out. 7/10

The Predator (2018) - Nothing like the original, although they did have a few similarities i guess. Acting was a bit meh, but story-line was good. 6.5/10

Sicario (2015) - Good watch and looking forward to the Day of Soldado 2018 movie 7/10

Guest seanfox778

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - 6/10

Not my favourite Bond film, I find this one a bit of a drag and I always lose interest in the middle part with the mind control girls. I actually don't think George Lazenby is bad as James Bond, he reminds me of Clive Owen, it's just a bit of a dull film. I do think it has the saddest and most tragic endings of the 007 movies and that's why I stick with it. 

4 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - 6/10

Not my favourite Bond film, I find this one a bit of a drag and I always lose interest in the middle part with the mind control girls. I actually don't think George Lazenby is bad as James Bond, he reminds me of Clive Owen, it's just a bit of a dull film. I do think it has the saddest and most tragic endings of the 007 movies and that's why I stick with it. 

I kind of like Telly Savalas' performance as Blofeld, even though Blofeld with a New York accent is weird. Lazenby and Diana Rigg absolutely hated each during filming apparently. Lazenby was offered a multi-film Bond contract afterwards, but his agent convinced him the Bond franchise was finished, so he turned it down.

I like a Partridge-style Bondathon. However, I do feel they all sag a bit in the middle and would benefit from being 15-20 minutes shorter.

Guest seanfox778
12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I like a Partridge-style Bondathon. However, I do feel they all sag a bit in the middle and would benefit from being 15-20 minutes shorter.

Yes, agree with that. The only one I don't really like is Moonraker, I heard they just shoehorned it in because of the popularity of A New Hope. 

3 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Yes, agree with that. The only one I don't really like is Moonraker, I heard they just shoehorned it in because of the popularity of A New Hope. 

I've grown to like Moonraker. I was originally like "WTF?!". It's so bad, but in a good way. It's cringeworthy, and very 'of its age', but also hilarious nonsense for the most part.

On 28/12/2018 at 23:04, MC Prussian said:

No Country For Old Men.

Watched it again for the second time after several years, and I've got to say I finally understand its symbolism. I can see what the main characters stand for.

Need to watch that again, only watched it once, i didnt really give it time, that bloke who walks around with the air thing is he bad?

• Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 09:06, foxfanazer said:

Sounds like an incredible story. How have I not heard of this guy?

lollollol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Kaiser_(footballer)

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1979 Puebla 0 (0)
1981 Botafogo 0 (0)
1983 Flamengo 0 (0)
1986–1987 Gazélec Ajaccio 0 (0)
1988 Bangu 0 (0)
1988 Fluminense 0 (0)
1989 Vasco da Gama 0 (0)
1989 El Paso Sixshooters 0 (0)
1990 América (RJ) 0 (0)
1992 Guarany Futebol Clube 0 (0)
Total   0 (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

lollollol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Kaiser_(footballer)

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1979 Puebla 0 (0)
1981 Botafogo 0 (0)
1983 Flamengo 0 (0)
1986–1987 Gazélec Ajaccio 0 (0)
1988 Bangu 0 (0)
1988 Fluminense 0 (0)
1989 Vasco da Gama 0 (0)
1989 El Paso Sixshooters 0 (0)
1990 América (RJ) 0 (0)
1992 Guarany Futebol Clube 0 (0)
Total   0 (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

The Brazilian Trevor Benjamin.

Edited by bovril

44 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Anyone going to give the Laurel &  Hardy film a watch? As being of that certain age where I can remember them being rerun on TV I have to admit to loving them, the few clips I’ve seen look quite interesting with Coogan and John C Reilly doing a good job in the lead roles.

Just come back from seeing it: Recommended, 8/10

Very moving as well as funny - an aging Stan & Ollie tour Britain in the 50s, long after their golden years, forgotten by many and with Hardy in poor health.

Confirmation that Coogan is a very good actor on the sly - as is Reilly - and they work well together as a duo, as do the two women playing their wives.

Quite a philosophical, meaning-of-life sort of film - themes of friendship (and tensions), loss through time, purpose etc.

Likely to appeal a lot more to the "less young", but a really good film. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Very moving as well as funny - an aging Stan & Ollie tour Britain in the 50s, long after their golden years, forgotten by many and with Hardy in poor health.

Confirmation that Coogan is a very good actor on the sly - as is Reilly - and they work well together as a duo, as do the two women playing their wives.

Quite a philosophical, meaning-of-life sort of film - themes of friendship (and tensions), loss through time, purpose etc.

Thanks for sharing ?? Definitely going to see it.

37 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Thanks for sharing ?? Definitely going to see it.

I asked my daughter (14) yesterday whether she'd heard of them. As I half-expected, she hadn't.....but I suppose when I was 14, I'd not heard of music hall artistes from 50+ years before I was born.

Time moves on.....which seemed to be one of the messages of the film....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sums it up nicely. I don't mind saying there were tears in my eyes by the end (though I'm a big Laurel and Hardy fan) I'd say 9/10 though (as someone who would never give an 10/10... yet, at least)

21 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I asked my daughter (14) yesterday whether she'd heard of them. As I half-expected, she hadn't.....but I suppose when I was 14, I'd not heard of music hall artistes from 50+ years before I was born.y

Time moves on.....which seemed to be one of the messages of the film....

However, your children should be taken into care, where they might receive a proper upbringing. For shame on you, Alf! :angry:

But you'll enjoy it @Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Sums it up nicely. I don't mind saying there were tears in my eyes by the end (though I'm a big Laurel and Hardy fan) I'd say 9/10 though (as someone who would never give an 10/10... yet, at least)

However, your children should be taken into were they might receive a proper upbringing. For shame on you, Alf! :angry:

But you'll enjoy it @Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

Thanks, going at the weekend! 9/10 I’ve got high hopes ?