Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

18 hours ago, promised land said:

Great feeling isn’t it? I paid mine off in full last summer, I had been mulling it over for a year or two and finally phoned up, initially to book an appointment but nice lady on the phone said you can do it now.

Paid it off 8 years early too, so saved thousands on interest.

Back on topic, my day was a result as it happens, two nice juicy rats caught, one a week is a good return but two in one night is a bonus.

Pic uploaded as one or two grumbled when I posted a pic last summer of the king rat I caught. :D

FDA6F7AC-44D5-4538-BEC7-92EDA1D6DBF1.jpeg

Nice looking bits of kit ...   what are they ? ...   I still use two old big rusty traps ..   get the rat alright and normally almost chop them in half ...   but always worry they’ll have my finger off too !! ...   time I upgraded. 

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Nice looking bits of kit ...   what are they ? ...   I still use two old big rusty traps ..   get the rat alright and normally almost chop them in half ...   but always worry they’ll have my finger off too !! ...   time I upgraded. 

Top one is a Fenn mark 4 trap, as you can see this trap crushes the body of the target species, you can use it for rats, greys, stoats and weasels, in a box or tunnel only. They’re good, I’ve got 8 or 9 of them, around a tenner each.

Bottom one is a DOC150, this crushes the skull with a massive blow, rats, squirrels, stoats and weasels again, it’s a relatively new trap on the market, New Zealand outlawed Fenns and made their own trap, hence Doc, (department of conservation New Zealand.)

Think of Fenns as dial up internet and Doc 150 is your super fast fibre. At a cost, they’re four times the price of a Fenn.

Both these traps have safety catches so no fingers go missing. I always have 3 or 4 set and baited as I’ve got woodland behind my fence so lots of vermin activity.

If you’re upgrading for £20 I’d buy a couple of Fenn mark 4’s, if it’s rabbits and minks your trapping then you’d go for the Fenn mark 6, bigger jaws and springs.

But as I say they have to be in a box or tunnel with a small opening, then baffles to slow the target species down and stop non target species ie hedges, birds, cats getting into the trap.

Look for a bloke called Gunner17722 on YouTube, he has a few Fenn vids, no Doc vids but there’s a couple elsewhere on you tube.

Edited by promised land

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

All this talk of snow and I'm here wondering if I'll get more than the 5 mildly icy mornings Cambridge has seen this winter so far....

I live at the bottom of one of the only hills in Cambs.This year,no problem.

Went to Huntingdon on Wednesday afternoon and the paths were still covered.When I was driving there I thought what are all these cars coming towards me covered in snow.

what is it, 15 miles from Cambridge.

19 hours ago, promised land said:

Top one is a Fenn mark 4 trap, as you can see this trap crushes the body of the target species, you can use it for rats, greys, stoats and weasels, in a box or tunnel only. They’re good, I’ve got 8 or 9 of them, around a tenner each.

Bottom one is a DOC150, this crushes the skull with a massive blow, rats, squirrels, stoats and weasels again, it’s a relatively new trap on the market, New Zealand outlawed Fenns and made their own trap, hence Doc, (department of conservation New Zealand.)

Think of Fenns as dial up internet and Doc 150 is your super fast fibre. At a cost, they’re four times the price of a Fenn.

Both these traps have safety catches so no fingers go missing. I always have 3 or 4 set and baited as I’ve got woodland behind my fence so lots of vermin activity.

If you’re upgrading for £20 I’d buy a couple of Fenn mark 4’s, if it’s rabbits and minks your trapping then you’d go for the Fenn mark 6, bigger jaws and springs.

But as I say they have to be in a box or tunnel with a small opening, then baffles to slow the target species down and stop non target species ie hedges, birds, cats getting into the trap.

Look for a bloke called Gunner17722 on YouTube, he has a few Fenn vids, no Doc vids but there’s a couple elsewhere on you tube.

Ahh ..  Fenn traps ! ...  yep that’s what I’ve got just couldn’t remember the name ! ...  mines quite a big old one and the safety catch is a bit wobbly ...  does the business though.  The DOC does look very good but I agree the Fenn is cheaper and less cumbersome so I’ll probably get a couple of them.  I’ve put mine alongside the chicken coop on a well used rat run, using small blocks of wood to make the tunnel you just push them in a bit near the middle to make a baffle ..  my biggest killer though is probably the poison...   I put it under an old tyre resting on 4 blocks of wood with a bit of wood on top and a bit of roofing felt on top of that and a breeze block to hold it down.  The chickens can’t get at it but you can see how the ground isreally scuffed round it as the rats can’t get to it quick enough !   

Thanks for your help ...   :thumbup:

90C86BF6-61E7-4EB3-8EB6-F341CD36CA39.jpeg

0B14F989-F92A-4423-9C44-F006782B1563.jpeg

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Ahh ..  Fenn traps ! ...  yep that’s what I’ve got just couldn’t remember the name ! ...  mines quite a big old one and the safety catch is a bit wobbly ...  does the business though.  The DOC does look very good but I agree the Fenn is cheaper and less cumbersome so I’ll probably get a couple of them.  I’ve put mine alongside the chicken coop on a well used rat run, using small blocks of wood to make the tunnel you just push them in a bit near the middle to make a baffle ..  my biggest killer though is probably the poison...   I put it under an old tyre resting on 4 blocks of wood with a bit of wood on top and a bit of roofing felt on top of that and a breeze block to hold it down.  The chickens can’t get at it but you can see how the ground isreally scuffed round it as the rats can’t get to it quick enough !   

Thanks for your help ...   :thumbup:

90C86BF6-61E7-4EB3-8EB6-F341CD36CA39.jpeg

0B14F989-F92A-4423-9C44-F006782B1563.jpeg

I like your very worn look, natural  too so won’t alarm the rats, chickens is why you have the problem then!!!

Fenn, Solway and Springer are all the same trap as you probably know made under license from Fenn but that Doc is a cut above, I was doubtful at first with the price but more than happy with it.

Have you ever tried sitting up one night with a rifle? 

Are you licensed to get the proper rat poison then that pest controllers use or do you just by the stuff off the shelfs?

A pest controller I knew said the EU are constantly clamping down on the strength of the poison and the stuff now isn’t as effective as it was years ago.

23 hours ago, promised land said:

I like your very worn look, natural  too so won’t alarm the rats, chickens is why you have the problem then!!!

Fenn, Solway and Springer are all the same trap as you probably know made under license from Fenn but that Doc is a cut above, I was doubtful at first with the price but more than happy with it.

Have you ever tried sitting up one night with a rifle? 

Are you licensed to get the proper rat poison then that pest controllers use or do you just by the stuff off the shelfs?

A pest controller I knew said the EU are constantly clamping down on the strength of the poison and the stuff now isn’t as effective as it was years ago.

Yep I’ve got a few air rifles! ..  use them mainly on greys, rabbits, maggies and pigeons, but get the red dot out when there are a lot of rats about...   tbh they are pretty much under control at the moment.  The poison is defo weaker now, (like the moss killer I buy as well), and I buy it off the internet ..  something Max Strength I think, bright blue bait blocks and pellets  ...  sure pest controllers have better stuff but I don’t know any and the brand I use seems to work fine.  Put loads down in my greenhouse a while back when the rats invaded big time ...   had to refill 3 nights running then it went untouched and the rats disappeared ..  :thumbup:   I’ll check what it is if you need some. 

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Yep I’ve got a few air rifles! ..  use them mainly on greys, rabbits, maggies and pigeons, but get the red dot out when there are a lot of rats about...   tbh they are pretty much under control at the moment.  The poison is defo weaker now, (like the moss killer I buy as well), and I buy it off the internet ..  something Max Strength I think, bright blue bait blocks and pellets  ...  sure pest controllers have better stuff but I don’t know any and the brand I use seems to work fine.  Put loads down in my greenhouse a while back when the rats invaded big time ...   had to refill 3 nights running then it went untouched and the rats disappeared ..  :thumbup:   I’ll check what it is if you need some. 

I don't bother with poison, just traps and lead aspirins in the head if something is loaded and to hand,  greys have to be the most stupid speices out there, I caught 40 odd in my garden last year and the odd pigeon here and there, they're dopey things too.

Got to keep on top of the vermin :D

• Like 1

You know Sir Graham Brady MP? Stout fellow in late middle-age with a plummy voice.....Chairman of the 1922 Committee, been an MP for 22 years?

I've just discovered that not only is he younger than me, he's younger than my little brother....so how's my day after that revelation? A bit surreal. It's a funny old life, Saint.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Man, am I struggling with motivation today. 

Got a project I need to crack on with and I've spent all morning sat in the office making cups of tea and procrastinating on FT.

This is my life :dry:

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This is my life :dry:

Been sick since friday so off work then and today too. In bed with tea hoping the herpes goes away soon. Got 15 to 20cm of snow coming today/tonight the bastard cvnt. Its also -18 celsius but "feels like" -27.  Think me  nuts have gone up into my abdomen to stay warm.

Fck you winter, fck you.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Man, am I struggling with motivation today. 

Got a project I need to crack on with and I've spent all morning sat in the office making cups of tea and procrastinating on FT.

You and me both...

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Make it go away pleasssseeee

Screenshot_20190130-201029_Weather Network.jpg

It's crazy, everything is closing due to the weather. Schools, postal service, factories, etc. The natural gas company is alerting people to dial back usage because there's concerns they won't be able to supply the demand through Saturday.

Shows you just how fragile our modern way of living is. We can't handle a couple days of adversity without everything going to hell lol

• Like 1