Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Went on another 11 mile walk yesterday starting at Ratby, and walking through Desford, Botcheston and Thornton.

We always follow the yellow markers and decided to stop for a picnic in a lovely large empty field just outside Desford, after about half an hour a lady in a 4x4 drove up to us, wound down her window and told us this is a public thoroughfare not a recreational ground and that she grazes here livestock in the field, basically to get off her land. I’m sure she was well within her rights to do so but I thought it was petty and small minded to move 2 people on having a quiet picnic on one of her many acres of land.

Privileged Pratt  

That’s my old neck of the woods. Not surprised by this...the land owners round there think they own the place! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

🤣 yes they do, and they do. 

Lovely walk round there mate. I’d suggest stopping in for a pint/bite to eat at The Greyhound in Botchestone in normal circumstances. 

• Like 1

So my parents have been feeding this squirrel while in lockdown, throwing it nuts and stuff. Dad goes in the attic this morning after hearing something, baby squirrels. Asked me to find some humane traps for them. 

Did some research and apparently if you catch them you've got to kill them? Who knew. Thought squirrels were alright. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So my parents have been feeding this squirrel while in lockdown, throwing it nuts and stuff. Dad goes in the attic this morning after hearing something, baby squirrels. Asked me to find some humane traps for them. 

Did some research and apparently if you catch them you've got to kill them? Who knew. Thought squirrels were alright. :unsure:

They can chew through your electrical cables, best to get rid of them.

13 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Hopefully no crossed wires here 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Feeding The Squirrel

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Went on another 11 mile walk yesterday starting at Ratby, and walking through Desford, Botcheston and Thornton.

We always follow the yellow markers and decided to stop for a picnic in a lovely large empty field just outside Desford, after about half an hour a lady in a 4x4 drove up to us, wound down her window and told us this is a public thoroughfare not a recreational ground and that she grazes here livestock in the field, basically to get off her land. I’m sure she was well within her rights to do so but I thought it was petty and small minded to move 2 people on having a quiet picnic on one of her many acres of land.

Privileged Pratt  

To be fair it is their land and people are only meant to pass through ...   but what really p1sses me off is when they try and divert the path and make it almost impossible to get through ...  happened to me once when we were walking through the Cotswolds ...  it was quite clear he had diverted people away from his big house and made you walk through a narrow metal fenced corridor that was boggy and covered in nettles ...  I got the arse and caused a bit of a commotion ..   out he came.   I’m not proud of what happened next but I smile every time I think of it ...   :)

Edited by Countryfox
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

To be fair it is their land and people are only meant to pass through ...   but what really p1sses me off is when they try and divert the path and make it almost impossible to get through ...  happened to me once when we were walking through the Cotswolds ...  it was quite clear he had diverted people away from his big house and made you walk through a narrow metal fenced corridor that was boggy and covered in nettles ...  I got the arse and caused a bit of a commotion ..   out he came.   I’m not proud of what happened next but I smile every time I think of it ...   :)

Oh come on you have to finish the story 

Lovely day! 

Relaxed alone in the garden, soaked up the sun, breathed in the warm air, listened to chilled music, didn't bother with telly and social media for most of the day.

Avoided people getting increasingly irate and going around in furious circles, screaming their heads off.

It was bliss!

• Like 2

It’s got to that point in the day where I should be donning my lycra and doing some pedalling ...   can’t say as I really enjoy it but it keeps you fit and I feel I will have earned the two ice cold San Migs that I’ll have when I get back ...   perhaps in 10 minutes ...   or so ...

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of when I last consumed alcohol. It felt like no big deal, which is a good thing, I think.

After almost 35 years as a semi-controlled chronic binge drinker, with a few gaps, I'd say the chances of me suddenly succumbing to temptation are now close to zero. In fact, I almost never feel tempted at all.

In the last 3-4 years, the closest came a couple of months ago, early in lockdown. It briefly occurred to me: if everyday life remains as crap as this, maybe I'd be as well off necking a few?

I wasn't on the verge of acting on that thought, though, and quickly dismissed it - the risk to health would be stupid even in normal times, when I've still got stuff I want to do and a 16-year-old daughter to think about. In times like these, doubly stupid.

I suspect that I will drink again in future - or give it a try, at least, maybe in a couple of years. I do remember how much I enjoyed many aspects of boozing: pubs (if there are any left in 2-3 years); company; laughs; the taste of good beer/wine; jukeboxes; getting a bit high, dreamy, heady or moderately out of control......though I also remember the not-so-good stuff like hangovers, stress & making an arse of myself. The good/bad/risk balance might be worth it then so long as I can keep a lid on it.

It will be a big decision if I do seriously consider resuming my boozing career in a couple of years. In a way, it would be simpler if my alcohol issues were worse - I'd definitely have to stay away from it.

But the truth is that, although my drinking was never fully under control, it was never fully out of control either - whenever I needed to be sober, I was, and I was never drinking every day.

I also was nowhere near as bad in my 40s/early 50s as I was in my 30s - and nowhere near as bad in my 30s as I was in my 20s. As you grow older, you can just digest booze less quickly, I found.

Thanks for tolerating me talking to myself......  :D

Well done mate :appl:

It's two and a half years for me, three in October since I last touched alcohol. This is the time of year I miss a cold beer but I know myself well enough that if I have one, I'll become dependent again.

I reckon a conservative estimate of £5 a day spent on booze means I've 'saved' about £4,500 since Oct '17.

On that estimate, what you gonna do with the £9,000 you've saved? :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's two and a half years for me, three in October since I last touched alcohol. This is the time of year I miss a cold beer but I know myself well enough that if I have one, I'll become dependent again.

I reckon a conservative estimate of £5 a day spent on booze means I've 'saved' about £4,500 since Oct '17.

Well done, sir!

I'd guesstimate that I was spending more like £50+ per week (so £7+ per day) in my later boozing days.....so I've "saved" even more than £9k, in theory.

I'd hate to think what I was spending, in equivalent terms, in my 20s: averaging 30+ pints per week....some people doing that will no longer be here. :S

In reality, the last 5 years have just avoided me ruining my financial future (and probably future full-stop) - particularly after the divorce.

Mind you, if things go OK over the next couple of years, it should hopefully leave me with enough cash to go off on some travels.... :thumbup:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of when I last consumed alcohol. It felt like no big deal, which is a good thing, I think.

After almost 35 years as a semi-controlled chronic binge drinker, with a few gaps, I'd say the chances of me suddenly succumbing to temptation are now close to zero. In fact, I almost never feel tempted at all.

In the last 3-4 years, the closest came a couple of months ago, early in lockdown. It briefly occurred to me: if everyday life remains as crap as this, maybe I'd be as well off necking a few?

I wasn't on the verge of acting on that thought, though, and quickly dismissed it - the risk to health would be stupid even in normal times, when I've still got stuff I want to do and a 16-year-old daughter to think about. In times like these, doubly stupid.

I suspect that I will drink again in future - or give it a try, at least, maybe in a couple of years. I do remember how much I enjoyed many aspects of boozing: pubs (if there are any left in 2-3 years); company; laughs; the taste of good beer/wine; jukeboxes; getting a bit high, dreamy, heady or moderately out of control......though I also remember the not-so-good stuff like hangovers, stress & making an arse of myself. The good/bad/risk balance might be worth it then so long as I can keep a lid on it.

It will be a big decision if I do seriously consider resuming my boozing career in a couple of years. In a way, it would be simpler if my alcohol issues were worse - I'd definitely have to stay away from it.

But the truth is that, although my drinking was never fully under control, it was never fully out of control either - whenever I needed to be sober, I was, and I was never drinking every day.

I also was nowhere near as bad in my 40s/early 50s as I was in my 30s - and nowhere near as bad in my 30s as I was in my 20s. As you grow older, you can just digest booze less quickly, I found.

Thanks for tolerating me talking to myself......  :D

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Well done both of you ...   great willpower...   you should be very proud  of yourselves.

Respect.

Edited by Countryfox
  • Thanks 2

Just been informed my last remaining grandparent has only a few hours to live. Ah man its hitting me hard. What a man, Polish army ww2 vet, fighting in some famous battles across Europe, few stints in siberian gulags where his brothers died. One stint he escaped and walked all the way to Kazakhstan! After the war moved to England with nothing and not able to speak a word of English. Learnt the language by going to the cinema. Can now speak Polish, Russian, German, Portuguese, Italian, English and others. Raised a large family that now spread across the world. Outlived 2 wives. Survived heart attacks and strokes. Functioning alcoholic most of his life. Been going blind for the past few years but remained fully independent to this day in his first story flat. 20 a day smoker since the age of 20, continuing to this day, now in his very late 90s its finally caught up with him. Thankful its not corona but just wish I could see him, not been able to since the start of march. Such a lovely man and played such a huge part in my childhood.

Age 97 and a mind still as sharp as anything! Just quite blind and quite deaf.

My other grandad passed just before lockdown after a long battle with dementia, what a ****ing shit year this is. I'm off to get drunk.

Edited by Kopic
  • Like 4
  • Sad 9

10 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Just been informed my last remaining grandparent has only a few hours to live. Ah man its hitting me hard. What a man, Polish army ww2 vet, fighting in some famous battles across Europe, few stints in siberian gulags where his brothers died. One stint he escaped and walked all the way to Kazakhstan! After the war moved to England with nothing and not able to speak a word of English. Learnt the language by going to the cinema. Can now speak Polish, Russian, German, Portuguese, Italian, English and others. Raised a large family that now spread across the world. Outlived 2 wives. Survived heart attacks and strokes. Functioning alcoholic most of his life. Been going blind for the past few years but remained fully independent to this day in his first story flat. 20 a day smoker since the age of 20, continuing to this day, now in his very late 90s its finally caught up with him. Thankful its not corona but just wish I could see him, not been able to since the start of march. Such a lovely man and played such a huge part in my childhood.

My other grandad passed just before lockdown after a long battle with dementia, what a ****ing shit year this is. I'm off to get drunk.

Ah man, that's sad.

No consolation, but it sounds like a life well and truly lived.

Shit year indeed  :( 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kopic said:

Sad news - but a moving tribute.

That sounds like a hell of a full life.

I doubt that will be any consolation at the moment, but over the coming years it might be. Namely, the knowledge that he lived such a long, rich life and was such a big figure in your life.

That's sort of how I feel about important people I've lost. The sadness is there, of course, at not being able to see them - but it's warmed a bit by thoughts of their lives and memories of time spent together.

Although it's not full compensation for the loss, those thoughts and memories somehow keep the person with you, I find....honouring them by remembering them, too, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

****. What a man. When all this corona started he used to say he wasn't scared of getting it, he was ready to go. He was such a handy man, building and fixing stuff all the time. As his eyesight worsened he got so bored and lonely. We'd always offer to move him into ours but he was determined to keep his independence, always say I'm not ready yet, even offered this last Friday when my dad dropped shopping off for him. At least corona didn't get him. His life wasn't shortened by that cvnt. Rest in peace!

Sorry for posting this sad shit, I just like the anonymity of writing it down. I don't really have anywhere else or anyone else to talk to. I'm not fishing for comments etc but I truly, truly appreciate all your comments and reactions. Cheers guys. Off for a beer for him.

• Like 4