Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Feels weird to read that, too.

Unless I'm confusing you with someone else (don't think I am), I'm sure that I remember exchanging the odd word with you when you were about to head off for uni......and that seems like no more than a year ago.

Showing my age.....

Good luck wherever you're headed next. Strange times into which to emerge, but I'm sure that won't last forever and you'll find something interesting to do next, if you haven't already done so. 

Thank you very much! It was a thread about whether there was any point in going to uni (and yes, it was three years ago!) and I remember saying I hoped there was, given that I was about to start my degree! I’m still ambivalent on the question, there are times when I wonder how valuable studying social sciences is, but I really enjoyed the three years and am disappointed that it ended with such a whimper! I’ve got a lot of time off now, I pushed a job back to January to give me time to travel and I’m still clinging on to the hope of that possibility in the late autumn. 

Edited by theessexfox

5 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Thank you very much! It was a thread about whether there was any point in going to uni, and I remember saying I hoped there was given I was about to start my degree! I’m still ambivalent on the question, there are times when I wonder how valuable studying social sciences is, but I really enjoyed the three years and am disappointed that it ended with such a whimper! I’ve got a lot of time off now, I pushed a job back to January to give me time to travel and I’m still clinging on to the hope of that possibility in the late autumn. 

I'm glad that my memory and sanity are still intact, even if my grasp on time is seriously defective!

If you "really enjoyed the three years", doesn't that make it a valuable use of your time in itself?

I'm sure it would be good if the degree also led to a stimulating and/or lucrative career (preferably a better one than you'd have got without going to uni) but lots of different factors can determine whether or not that happens, not just degree or no degree.

I've never achieved great career success, status or wealth, but don't regret either of my 2 stints at uni - I went straight from school but dropped out after 2 years, then went back at 30 and did it properly.

The first attempt really helped me to grow up and become independent, even if I ended up with no degree and doing crap jobs. The second time, I got on the right course at the right uni, really applied myself & got a lot out of the studies and the wider experience - I still view it as about the most productive, enjoyable time of my life, even though my career since has been so-so and I've not achieved greatness! :D

Yes, must be a bit of an anti-climax to have this bizarre ending. My daughter's in a similar situation, having suddenly left school with no fanfare & now waiting for whatever odd experience 6th form college will be in September.

Provided the Covid19 numbers keep coming down and we don't suffer a serious 2nd wave, there must be a good chance you'll be able to get away on some travels by late autumn or even earlier, surely?

I certainly hope so, as I'm still hanging onto hopes of having a couple of weeks wandering around the continent in September - and around Devon in 1-2 months, if some accommodation gets opened up.

Happy Fathers day to the fellow Dads on here :thumbup:

Bit of a strange one this year. No going out for Sunday dinner, no presents (apart from a bit of chocolate :rolleyes:) and a couple of handmade cards ;)

Feels like any 'normal' day atm. Will probably get my head down and do some work - busy week next week.

Anyone got any plans or get anything nice from your bin lids?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Happy Fathers day to the fellow Dads on here :thumbup:

Bit of a strange one this year. No going out for Sunday dinner, no presents (apart from a bit of chocolate :rolleyes:) and a couple of handmade cards ;)

Feels like any 'normal' day atm. Will probably get my head down and do some work - busy week next week.

Anyone got any plans or get anything nice from your bin lids?

Yes they're leaving me the fvck alone for a bit. Best present ever. 

• Haha 1

On 15/06/2020 at 11:41, RonnieTodger said:

New neighbours moved into the flat across from us and one of them got themselves locked out, so I rang the landlord to let them in but no luck.

Ended up letting her use my phone to call her partner who was at work, but no response. Then when she finally replied, I went to let her know but she'd gone AWOL. 

Turns out she walked 40 minutes barefoot to her partner's work lol. Luckily managed to tell the landlord not to bother before he made the hour long drive over. Very odd.

Had a new guy move in upstairs and he did the exact same thing on Thursday, again with no shoes on. Was sat on the stairs for 2 hours before the landlord came. Where is he finding these?

• Haha 2

Been OK, got up around 9, Breakfast, tidied up a little, had lunch.

Went into Leicester for Gelato, Coffee and a bit of shopping and it wasn’t that bad, no groups of kids or teenagers hanging around, hand sanitizer everywhere. Only about 50% of the shops in the Highcross open. 

Good weekend. Got some plastering done in my basement. Trimed some trees, dugout some weeds, replaced laundry vent on outside of the house, went biking a few times and spent time with the kids. It's 31 celsius (feels like 40) over here since yesterday. Brutal, hot to work outdoors in!

The GF quit her job today, after it came out her boss has been sexually harassing her and other work colleagues, not an ideal time for her to be looking for a new job. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks!

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Got one of my greatest twat tans today, upper arms look like the bit in neapolitan ice cream where the strawberry and vanilla meet.

I’ve got arms like those drumstick squashy sweets at the minute but there’s no way I’ll ever wear a vest so they’ll be staying that way for the foreseeable! 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

The GF quit her job today, after it came out her boss has been sexually harassing her and other work colleagues, not an ideal time for her to be looking for a new job. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks!

Where are you based and what does she do mate? 

Edited by Manini

18 minutes ago, Manini said:

Where are you based and what does she do mate? 

Based in Birstall mate, but she can travel anywhere (within reason). She studied 'early years' at University, but been working a lot more in HR/Admin over the past 3 years ish. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Out of a 48 hr spell in FT jail for what I can only imagine was for saying there was a goal in the Brighton game. That serves me right for trying to inject a little excitement in proceedings lol

48hrs though lol

Jailbird eh? Been “inside” have we Sir? Unable to mind our P‘s and our Q’s were we?

:rolleyes:

It was OK in comparison to a lot of days in the last three months! 

Not watched any football tonight, ordered in a nice kebab and had a beer. Hot & Sticky but chilled out lying on the sofa messing around on my phone. 

Had to do 2 hrs of Advanced Life Support resus training wearing full PPE: suit, respirator hood, 2 pairs of plastic gloves in a room that had no aircon and only skylight windows open. Full of awe for those that work in ICU in that gear all the time, although they wont be doing repeated CPR for 2 hrs (I hope), even though we had breaks, taking the suit off then having to put it back on again each time you were asked to perform ALS as we had to enact each persons role that occurs in ALS. 

• Like 1

Bought a brand new rattan furniture set (five pieces plus cushions, seats eight people), had it delivered and built, didn't think it fitted my garden so decided to put it on eBay, it sold the next day and was collected by courier the day after.

This all happened in the space of 2 weeks.

The buyer is now saying it's clearly an old set, been well used, looks worn etc and is talking about a refund.

It's obviously a big, bulky item and I don't want to have to pay to get a courier to collect, what a nuisance.

The buyer doesn't sound desperately reasonable either.

First time I've sold something on eBay and now regretting it.

Any words of wisdom from you clever eBay people about how to handle all this?

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Bought a brand new rattan furniture set (five pieces plus cushions, seats eight people), had it delivered and built, didn't think it fitted my garden so decided to put it on eBay, it sold the next day and was collected by courier the day after.

This all happened in the space of 2 weeks.

The buyer is now saying it's clearly an old set, been well used, looks worn etc and is talking about a refund.

It's obviously a big, bulky item and I don't want to have to pay to get a courier to collect, what a nuisance.

The buyer doesn't sound desperately reasonable either.

First time I've sold something on eBay and now regretting it.

Any words of wisdom from you clever eBay people about how to handle all this?

Could you not show then your original purchase receipt as proof its not old and well used?

• Like 2