Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Guest MattP
Just now, Dahnsouff said:

@Voll Blau @MattP

Don`t you feel that traditional print has been somewhat usurped by online media? A more dynamic, if less controlled plethora of overseers? 

Unfortunately yes, one of the main reasons we have people burning 5G towers and declaring Covid-19 as being created by anything from Bill Gates to the Democrat party is because on online media.

I've long argued for serious regulation of social media and how it allows "news" to be spread but I've almost given up on it now.

Even some previously decent reads like the Independent have gone pure clickbait, very sad.

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

@Voll Blau @MattP

Don`t you feel that traditional print has been somewhat usurped by online media? A more dynamic, if less controlled plethora of overseers? 

Yes, but it's still print that's making the money by and large even for newspaper groups which are putting their eggs more and more in the digital basket. Ad revenues have taken a huge hit because of the outbreak, hence why this appeal has been launched.

And I'm far from talking just about nationals here, locals too. There's some extraordinary work being done in the regional press to help the communities they serve through this.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Unfortunately yes, one of the main reasons we have people burning 5G towers and declaring Covid-19 as being created by anything from Bill Gates to the Democrat party is because on online media.

I've long argued for serious regulation of social media and how it allows "news" to be spread but I've almost given up on it now.

Even some previously decent reads like the Independent have gone pure clickbait, very sad.

That bit rings too true for me. Feel a point of trust (if not quite truth) was lost when we began to defer to social media.

(Or maybe that is an age thing.... :dunno: )

6 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Folks giving Sun/other Murdoch press journalists grief for promoting the #buyapaper campaign.

If you're celebrating the demise of a couple of newspapers you personally dislike, and think that the decimation of the industry which does more than any other to uphold our democracy is a price worth paying for that, then you are not anywhere near as clever as you think you are.

Something like the MP's expense scandal might never have come to light if it wasn't for print journalism. 

I think most people say The Times and The Sunday Times are quite well respected newspapers; yet some people don't realise Murdoch owns them too. In fact they used to make a loss and he propped them up with profits from his other papers like The Sun (now though the Sun makes a loss and the Times makes a profit - which I think is mainly due to The TImes adopting an online paywall early). When he owned SKY he ran Sky News as seperate entity and didn't have any input. I think Murdoch is an odious indivdual, but just trying to point out it isn't always black and white.

People seem to think they shouldn't have to pay for quality journalism. It costs money to do proper investigative journalism. And journalists know if they have to rely on advertisers or other sources for money, then they'll want power over the content.

You've just got to look at the USA's news to see how important proper journalism is. It's all so biased out there and advertisers have too bigger say in the news content. It's now got to the point where the news isn't really trusted in the USA. Serious journalism doesn't really make any money and is suffering there.

I really worry we are going down that route. But I hope we don't.

• Like 3

The Robert De Niro Kia “hipster’ advert. Can’t figure our if the director character in his flat cap, waistcoat, headphones worn as an accessory and sculpted beard is done humorously or the or the guy who made the ad was totally un-self aware.

Companies jumping on the NHS / stay at home / covid 19 bandwagon.

I'm usually fairly cyncial of marketing disguised as CSR but thought I'd give coronavirus related marketing the benefit of the doubt if it spreads the word of staying at home. Now its become so corporately obvious how companies are trying to profit from it its painful, how many companies have the key worker clap as part of their ad ffs.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

The Tik Tok or whatever they are called of that lad doing it is funny though tbf. He has got his facial expressions down to a tee. 

Yeah that was good, it’s more the shit pages like Footy Accumulators sharing the original video like “10 years since this 😂😂😂”.

Come on lads, move on. Same idiots who still find the Anti Niemi joke funny or add titanic music to goals. 

I don't think tesco understand the concept of placing a food order for 3 weeks time. How can eggs be unavailable, its ordered for the second of may, everything you stock should be available to order now for then, its only out of stock if it's not available at the time the order is due.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

There's a bit of an obsession with footballers being a bit overrated/underrated, it's boring. I literally never see anybody say Pogba is brilliant yet he's probably the most 'overrated' footballer out there because it's the done thing to say it.

Based on his transfer amount and weekly wage is my guess. 

11 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

All about the agents.  Need to be banned from the game.

The club should be the agent or after the first initial move for the player then the club is the agent, so there is still a place for them but it would stop players moving often because of there agents agenda and give more power to the clubs

Edited by whoareyaaa

8 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

The club should be the agent or after the first initial move for the player then the club is the agent, so there is still a place for them but it would stop players moving often because of there agents agenda and give more power to the clubs

Imagine showing up to an interview with an agent lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

There's a bit of an obsession with footballers being a bit overrated/underrated, it's boring. I literally never see anybody say Pogba is brilliant yet he's probably the most 'overrated' footballer out there because it's the done thing to say it.

I think Pogba, is a special case when talking about footballers being overrated. Because every football fan knows what he's capable of and knows how rare his combination of incredible technical ability and athleticism is, people are just disappointed because, for whatever reason, he hasn't lived up to his hype or realised his unique potential.

I agree that most other overrated/underrated arguments are tedious, though. 

Edited by Danizen
  • Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 00:24, oakman said:

The Robert De Niro Kia “hipster’ advert. Can’t figure our if the director character in his flat cap, waistcoat, headphones worn as an accessory and sculpted beard is done humorously or the or the guy who made the ad was totally un-self aware.

He used to be oh so picky on the roles he chose, now he’ll make any old 💩 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Seeing a lot of "post a pic of yourself playing football or donate £30 to charity" posts online.

Like, in what world do you think that's gonna make you look good if you choose the picture option?! lol

Depends if it’s a gif and how good your tekkers are 

Edited by Finnaldo

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Newcastle fans.

It doesn’t help I don’t really like them anyway because the media is so far up their arse. “They love their football up there, they like their number 9s up there” as if every other f ucker despises football and wishes death upon their goal scorers.  

Now a lot of them are delighted they’re rumoured to being taken over (they’ve just got the option atm in a legal sense as far as I’m aware). Already banging on about how their owner is richer than everybody else put together but were the same fans using zero hour contracts as a stick to beat Ashley with. Clearly you don’t give a f uck about human rights as long it’s a rich Saudi pumping money into your club (potentially). 

Even then, spending considerable amounts and having a big fan base doesn’t mean much in the premier league. Look at Everton and West Ham. 

I’ve never ever ever ever met a Newcastle fan in my entire life I’d have a pint with and talk about football. 

• Like 1