Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Gemma Collins and all those other useless ***** on TV. How people aren't finding this wastes of oxygen and giving them both barrels is beyond me. 

It's because even more stupid people are choosing to watch them/follow them/write about them to keep them relevant. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

The way this weekly applause is increasingly becoming something you're being judged for not doing.

So many people getting het up that "only two houses on our street did it" or they aren't seeing neighbours. When does this end? When is this seemingly pee-pressure enforced clap stop? When the virus is gone? If we don't clap do we not appreciate our key workers?

Now it's clapping, fireworks, singing, cowbells. I do feel sorry for the NHS workers who might be trying to get some sleep before they undertake another gruelling shift.

The first one was a brilliant spontaneous reaction to what was becoming a torrid situation for us all, and now it just feels like tokenism and competitive appreciation showing.

It reminded me of the two minutes hate, forced collective appreciation doesn’t take long to take a darker turn 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

The way this weekly applause is increasingly becoming something you're being judged for not doing.

So many people getting het up that "only two houses on our street did it" or they aren't seeing neighbours. When does this end? When is this seemingly pee-pressure enforced clap stop? When the virus is gone? If we don't clap do we not appreciate our key workers?

Now it's clapping, fireworks, singing, cowbells. I do feel sorry for the NHS workers who might be trying to get some sleep before they undertake another gruelling shift.

The first one was a brilliant spontaneous reaction to what was becoming a torrid situation for us all, and now it just feels like tokenism and competitive appreciation showing.

Tut tut. You make it sound like the world runs on social media “Likes” and one up man ship.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It's just not for me. Fine with the genuine feeling of appreciation people have, obviously, but banging pots and pans and having a laugh dancing in the street in aid of people who are dying trying to save lives because they're not being properly protected? I'm sure it must just be the way my mind works but it seems a bit odd, to put it mildly.

Much prefer the nice understated gestures I see each day on my morning walk, the simple "thank yous" and rainbows people have put up in their windows. It's dignified, but still raises a smile.

It wasn't for me first week, for all reasons you've said. Second week I could hear people in our street doing it and I stood on our doorstep and spontaneously joined in. Not because I wanted people to see me doing it but because it felt good to be part of something. It made me feel better, sort of like that singing in Italy. 

If someone doesn't want to do it I certainly wouldn't judge them for it but if it makes people happy I'm all for it. 

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It wasn't for me first week, for all reasons you've said. Second week I could hear people in our street doing it and I stood on our doorstep and spontaneously joined in. Not because I wanted people to see me doing it but because it felt good to be part of something. It made me feel better, sort of like that singing in Italy. 

If someone doesn't want to do it I certainly wouldn't judge them for it but if it makes people happy I'm all for it. 

Yeah, that's absolutely a fair enough position to take as well. Neighbours of mine have been outside clapping and I've no problem with it - it's just the more OTT elements of it that I can't abide given the gravity of the situation.

• Like 1

One thing about the applause, when you've been clapping for about a minute you start to wonder when you can stop. You can't really stop until everyone else has but 30 or 40 seconds later and they're still banging their saucepans you think, fvck this, I've done my bit and go in. 

• Haha 4

image.png.48fd5fb62782c3a5db1843d8c32e6c68.png

Not to come back like I'm flogging a dead horse, but my post yesterday is inspired by this type of militant crap. Honestly, legitimate concerns about fireworks upsetting kids and animals and this is the reply.

The reply worked, though, because the original comment of concern was deleted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

People that feel the need to put "rivalries aside" or something similar when tweeting condolences regarding loss of a footballer as if it's a necessary caveat.

Its the same as "i don't like his politics but I hope Boris doesn't die".  It's a defence against social media pile ons by willy pullers.

• Like 2

What sort of person sees those nationwide adverts and thinks oooh yeah I'm gonna switch to them. I've been with nationwide since my mum set up an account when I was a child, the shite adverts actually make me want to leave them.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Those poetry adverts boiled my piss from the very first one. They make my stomach turn. 

The stand up comedians aren't much better either. 

Problem with the comics is the joke has to be about money and it has to clean, kind of holds them back. Seen a few bits of Adam Rowe on youtube, and he's on the ads, and he's not bad. Maisie Adam isn't completely awful either.