Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Having just started a delivery job for Amazon after being made redundant, I can tell you that most of the drivers couldn't give a shit.

Most of them just dump a parcel on the doorstep and clear off, even if delivery instructions have been left on the app.

That's what all the drivers have told me to do, but I won't, because it's not right, and whatever job I do, I like to take some pride in it.

We have to deliver a ridiculous amount of parcels a day, for a flat rate, no matter how long it takes.

I'm not moaning, I know what I signed up for and I'm by no means the slowest, despite doing it properly, unlike most.

Takes me about 7 and a half hours to do 150 drops, handing the parcels to people, phoning them to ask what they'd like me to do, or dropping off to neighbours.

My respect for posties and delivery drivers has gone up so much since I started a couple of weeks ago.

Jesus. That's challenging. Are you an owner driver? 

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

No, I'm provided with an Amazon van. I get a slightly lower daily rate, but don't directly pay leasing costs and all my fuel is provided.

199 parcels and 150 drops today. Van looks like this!

Screenshot_20201218-104536_Gallery.jpg

Do you load all of the parcels into the van yourself?

1 minute ago, The Blur said:

Do you load all of the parcels into the van yourself?

Yeah, have to scan them and get them in the van asap and out of the depot.

I pull over before my first delivery and get it in some sort of order.

Most things are in those bags, you only scan the bag, not the contents, then my phone tells me which bag the parcel is in when I arrive at the address. Usually working 1 bag at a time.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, have to scan them and get them in the van asap and out of the depot.

I pull over before my first delivery and get it in some sort of order.

Most things are in those bags, you only scan the bag, not the contents, then my phone tells me which bag the parcel is in when I arrive at the address. Usually working 1 bag at a time.

Interesting!   What about the route planning-  how do you do that?

American Golf can get in the fvcking bin! 

Bought something for my dad a couple of weeks ago. It arrived damaged so as an Xmas gift it's not really suitable to give.

Tried to contact them via phone or after-sales e-mail. No response. The only way I managed to get any kind of response from them was through their request via Trustpilot and leave a review there. So I did. They got back to me on there and said to e-mail their after-sales team.

So I did. I eventually got an e-mail response asking me if I wanted to get a refund or a replacement.

I replied asking for a replacement and how long it might take given it's getting closer and closer to Xmas. No response. I chase. No response.

I got an e-mail today saying they've resolved the query :frusty:

Twats lol

Just now, The Blur said:

Interesting!   What about the route planning-  how do you do that?

Log on to my app in the morning, it tells me all my stops and how many parcels.

When you're loaded up, the satnav tells you where to go, even pinpoints the house perfectly. Then when you've let the app know it's delivered, it directs you to the next place.

Usually very grouped together. I've been in Desford all day today.

The route you don't want is town centre!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Log on to my app in the morning, it tells me all my stops and how many parcels.

When you're loaded up, the satnav tells you where to go, even pinpoints the house perfectly. Then when you've let the app know it's delivered, it directs you to the next place.

Usually very grouped together. I've been in Desford all day today.

The route you don't want is town centre!

Respect to you Tom. You're doing a job that many people would underrate. I have at times, got annoyed at all the vans bombing around cutting me up, parking in dangerous places, stopping unexpectedly etc. I've often wondered what the logistics companies demand of their van drivers. Can't be easy if you want to finish your shift but you get held up by traffic or other circumstances. Just don't put my parcel in my black bin, which has happened.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Respect to you Tom. You're doing a job that many people would underrate. I have at times, got annoyed at all the vans bombing around cutting me up, parking in dangerous places, stopping unexpectedly etc. I've often wondered what the logistics companies demand of their van drivers. Can't be easy if you want to finish your shift but you get held up by traffic or other circumstances. Just don't put my parcel in my black bin, which has happened.

Not many people like van drivers. My previous career was a car salesman...I'm not doing myself any favours am I? lol

I draw the line at becoming an estate agent.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Not many people like van drivers. My previous career was a car salesman...I'm not doing myself any favours am I? lol

I draw the line at becoming an estate agent.

I know someone recruiting traffic wardens if you’re interested? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Piss off lol surely not?

Straight up. I work with a few American tech companies and they're the worst.

We could do a deep dive on it and look at the optics, but our key stakeholders would probably see little value add.

Anyway, must get my ducks in a row. We could resched but I'll probably circle back to you later on it :thumbup:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Straight up. I work with a few American tech companies and they're the worst.

We could do a deep dive on it and look at the optics, but our key stakeholders would probably see little value add.

Anyway, must get my ducks in a row. We could resched but I'll probably circle back to you later on it :thumbup:

Reading that gave me a stroke lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Reading that gave me a stroke lol

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet Tom. Maybe we should pivot the idea and see if it washes it's face or not. Then we can peel the onion and get on all fours.

When you're a change agent like me, it's all about blue sky thinking. Anyway, time to boil the ocean and sweep the sheds. Lets take it to the next level and go after the low hanging fruit :thumbup: 

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet Tom. Maybe we should pivot the idea and see if it washes it's face or not. Then we can peel the onion and get on all fours.

When you're a change agent like me, it's all about blue sky thinking. Anyway, time to boil the ocean and sweep the sheds. Lets take it to the next level and go after the low hanging fruit :thumbup: 

You get your jokes from these people dont you?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You get your jokes from these people dont you?

It's all about the secret sauce Tom. Plenty of cross pollination and thought showers involved in the process.

Maybe we need to calendarize a meeting to lay the foundations? 

Anyway, I'm getting down in the weeds now. Lets keep this show on the road with a push/pull strategy. It's mission critical you know.

• Sad 1