Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

How many times did you actually get to watch him play Geoff? I’m not trying to be abrasive but it must have been limited to World Cup games? Seeing Messi do extraordinary things is almost the norm, it’s readily available. Players like Maradona and Pele had a mystique associated with them because there was so much you didn’t know then because football coverage was less comprehensive.

The worst thing about so much football coverage from around the world nowadays is that we never 'discover' these new players in major tournaments, like the World Cup.

Most turn out to be a disappointment, but I loved it. Cameroon in 1990, the Bulgarians and Romanians of 1994, the Senegalese in 2002. 

Sadly, these days are gone as we know pretty much every player before the the tournament starts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

How many times did you actually get to watch him play Geoff? I’m not trying to be abrasive but it must have been limited to World Cup games? Seeing Messi do extraordinary things is almost the norm, it’s readily available. Players like Maradona and Pele had a mystique associated with them because there was so much you didn’t know then because football coverage was less comprehensive.

Obviously TV coverage of him was limited here but when you did see him, whether in live telly games or highlights, he was just immense and lifted everyone around him.

He played in a less protected era where he was chopped to bits but still produced the goods a lot.

Maybe you're right, maybe time has clouded judgements a bit. 

But if I could pick one player at his peak it'd be Maradona.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Obviously TV coverage of him was limited here but when you did see him, whether in live telly games or highlights, he was just immense and lifted everyone around him.

He played in a less protected era where he was chopped to bits but still produced the goods a lot.

As many older foxrstalkers will already know, the greatest footballer to have graced this planet is Frank Worthington.

Messi & Maradona not fit to lace his boots.

29 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Nostalgia does cloud things. Recently there's been debates about if Hamilton is the greatest F1 driver of all time and people have rightly brought up Schumacher and mentioned what Senna might have done had he not died. Also mentioned Fangio, rightly too, and talked about the difficulties comparing eras and how dangerous cars were back in the 50's and 60's. But then people start bringing up very good drivers but ones who won very little. Gerhard Berger was mentioned, Stirling Moss too, who never won titles. Now I know Moss is often seen as the best driver to never win a championship, but comparing him to Hamilton, a 7 time world champion? You wouldn't compare Colin Montgomerie to Tiger Woods as good as Montgomerie was. Its ridiculous.

People just have this gooey eyed vision of the past, maybe because if they lived it they can lord it over those who didn't. The ones today who've only seen Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi, can be belittled by older people saying well you never saw Zidane, or Ronaldo, or Maradona or Pele etc and they can't really argue, because they didn't see them play live. Fact is we had great players in the past, and we have great players now, its subjective and probably no definitive answer, but with what CR and Messi have produced over thr past decade or so, they're very hard to ignore.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

As someone who never saw Maradona live and has had to use his highlights to judge him, it's hard to take claims that he was better than Ronaldo or Messi seriously when the 2 clips that get more air time than any other are his 'best goal ever' (a fairly pedestrian jog through a retreating and ineffective English defence) and what was surely history's most famous example of someone getting away with cheating in professional sports until Lance Armstrong came along .

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 3

On 22/11/2020 at 20:43, Tuna said:

Rachel Riley pics in the match thread, it was boring 4 years ago.

Can't stand her. Never got the pics thing on here, bit weird, but in general I didn't mind her whenever I saw Countdown. Went off her when she starting spouting politics shite on twitter, had to unfollow her. The one that confirmed it for me was when she photoshoped that picture of Jeremy Corbyn. But go back at her and she'll just cry off. Rachel Riley is a no no for me.

Susanna Reid too, as above by @whoareyaaa, she just seems to love herself.

On 22/11/2020 at 18:03, Facecloth said:

Nostalgia does cloud things. Recently there's been debates about if Hamilton is the greatest F1 driver of all time and people have rightly brought up Schumacher and mentioned what Senna might have done had he not died. Also mentioned Fangio, rightly too, and talked about the difficulties comparing eras and how dangerous cars were back in the 50's and 60's. But then people start bringing up very good drivers but ones who won very little. Gerhard Berger was mentioned, Stirling Moss too, who never won titles. Now I know Moss is often seen as the best driver to never win a championship, but comparing him to Hamilton, a 7 time world champion? You wouldn't compare Colin Montgomerie to Tiger Woods as good as Montgomerie was. Its ridiculous.

People just have this gooey eyed vision of the past, maybe because if they lived it they can lord it over those who didn't. The ones today who've only seen Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi, can be belittled by older people saying well you never saw Zidane, or Ronaldo, or Maradona or Pele etc and they can't really argue, because they didn't see them play live. Fact is we had great players in the past, and we have great players now, its subjective and probably no definitive answer, but with what CR and Messi have produced over thr past decade or so, they're very hard to ignore.

I think people forget how good players were. I'm just talking about players I grew up with here. You get the younger generation now fawning over De Brunye in this Country for example, and he's suddenly "the greatest midfielder of the PL era" but for me, he wouldn't get near Gerrard in his prime. (And that's not even mentioning the likes of Lampard, Keane and Viera.) And the twitter football weirdos will shoot that down because Gerrard never won a league title, but he was a player that could do everything (scoring long range goals, good in the air, defend, tackle, win the ball back, score set pieces, play anywhere, led the team and single-handedly won them games/trophies) and could have moved and won everything too. Which annoys me more because fans claim loyalty is gone but then laugh at players who did remain loyal and won nothing (see Gerrard/Shearer/Le Tissier etc).

The other day I saw a poll about whether Ramos is the best defender "of all time". I was amazed. He's good, of course he is, but again, in my lifetime, I'd take Maldini (even though he was left sided more)/Nesta/Cannavaro every time.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw but just going the other way with it.

Edited by Fox92

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Can't stand her. Never got the pics thing on here, bit weird, but in general I didn't mind her whenever I saw Countdown. Went off her when she starting spouting politics shite on twitter, had to unfollow her. The one that confirmed it for me was when she photoshoped that picture of Jeremy Corbyn. But go back at her and she'll just cry off. Rachel Riley is a no no for me.

The picture thing started in the great escape season, when the West Ham game wasn't going well, someone in the match thread said **** this, let's post pictures of Rachel Riley instead, and the game turned round. I got the joke for a little while but it quickly ran its course.

As for her politics, yeah can't stand her approach. She's allowed an opinion, and I don't dislike her because she's red or blue, but the way she conducts herself is appalling. Like you say, she cries of if people argue back or pull her up on her things like photoshopping. Also she claims to be Jewish. I don't doubt she has Jewish heritage, but she talks like she down the synagogue every week. She using the fact she has deep distance Jewish ancestors as a reason to push her political view in a hateful way.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I think people forget how good players were. I'm just talking about players I grew up with here. You get the younger generation now fawning over De Brunye in this Country for example, but for me, he wouldn't get near Gerrard in his prime. And the twitter football weirdos will shoot that down because Gerrard never won a league title, but he was a player that could do everything (scoring long range goals, good in the air, defend, tackle, win the ball back, score set pieces, play anywhere, led the team and single-handedly won them games/trophies) and could have moved and won everything too. Which annoys me more because fans claim loyalty is gone but then laugh at players who did remain loyal and won nothing (see Gerrard/Shearer/Le Tissier etc).

The other day I saw a poll about whether Ramos is the best defender "of all time". I was amazed. He's good, of course he is, but again, in my lifetime, I'd take Maldini (even though he was left sided more)/Nesta/Cannavaro every time.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw but just going the other way with it.

I think both the gooey eyed nostalgia and the over rating current players are both reactions to each other. Which came first is a bit chicken and egg, but I think the more one side pushes, the other side pushes back. The more people talk up Pele and Maradona, the more other will point at what Messi and Ronaldo are doing now, and the others will go again about how Maradona won a world cup single handedly (no pun) and it just goes on and on. There's no right answer, but as with everything these days, people have their position and they aren't moving from it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The picture thing started in the great escape season, when the West Ham game wasn't going well, someone in the match thread said **** this, let's post pictures of Rachel Riley instead, and the game turned round. I got the joke for a little while but it quickly ran its course.

As for her politics, yeah can't stand her approach. She's allowed an opinion, and I don't dislike her because she's red or blue, but the way she conducts herself is appalling. Like you say, she cries of if people argue back or pull her up on her things like photoshopping. Also she claims to be Jewish. I don't doubt she has Jewish heritage, but she talks like she down the synagogue every week. She using the fact she has deep distance Jewish ancestors as a reason to push her political view in a hateful way.

I'd rather look at Rachel Riley spouting crap political stuff than Ann Widdicombe

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

What..? Wait... When did that start? :o

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

When you're out washing your car and people walk past and go..

"you've missed a bit!!

"can you do mine too?!"

"any cleaner and you'll take the paintwork off!"

"it'll be dirty again by tomorrow!"

Hilarious. Be still my tickling ribs :rolleyes:

You've got a nerve complaining about other people's cheesy, shit jokes. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You've got a nerve complaining about other people's cheesy, shit jokes. 

I think you'll find my jokes are fvckin legendary old chap.

I'm the pound for pound king of jokes on here. Don't take your anger at Wales losing to England out on me :whistle:

• Haha 1