Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Our kit release has raised a question....

...did the original teams back in the day have away kits or was it tough shit if there was a kit clash on each teams one and only kit, eg, Stoke v Sheffield United?

16 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Our kit release has raised a question....

...did the original teams back in the day have away kits or was it tough shit if there was a kit clash on each teams one and only kit, eg, Stoke v Sheffield United?

Originally, it was only required that no two teams could register the same colours, to avoid a clash. As more teams came into being, each team had to register an away kit (sometime in the early twenties, I think).

Edit.

I was half right.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_colours#History_in_European_football

The interesting thing here is that originally it was the home team who had to change.

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Would you give any money to a homeless person?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Maybe it depends what kinda mood I'm in?

Last week I was walking through an underpass towards a young couple who were sleeping rough. My instinct was to put my hand in my pocket but as I got closer to them I noticed they were both looking at their i-phones so I decided against it.

It's difficult. I think maybe the best thing to do is buy homeless people a coffee and a sandwich rather than give them money if you want to help them...

Edited by Izzy

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

My mom used to give me heck for always giving money to this old guy that hung around the parking lot where she used to live. He would always find tickets on the ground that still had some time left on them and offer them. She would always say "He's only going to use the money to buy booze!". I'm like "If that's what he needs, then good for him!".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

My mom used to give me heck for always giving money to this old guy that hung around the parking lot where she used to live. He would always find tickets on the ground that still had some time left on them and offer them. She would always say "He's only going to use the money to buy booze!". I'm like "If that's what he needs, then good for him!".

You know you're Canadian when lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Yes, and do.

4 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Absolutely.

It's really irrelevant why he needs the money - if his life is so miserable that a couple of measly quid will improve it, why wouldn't you help? And anyway, who the fvck are we to judge him?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spacemunky said:

That's very generous of you when your mum lived in a parking lot herself. :P

• Haha 4

Had to work in central London for a few days last week - really noticed the amount of people sleeping rough. Was pretty shocking. 

People walking past them clutching their 3 quid latte.

Pretty sure no one should be homeless in this day and age. 

:(

19 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

As a kid i used to live off Uppingham Road / Scraptoft Lane and used to go to a park near a petrol station called (i think) the Trokadera.

On the park, lived a tramp (sorry if that word isn't PC anymore, but that's what we used to call him) who used to sleep on the bench. And every Wednesday when my Nan looked after me we would go to the petrol station, buy sweets and then goto the park.

I always used to give him some of my sweets and we would always stop and have a chat. To this day i recall it vividly and have always wondered what happened to him :( 

Apologies for being a bit off topic.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

As a kid i used to live off Uppingham Road / Scraptoft Lane and used to go to a park near a petrol station called (i think) the Trokadera.

Yep.

It was named after a cinema/dance hall that used to occupy the same land until it burned down a few years before you were born.

47 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

On the park, lived a tramp (sorry if that word isn't PC anymore, but that's what we used to call him) who used to sleep on the bench. And every Wednesday when my Nan looked after me we would go to the petrol station, buy sweets and then goto the park.

I always used to give him some of my sweets and we would always stop and have a chat. To this day i recall it vividly and have always wondered what happened to him :( 

Did he carry two huge suitcases and call everybody 'John'?

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Humbo park was it early eighties ish?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Yep.

It was named after a cinema/dance hall that used to occupy the same land until it burned down a few years before you were born.

Did he carry two huge suitcases and call everybody 'John'?

He did have suitcases but I don't recall his name as I was a young un

21 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

He did have suitcases but I don't recall his name as I was a young un

He was known as ‘John’ because that’s how he addressed everyone. 

He was an odd chap, a bit of an eccentric. He had a regular route which he always walked every day and you could set your watch by him. I had a Saturday job near the launderette on Uppingham Rd and he used to go in there every afternoon to change his clothes to an equally smelly and shabby set (that’s what he kept in the suitcases). He was pretty old even then, so I guess he’s long dead now. 

This was the trocadero before it burned down. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/firefighters-recall-trocadero-cinema-fire-445447

Edited by Buce

35 minutes ago, Buce said:

He was an odd chap, a bit of an eccentric. He had a regular route which he always walked every day and you could set your watch by him. I had a Saturday job near the launderette on Uppingham Rd and he used to go in there every afternoon to change his clothes to an equally smelly and shabby set (that’s what he kept in the suitcases). He was pretty old even then, so I guess he’s long dead now. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/firefighters-recall-trocadero-cinema-fire-445447

My uncle who died a few years back was always talking about the "Trocky" being young I never really asked or understood what he was referencing. Now I do.

• Like 1

i often stop and talk to homeless people in leicester and find out about how they ended up where they are, etc. I normally buy them a coffee or something to eat if they want it. 

it's interesting and you realise that in these times there are a huge number of people only one or two bad decisions away from being on the street.

it's ****ing shit - they're pretty much abandoned by underfunded services who struggle to support them and people assume they're all criminals, addicts, etc. 

all humans that were unfortunate / made a bad choice - treat them with some humility - it costs nothing, in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I think it was yes ,..well it would certainly fit in the timeline

41 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yes I remember him.What a blast from the past.I could never get my head round the fact that the petrol station used to be a cinema either ?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

That's really interesting and yes he was quite old back in the 80's … It makes you wonder what his life was before and why he turned to a life on the street. Quite sad tbh ..

16 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes I remember him.What a blast from the past.I could never get my head round the fact that the petrol station used to be a cinema either ?

Me neither either... I lived on Barbara Ave with my parents at the time and to me it was always a petrol station... I never till this day knew anything about it before.

On 05/05/2019 at 23:05, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Can anyone recommend a tiler? Need someone to do my kitchen & hallway. 

Steve Walsh-  keeping FTers tradesmans in business since 2010.   I swear you have been renovating your house since forever  lol 

2 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Steve Walsh-  keeping FTers tradesmans in business since 2010.   I swear you have been renovating your house since forever  lol 

lol you know what women are like there’s always something they want changing. 

Just under 2 years we’ve had this house and we gutted it before moving in. It’s been re-decorated twice, now it’s a new kitchen & hall floor she wants even though what we have got is perfectly fine. 

29 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

That's really interesting and yes he was quite old back in the 80's … It makes you wonder what his life was before and why he turned to a life on the street. Quite sad tbh ..

I bet he was eventually taken into a home.He probably just fell into that way of life and got used to it.Im going to ask a couple of my mates and my sisters if they can remember him.

A few months ago I was drink in town and got talking to a group of homeless and found their stories really sad as it's true what @lifted*fox said. 

Some of these women had just one bad event which put them on the streets, some of them for years.

In my drunken state I tried to give them money which they refused and I went home with £250 in my wallet.

I'd love to meet them again but I can't remember what any of them looked like.