Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

34 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Before we went to Majorca in April, just before Brexit was due to happen, we used the government website and it said my other half's passport wasn't valid, he had around the same time remaining I think. We just renewed it to be on the safe side, I know you said it was nothing to do with brexit but I think it is. From memory you need at least 6 months remaining on the passports. Whether or not it will be an actual problem or not I can't help, sorry. 

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe

Thanks Deb.

I think the separate Brexit issue is that we fly out before the 31st October (27th) and return a day after (Nov 1st) and a no-deal scenario might have an impact? Having checked on the link above, it does say that we should renew the kids passports as less than 6 months remaining.

I read on the Spanish Embassy website however that you can enter Spain and the Balearics with up to 3 months remaining so I think we'll just wing it. Even if we did renew them, it's only 10 days until we go, so unlikely to get them done in time. If we get challenged at the airport I'll just plead ignorance and hope they take pity on us :unsure:

26 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I went to Greece with 3 weeks left on my passport. Wasn’t an issue.

That was with Jet2. 

One rule for you and another rule for the rest of us - typical :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that gives me comfort as my kids are a lot less of an international security risk than you are and you got away with it, so...:D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks Deb.

I think the separate Brexit issue is that we fly out before the 31st October (27th) and return a day after (Nov 1st) and a no-deal scenario might have an impact? Having checked on the link above, it does say that we should renew the kids passports as less than 6 months remaining.

I read on the Spanish Embassy website however that you can enter Spain and the Balearics with up to 3 months remaining so I think we'll just wing it. Even if we did renew them, it's only 10 days until we go, so unlikely to get them done in time. If we get challenged at the airport I'll just plead ignorance and hope they take pity on us :unsure:

Seriously though, that gives me comfort as my kids are a lot less of an international security risk than you are and you got away with it, so...:D

My wife had less than 6 months and wasn’t allowed to go to Prague - not sure who turned her away, but she was refused travel and had to come back from the airport (pretty pissed off)!

We renewed our kids passports this year - did it all online, took their photos with the phone and uploaded it. Came through pretty quickly...

Maybe do that anyway and if they come before you leave then great, if not - you can do the pleading ignorance thing! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks Deb.

Don’t forget the factor 50, Izzy :kissing:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Milo said:

My wife had less than 6 months and wasn’t allowed to go to Prague - not sure who turned her away, but she was refused travel and had to come back from the airport (pretty pissed off)!

We renewed our kids passports this year - did it all online, took their photos with the phone and uploaded it. Came through pretty quickly...

Maybe do that anyway and if they come before you leave then great, if not - you can do the pleading ignorance thing! 

Cheers mate. I've checked out the on-line renewal and it takes approx 3 weeks apparently. You can do it quicker but have to book an appointment at the Post Office and it costs £122 per passport!

Maybe we should start the renewal process before we go anyway as you say :thumbup:

24 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks Deb.

Yes that was what I meant, when we went I'm sure brexit was due to happen while we were away but obviously didn't. If you need to you can get them done on the day, but it's more expensive. Does the Spanish website mean if we are still part of the EU? 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes that was what I meant, when we went I'm sure brexit was due to happen while we were away but obviously didn't. If you need to you can get them done on the day, but it's more expensive. Does the Spanish website mean if we are still part of the EU? 

Yeah, I guess it does but the 3 month rule seems to also apply to US visitors and others outside of the EU.

All so bloody confusing!

Lets hope that Boris gets a deal done and it's all hunky dory :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, I guess it does but the 3 month rule seems to also apply to US visitors and others outside of the EU.

All so bloody confusing!

Lets hope that Boris gets a deal done and it's all hunky dory :thumbup:

#youandIareintheminorityhereputtingourfaithinBoris 😊

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2019 at 05:42, Benguin said:

I keep having a sharp pain in my foot and thigh at exactly the same time that lasts for 5 seconds (kind of like a wasp sting)

any ideas? It seems weird that t happens at exactly the same moment in two seemingly unrelated areas of my leg.

Is you dead yet?

Who was the tosser who invented the closing sequence to Bargain Hunt?

During a planning meeting, someone clearly said:

"I tell you what'd be good: Every week, at the end of this fun programme about antique auctions, all the dowdy middle-aged participants should kick one leg in the air to express their enthusiasm for doing more bargain hunting".

Then everyone else in the meeting said: "Yeah! That's a great idea!"......and so it proved to be. 

• Haha 1

On 16/10/2019 at 16:51, Izzy said:

Has anyone got any experience of travelling outside the UK with less than 6 months left on your passport?

We booked a last minute week to Majora leaving in 10 days time and just noticed the kids passports have only got 5 months left on them.

I know this should just be a quick Google search but the answers I’m seeing are conflicting. The UK Gov site says 6 months but the Spanish embassy site says 3 months. 
Jet 2 don’t want to know and various travel forums also offer conflicting advice.

P.S. This has nothing to do with Brexit!!

Thanks 

Alot will still  depend on the individual Customs und their officers. Within Western Europe,I dont see too much problems,especially 2-5 weeks package holidays,

with the proof of return ticket...

Itt usually the long haul,und Open-end return,that Local Customs might question.

While travelling between India & Pakistan,on same trip,both customs forewarned me and put a courtiuos reminder in My Passport on each of the 3 months valid  Visa-stamp. I renewed while in India ,at the British consulate,with 2 months still Valid...I only had to wait 24-60 hrs,they had said..

I returned on the 2nd day,and my New passport was ready,with an extra Extended Visa for Autonymous regions,which I had requested.

In the same trip,but while in Pakistan my German Wife with kids in Passport ( though they had their own also), had hers renewed in 3 days.

We did have copies of all our Birth-certificates. We have always organized our own travels,and not once had problems. Been stopped and Checked often,but never any unpleasantness. 

Plus I openned a Topic a few weeks ago ,exactly on this Topic...After Brexit .Outside-UK travels.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Who was the tosser who invented the closing sequence to Bargain Hunt?

During a planning meeting, someone clearly said:

"I tell you what'd be good: Every week, at the end of this fun programme about antique auctions, all the dowdy middle-aged participants should kick one leg in the air to express their enthusiasm for doing more bargain hunting".

Then everyone else in the meeting said: "Yeah! That's a great idea!"......and so it proved to be. 

But you still Love und Watch it...!!!  

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

But you still Love und Watch it...!!!  

No, I've never seen a single episode. It's always finishing just before the lunchtime news, which I do watch. 

All I've ever seen, literally hundreds of times, is the announcement of money lost and the celebratory high-kicks of the middle-aged participants. :D

I think Tim Wonnacott started that high kicking tradition when he first began presenting Bargain Hunt. I saw him at Gilding's in Market Harborough a few years ago. Surprisingly, he seemed to be telling the director what to do all the while e.g. deciding to do retakes if a door slammed in the background whilst he was doing a piece to camera. This domineering approach he had kind of ties in with the reason why he was eventually forced to leave the programme - for alleged bullying of colleagues. (It was my first and only ever appearance on BBC1, loitering in the background as filming took place.)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

No, I've never seen a single episode. It's always finishing just before the lunchtime news, which I do watch. 

All I've ever seen, literally hundreds of times, is the announcement of money lost and the celebratory high-kicks of the middle-aged participants. :D

Not just middle-aged,they also have quite a few young participants....

i Enjoy it, would be wanna-bes, trying their luck to try out  First their bargaining/Handling skills,then to see if they can realise them in an Auction...

We even see,how the experts also often also get it wrong,  even on the positive side..!!!

Like Dragons-Den, sometimes Making incorrect judgement or gamble....

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Not just middle-aged,they also have quite a few young participants....

i Enjoy it, would be wanna-bes, trying their luck to try out  First their bargaining/Handling skills,then to see if they can realise them in an Auction...

We even see,how the experts also often also get it wrong,  even on the positive side..!!!

Like Dragons-Den, sometimes Making incorrect judgement or gamble....

No offence intended against the programme. I'm just more of a "Who do you think you are?" man.

Yes, I've seen a few young ones kicking a leg, too. Hope you're exercising your hamstrings in case they do a special edition in Germany.....

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

No offence intended against the programme. I'm just more of a "Who do you think you are?" man.

Yes, I've seen a few young ones kicking a leg, too. Hope you're exercising your hamstrings in case they do a special edition in Germany.....

I have also fancied applying...My youngest daughter used to like it when She was about 10 und loved to follow it occasionally....She is Now 24..

I asked if she would go with me....but she insisted she knew nothing about antiques.....

I told her she knew me,und loved Reading "Alt Bentley" posts on foxestalk, thats more experience than most she must know on Antiques, she Pointed out,

there is a big difference between Classic Antiques, and rusty buckets.... Then the Checky girl, Kicked her leg....:jump:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently discovered that my wife may have a half sister from her late father's previous marriage. The potential sister in this scenario is definitely a daughter of the lady that my wife's father was married to, and shares the same surname as my wife's dad. This could just be that his ex-wife kept the surname and had a daughter with another man so herein lies the problem. 

Does anybody know how to go about finding if my wife's dad is indeed the father of said woman, without contacting family members on his side and causing issues before Christmas has even begun! I know the Birth Certificate may show the father, but I understand that many birth certificates only show the mothers name? We want to make sure that said woman is a relation before we considering contacting her siblings etc. 

I have looked at a few free database sites and found information on the ex wife and can see that she still seems to go by her married name and lives with said daughter, or at least used to according to those records.

My low budget Sherlock novel depends on it. 

48 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Recently discovered that my wife may have a half sister from her late father's previous marriage. The potential sister in this scenario is definitely a daughter of the lady that my wife's father was married to, and shares the same surname as my wife's dad. This could just be that his ex-wife kept the surname and had a daughter with another man so herein lies the problem. 

Does anybody know how to go about finding if my wife's dad is indeed the father of said woman, without contacting family members on his side and causing issues before Christmas has even begun! I know the Birth Certificate may show the father, but I understand that many birth certificates only show the mothers name? We want to make sure that said woman is a relation before we considering contacting her siblings etc. 

I have looked at a few free database sites and found information on the ex wife and can see that she still seems to go by her married name and lives with said daughter, or at least used to according to those records.

My low budget Sherlock novel depends on it. 

Have you looked on Ancestry? It's possible that she or her mum is part of a family tree on there, which may help. If he is her father and went to register the birth he will be named on the certificate, I think you can view them online these days. 

I think it would be unusual to give her daughter another man's surname, I still use my married name although I'm divorced, but if I had a child with my new partner but didn't marry him, I would give the child his name, not my old married name. I suppose it depends if she stayed with the father or not, if it's not your wife's dad.... 

• Like 1