Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 09/11/2019 at 10:30, Crinklyfox said:

Anyone with an expertise in Inheritance Tax?  I believe that the exempt limit is £325,000 after which the taxman grabs 40%.  That's 40% of my savings which I've already paid tax on to bank.  I'd like my children to get what I've earned, not HMRC.  

I'm considering blowing the lot to buy a property which I can gift to them.  I believe that I have to live for seven years to avoid inheritance tax if I do and even then if the property appreciates in value HMRC will be after them for Capital Gains Tax.

None of this is very palatable but I'm after any strategy that gets my assets to my children.

On 30/11/2019 at 21:08, PAULCFC said:

Give them your bank card and just say withdraw whatever a day.Going through this myself!Mum was told,well not mum but me,she had 24 to 48 hours to live on Sunday and she's still going.Sound's a bit callous but withdraw what you can until at death the bank account is frozen.

Me and my sister are going through the same, with house/money etc. Our mum is 77 but has faded a lot in the past 2 years.

Feels a bit grubby doing this stuff but I suppose it's just sensible tax planning.

Our mum did similar with her mum's house way back when so she understands what needs doing.

On 09/11/2019 at 10:30, Crinklyfox said:

Anyone with an expertise in Inheritance Tax?  I believe that the exempt limit is £325,000 after which the taxman grabs 40%.  That's 40% of my savings which I've already paid tax on to bank.  I'd like my children to get what I've earned, not HMRC.  

I'm considering blowing the lot to buy a property which I can gift to them.  I believe that I have to live for seven years to avoid inheritance tax if I do and even then if the property appreciates in value HMRC will be after them for Capital Gains Tax.

None of this is very palatable but I'm after any strategy that gets my assets to my children.

So my grandad set up a trust fund for my dad and his siblings of a certain amount (not sure of the technicalities), but pretty sure having things in a trust fund stops inheritance tax taking a chunk. He died start of the year so they're all sorting this out now.

I may be wrong or misheard a conversation however. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Stadt said:

Besides The Offie in Clarendon Park is there anywhere around LC that sells interesting beers? As in nice German lagers/craft stuff

Just done a search on here to see if there was a suitable thread to ask exactly the same question!

Never been to The Offie - Looked on the links to the shop a few times but never been in, any good? Do they do any offers/Is there a list of their usual stock anywhere? And a price list?

Want something abit different for Christmas.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just done a search on here to see if there was a suitable thread to ask exactly the same question!

Never been to The Offie - Looked on the links to the shop a few times but never been in, any good? Do they do any offers/Is there a list of their usual stock anywhere? And a price list?

Want something abit different for Christmas.

I’ve never been either, just heard it’s very good 

Can someone help?

would love to get a proper copy of this specific picture

you all recognise one of them…. The other person is soul singer Linda Lewis…

How do you get hold of a copy I could blow up to a4 (ish) size?

EDIT…. Think I’ve found it

https://www.magnoliabox.com/products/frank-worthington-and-linda-lewis-1974-00571093

578E0500-06EE-4C43-9940-11F8325B3577.jpeg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Would you rather fight 1 horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses 

100 duck sized horses. Shrunk down to that size they'd have spindly little legs and won't be running back too quickly after a quick punt into the air...

Unless of course they organise and launch a planned attack. 100 duck-sized horses in one coordinated charge from multiple angles could make life tricky.

If a regular-sized swan can break a mans arm with its wings, I don't fancy my chances against a horse-sized duck who would presumably be rather more aggressive...

• Haha 2