Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I only just got my first one with Santander as it's who I usually bank with. If you're with them I'd recommend any of their viable options as it's dead easy to manage and the mobile app is pretty good.

Sounds like I work for them.

1 minute ago, Manini said:Don’t know if they do any which are specifically tailored to suit travelling abroad, but I’ve used Barclaycard for all my credit in the past and they’re really good. 

Thanks guys, I have actually applied or the virgin one as it seems good for travel and that is all I need it for.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else wonder why Ant from Ant & Dec gets off pretty much scot-free* since his drink-driving incident?

*By scot-free, I know he got fined and banned (?) but everyone seems so sympathetic to him as if he wasn't over 2x limit and caused a collision with a few other cars.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 12:14, Unabomber said:

Need a credit card for my holiday in New York. Haven’t had one before does anyone have any advice? I am thinking of getting the virgin travel one.

If you have the funds already then I'd get a Revolut Card. Revolut.com  They're the safest for travelling as you can just top it op from your phone as you go. 

That way you can only lose or be scammed out of whats on the Card at that time. It's no good if your looking to pay off  your holidays after you come home. As it's not a credit Card.

11 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

Has anybody unblocked an iPhone before, I’ve been given a phone but it’s for O2 and my sim is EE. I’ve seen some online companies can do it for £15 but are these trust worthy?

Yes all the time i upgrade so i can give my old phone away. However i just call up my supplier which is EE and they unlock the phone for free, so if you know the person you got the phone from, get them to speak to their supplier and unlock for nothing. If you don't then i cant see there being any problem unlocking at one of the £15 shops, all they do is remove the software part that ties the phone to a certain network. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I've got some leftover stabilising primer that was used to prep some old plaster. Can it be used as a base coat on top of freshly hung lining paper before painting over with the top coat, or should I just get a standard matt emulsion primer?

If only @Webbo was still around here to advise...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I've got some leftover stabilising primer that was used to prep some old plaster. Can it be used as a base coat on top of freshly hung lining paper before painting over with the top coat, or should I just get a standard matt emulsion primer?

Why do you want to prime the lining paper? Just use 2 coats of emulsion.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

how long does the post office hold a parcel for? someone tried to deliver something to my flat in leeds, but i'm not there, i'm living in liverpool for the #LOCKDOWN. normally the concierge would take the parcel but i'm guessing he ain't there either cos of the lockdown, so they've "attempted delivery and now your parcel can be picked up from your local post office".

but i ain't driving all the way to leeds and wasting my one trip out the house just to get a parcel. will it still be there in a month? or will they just bin it. or send it back to where it came from? 

59 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

how long does the post office hold a parcel for? someone tried to deliver something to my flat in leeds, but i'm not there, i'm living in liverpool for the #LOCKDOWN. normally the concierge would take the parcel but i'm guessing he ain't there either cos of the lockdown, so they've "attempted delivery and now your parcel can be picked up from your local post office".

but i ain't driving all the way to leeds and wasting my one trip out the house just to get a parcel. will it still be there in a month? or will they just bin it. or send it back to where it came from? 

Usually 14 days. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

I think it's about 2 weeks but I believe that you can book a redelivery online and ask them to take it to a neighbour if you know anyone that will take it for you.  Now that I think about it, you may need the ref number on the little red card that they leave or failing that the tracking number.

After 2 weeks it will be returned to sender.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I think it's about 2 weeks but I believe that you can book a redelivery online and ask them to take it to a neighbour if you know anyone that will take it for you.  Now that I think about it, you may need the ref number on the little red card that they leave or failing that the tracking number.

After 2 weeks it will be returned to sender.

oh man this is not the news i wanted to hear 

On 21/03/2020 at 17:48, Innovindil said:

Does anyone know if I need an instagram account to watch a live stream on there? Lindsey stirling is doing a performance later and I don't have an account and can't seem to make one either :(

Had to check who she was, was wondering what type of performance. 

Not as interested now.

In something of a quandary and just looking for a bit of advice, I think.

A day ago, I had a good possible job opportunity made available to me. Better pay, better benefits, in a likely better place than I am now. It's a benefits package that would really be a step up.

The downside is that they need a person pretty much immediately. And as such taking that job if offered would mean me breaking a contract with my current employer, with all that entails. No financial penalties, but I don't like screwing people over. Also, for at least the first few months the job I would be in would be probationary and I would need to take on an additional qualification alongside the job which would be a big increase in both workload and stress, along with all the classic Covid-19 related uncertainty now.

So...do I roll the dice and go for it? Or do I turn it down and want to angle for a similar opportunity at another time?

I have until tomorrow to decide on it.

Just now, leicsmac said:

In something of a quandary and just looking for a bit of advice, I think.

A day ago, I had a good possible job opportunity made available to me. Better pay, better benefits, in a likely better place than I am now. It's a benefits package that would really be a step up.

The downside is that they need a person pretty much immediately. And as such taking that job if offered would mean me breaking a contract with my current employer, with all that entails. No financial penalties, but I don't like screwing people over. Also, for at least the first few months the job I would be in would be probationary and I would need to take on an additional qualification alongside the job which would be a big increase in both workload and stress, along with all the classic Covid-19 related uncertainty now.

So...do I roll the dice and go for it? Or do I turn it down and want to angle for a similar opportunity at another time?

I have until tomorrow to decide on it.

Go for it, if you feel the people there are decent and it’s a better fit for you

I am sure your current employers won’t begrudge you if you are moving up in the world